“Hotel okay, skip Mackinac Island, head to Traverse City or Charlevoix instead”

Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
USA
“Hotel okay, skip Mackinac Island, head to Traverse City or Charlevoix instead”
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Located in the center of Main St, where all the shopping and dining establishments are located. Lobby is separate from hotel; elevator to rooms is public -- anyone could go right up to the rooms. Stayed in King Club $uite w/balcony -- their top-of-line room. Was not on the water as I expected, but had a view of the water (over/between other ugly buildings). From the beautifully decorated hallway, you enter into the bedroom, the pass through bathroom, into sitting room where the balcony was.

The bedroom decorations were colorful and attractive, bed linens were clean/comfy, with a small TV on a shelf; the sitting area was all kelly green -- a bit much. Nice big jacuzzi tub and double sink with large mirror. In the sitting room, there is a couch/chairs, table/chairs, large flatscreen TV, inexpensive sink/frig/counter area. On the balcony, a table/chairs.

Upon arrival, I discovered that the AC was not working. To their credit, they did fix that right away and I had no further problem. One table was very dusty, but the rest of the room was clean.

Would have preferred the bedroom and sitting room areas switched for two reasons: (a) vending/ice was RIGHT OUTSIDE MY DOOR, so every night I could hear ice/cans dropping and sometimes people talking loudly in the hallway (b) would have enjoyed the view (what there was of it)/lake air from bed. However, guests might not want to hear the continuous clippety-clop of horses or, in busier season, more shoppers/diners on Main St.

Hotel staff was friendly and responsive, but the hotel doesn't do anything to make your stay special. With a little thought/effort, it could be more.

I wanted quiet and relaxing, on the water. Would have done better to stay in Traverse City or Charlevoix instead. Mackinac Island is beautiful, but basically an expensive tourist trap with lousy shops and okay-at-best dining. Metevier Inn on Market St looked to be more what I wanted, but is not on the water. Enjoyed the scenery but would not go back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank fatjoonie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Washington DC
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We had a spacious two room suite with balcony overlooking Main Street-- comfortably laid out and well thought out. It was not at all noisy, although we were there mid-week and the Island was not that crowded. Staff was very nice, very helpful. I did feel that while generally clean and comfortable, faciliity maintenance could be stepped up a bit. Overall, though, a good experience. If the system allowed, I would rate this between a three and a four -- better than three, but not quite a clear four; but since it is clearly above three, I am giving it a four.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Oxford, MI
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This is the best place to stay on the Island. Staff is wonderful - very responsive to requests and always very friendly. Location is perfect - right in the center of town and easily accessible from ferrys and great restaurants. Room was perfect - our two room suite was divided by a bedroom door that allowed children and parents their own separate, quiet space. Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 September 2009

On each trip to Mackinac Island, we try to stay somewhere different to sample the many hotels and B&B's on the island. This trip, our stay was at the Lilac Tree, which I honestly didn't realize was an all-suite hotel.

Our room was divided into a sleeping area (closest to the hall) with the bathroom and sink area separating the living room which included the balcony. That simple setup allowed us to put our 3 year-old daughter to bed and without disturbing her, stay up and watch tv or more likely, sit on the balcony and watch the activity on Main Street.

The hotel is updating it's rooms and while ours still had the previous scheme (which was still nice), my sister's room was very nice with new wallpaper, carpet and furniture including a flat-screen TV.

The hotel lobby is quite small and the elevator is outside in atrium area, which in some cities would concern me, but it wasn't a problem on Mackinac Island.

A couple of highlights to mention is the great downtown location and the nightly turndown service which included Oreo cookies and milk (seriously). The best feature, though, was the size of the room. You could probably fit two standard rooms in our room (212).

My brother in-law had an okay massage in the spa, but Stu Stuart's comedy show at the hotel was quite enjoyable. Overall, a very nice visit that I'd be happy to repeat anytime.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank AtlantaPhotog
Lansing, MI
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I reserved an island side suite which worked perfectly. The bedroom had two beds, one for my 2-year old and one for myself. There was a separate living area complete with doors so she could have a quiet room to herself while the others in the suite could watch TV and talk. There was a also a refrigerator, handy for keeping her milk cold. The rooms were spacious and the tub was enormous. And the porter was very fast - from the time I called the front desk until the time he showed up was about two minutes.

The largest flaw in the hotel is noise. It's an old building, so sound travels, and the noisy wedding parties in the hall could be heard quite clearly. Also, the elevator and stairs to the upper floors are not located in the lobby, and do not require a key card, so anyone can wander through the hotel. And that is what happened, as there was a group of people that would run down the halls and jump up and down in the elevators (which was right by the head of my bed). The front desk was responsive to send someone investigating the noise, but it still took a while for the noise to end.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay, if not quite enough sleep as we would have liked. Hopefully, it was an isolated incident.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank ScottSto
Combined Locks, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 September 2009

The lobby of the hotel is located on the ground floor in the midst of various shops so the place definitely has the feel of a Hotel rather than a B&B. I took the advice of many on this site and stayed at the Lilac instead of The Grand and used the money I saved on a nice dinner at the Grand for my sweet bride & me. It was definitely the way to go. I sprung for the suite with a balcony and didn't have any issues with hearing noise from the street. I forgot to bring a corkscrew and the front desk was quick to help me out even though the gal working the desk appeared a bit annoyed. The Lilac's location was right in the middle of everything. It was close enough that when we left we just walked to the ferry with our luggage since we were running late. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joe J
tawas, michigan
Reviewed 20 August 2009

The Lilac Tree Hotel and Spa is located right in the "middle" of downtown Mackinac Island and in August it is a busy place but that is the way we like it. We had a street side room - throughly enjoyed the scenery from the balcony and meeting the people next to us. Sitting at night on the balcony enjoying some cherry wine and the summer breeze was delightful. The room was very clean with plenty of space and comfort. If you want quiet just close the balcony door - simple. Another plus for us is that all the good resturants and attractions are no more that a ten minute walk and I could walk to the Grand Hotel in the evening (with my golf clubs) and play nine holes - no problem. I would really recommend this hotel for families because of the size of the rooms and its location. We had a great time!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple