“Always an excellent experience”

Chippewa Hotel Waterfront
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Second year we've stayed at the Chippewa and it was a consistently great experience. I personally rate this the top hotel on the island if you want something that is reasonably priced and takes advantage of the harbor view and waterfront while being in the thick of it all. Surprisingly few hotels on Mackinac Island can pull this off or embrace the water view. Definitely splurge for the water view if you can and both times we've stayed, the cost has only been marginally more (+- $25).

Rooms have always been very nice, clean, well equipped, and surprisingly large. I believe all of the waterfront rooms have wet bars and a fridge and are technically "suites" with a separate sitting area. Our last stay had a sitting room rivaling our living room at home. New Samsung flat panel TV's this year in both rooms.

The Pink Pony, one of the better bars and night-life spots on the island is connected/off the lobby. Some might think the noise is somewhat undesirable but we found it to be managed very well and is a nice side affect when you're on your balcony overlooking the water enjoying a drink and the live entertainment is playing just below. This visit we stayed on the second floor just above the bar and it was perfectly fine and almost silent if you shut the door. It's also one of the few hotels (The Grand and Mission Point Resort being the others) that have some sort of pool option, though it's technically a large hot-tub...but again, being on the water is tough to beat.

Overall, I highly recommend if you want the full Mackniac experience. Archie and the other dock porters are the best and the staff has always been great and very helpful. You really can't go wrong.

PS - We've had great experiences with the Star Line ferry the last two years but a tip for the Chippewa is to use the Arnold Line ferry as it lets off at the dock immediately adjacent to the hotel. If you're traveling light you can avoid the dock porter fee/tip.

Room Tip: Definitely pick the water view if you can...higher rooms are slightly more expensive but the view ge...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our say at the Chippewa Hotel. It was absolutely beautiful. This is a return trip for us and this time we stayed on the waterfront side. WOW!! While the rooms were more expensive, you soooo get what you pay for. The bed room was spacious and there was a living room looking out to the water, and a beautiful balcony. We also took advantage of the Huge Hot tub, almost swimming pool size! Later that night we enjoyed the milk and cookie turn down service and the staff was great! What we loved the most was the Pink Pony Grill and Harbor View Restaurant which were right downstairs. The food was great and the service amazing. We really appreciated the attentive manager.

Room Tip: Really consider staying on the Harbor View side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My Mother and I spent one night here, for her 76th birthday. In March we had originally booked a deluxe lakeview room but a few days before we were to arrive Nadine from the hotel called to let us know our room would be out of service so they were wondering if we would allow them to upgrade us to a harborview suite. Allow? Of course! :) What a nice surprise for my Mom's birthday! We took the Arnold ferry from Mackinaw City, which we had chosen because it is the closest ferry to the hotel so Mom wouldn't have far to walk. We arrived about 11:00, and as expected our room was not ready but they offered to call on my cell phone when it was. We went into a few of the shops, toured the butterfly house, and had a nice lunch at the Huron Street Pub & Grill about a block away. Checked my phone and there was a message saying our room was ready, so we went back and were able to check in about 1:30. Front desk staff was very pleasant, friendly and extremely helpful. We were in room #312 on the third floor. Mom loves lighthouses and was pleased to see the decor of the suite was done in a lighthouse theme.

Upon entering the room there were two beds, night stand (no bedside clock though, I found that strange), huge dresser with mirror and a corner wall-mounted large screen TV. There was a small closet too. Next was the bathroom area, sink/vanity on the right, then through the door was the toilet, tub/shower (curved shower rod, which I always appreciate). There were Lilac Tree toiletries and soaps, and a wall-mounted hair dryer.

Unfortunately there is no door that separates the bedroom from the bath and living area so that makes it less private, and allows for more noise to travel from the living area to the bedroom if someone is trying to sleep and someone else is watching TV in the living area.

The living area was very large, with a sofa (not sure if it was a sleeper sofa or not, I didn't check), 2 cushioned white wicker easy chairs (one with ottoman), 2 side tables with nautical lamps and another lamp behind one of the chairs, coffee table, wall mounted large screen TV with a table under it, round wicker dining table and 2 cushioned chairs. There were ceiling lights/fans in both living room and bedroom. There was a wet bar in one corner with small frig, microwave, sink, and cabinets above holding glasses, cups, coffee maker, etc.

There was a balcony off the living area, facing the harbor. It contained two chairs and a small table. The balconies are not private, but that was fine because if they had walls your view would be majorly obstructed. Even though it was chilly, and sometimes rainy, I enjoyed going out onto the balcony to watch the boats. A couple freighters went by as well.

The room was in very good condition, and extremely clean.

The bellman, Archie, brought our luggage up within a few minutes after we checked in.

The hotel lobby has a couch and several chairs. There is a small shop attached, and the Harborview Restaurant and Pink Pony Bar. There is only one small elevator, but we never had much of a wait for it. I sometimes took the stairs while Mom took the elevator.

Hallway noise is easily heard in the bedroom area, but I use ear plugs at night so wasn't bothered. I did hear people talking loudly in the hall and slamming doors just a few minutes past 7:00 in the morning (I had been up an hour). I never understand why people can't close their doors quietly and whisper in the halls if it's late night or early morning. And my Mom said she heard a child running up and down the hallway when she went to bed. But she is an early-to-bed person so it was well before the posted "quiet hours" of 11 p.m. - 7 a.m.

We did enjoy our stay very much, and I would love to go back again sometime.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed May 11th and 12th, opening weekend. We had a third floor corner suite, a view of the harbor from the balcony and a view of the fort from the windows. It was cold, raining and SNOWED! So having the incredible view from inside the room, was a very nice feature. The hot tub and patio bar were still closed, I hope to go back again when it's warmer to enjoy those. I received a free breakfast on Mother's Day, how nice! And I had a $20 coupon for the restaurant which I printed from trip advisor. Thanks! It took a long time to get hot water to the shower and sink, but with an old building I expected that. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We stayed at the Chippewa Hotel Waterfront in July 2012, and had a wonderful time. When we arrived on the ferry, we had just a short walk to our hotel (you can see it from Arnold ferry docking point). Checkin was easy, and our bags were waiting in our room. We loved that our beds were separate from the living area (we have two little kids who go to bed earlier than we do). We called the front desk for a pack & play, and one was brought up right away. The staff at the front desk helped us navigate the carriage taxi system. We loved our patio, where we could watch the ferries come in. It was right on the bay. My husband and I sat on our patio after the kids went to sleep and listened to the live music floating up from the Pink Pony Patio. It was great. I was worried that the music would be too loud, but you couldn't hear it in the sleeping area. My kids loved the cookies and milk brought up in the evening. The whirlpool is technically a whirlpool, but it isn't very hot, and it's huge, so we thought of it as more of a small pool. My kids had fun in it. The Chip is right across the street from a grocery store, so that was very convenient. We ate at the Pink Pony for lunch one day, and it was fine. The hotel's decor is older, like most Mackinac Island properties, but that doesn't bother us. All in all, it's a great location, great amenities, awesome staff. We had a FANTASTIC time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We have stayed at the "Chip" the past three summers and have been thrilled with our accommodations. We stayed on the 4th floor in a two bedroom suite that was amazing. The beds are comfortable, living room is very spacious and the hotel had a perfect pack-n-play for my two year old! The nautical decor makes you feel like its your island home away from home. The view of the water and boats on your private balcony makes you never want to leave your room. I highly recommend this hotel for families or for a non-children getaway. The Pink Pony is a "must visit" bar and in my opinion it has the best Blood Mary on the island. We also had dinner in the main dining room of the hotel and loved it - recommend dinner or breakfast during your stay. But the best hidden secrete of the Chippewa Hotel is the "back bar" of the pony.....the outside bar overlooking the water, boats and hotel hot tub, a perfect place the have an island cocktail! My entire family has stayed at this hotel and we can't say enough nice things about the staff, accommodations and location on Main Street! We'll be back again this summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view if possible!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Elizabeth T
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with a nice balcony over-looking the harbor. It was very nice. The balconies are not private from the neighboring balconies, a bit of a draw back as our neighbors were enjoying a weekend beer drinking extravaganza on their balcony. This was not the hotel's fault, of course. Our suite was very nice, it was very clean. Very big with nice amenities. Location is fantastic if you like to be in the thick of it, which we do. Pink Pony is on the first floor and cannot be beat for food, service, and entertainment. I did note the following drawbacks:
1) not enough bike parking at the hotel.
2) our shower was above the large Jacuzzi tub in our suite and very difficult/next to impossible to use as the tub floor is very slanted and slippery when wet. It was very difficult to stand in and shower.
3) a tiny and slow elevator which is typical for antique hotels and does not bother us at all, we used the stairs.
4) the large multiple person "hot" tub was freezing and there was no way to increase the heat.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay there and I would recommend it to other families.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family