Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
Excellent 5/5
Murray Hotel(Mackinac Island)
Very Good 4/5
  • Restaurant
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
  • Breakfast included
Chippewa Hotel Waterfront(Mackinac Island)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Iroquois(Mackinac Island)
  • Breakfast included
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
Grand Hotel(Mackinac Island)
Mission Point(Mackinac Island)
  • Pool
All reviewsmain streetbalcony roommilk and cookiessister hoteldouble sinksoreosstay there againtop floorturn down serviceliving areamiddle of townpink ponypeople watchingflat screenbeds were comfortablegreat place to stayjacuzzi tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2010

While the room was nice, the web site does not do a good job of letting you know that the referenced restaurant/bar (Pink Pony) is not on site. The front desk is not helpful; they could not even tell me how late a bicycle could be rented. If you're looking for something quiet, the downtown location has a great deal of noise.

They also tried to charge us for smoking in the room (which we did not). We did smoke on the balcony but that is a no-no too! Read the fine print before you sign anything and don't expect them to tell you about it. They just indicated I should initial that we would not smoke in the room - which we did not. The fine print lists balcony too! My fault for trusting them. When they called to let us know not to smoke on the balcony we complied immediately.

The really bad thing was they tried to charge $100 for smoking in the room, but tried to hide it as well! I wasn't given a bill until I demanded it. That's when they admitted the charge. Really, really NOT a good thing. They charge way too much $$$$ for this kind of treatment. Did they need the $100 for Febrezing the "air"?

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mobile55
bballer, General Manager at Lilac Tree Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2010

I am very sorry that you had a poor experience. We certainly strive to give excellent customer service to our guests. Our front desk associates are trained to explain the new Michigan Smoking Law regarding guest rooms and balconies. I'm sorry that they did not convey this clear enough. It was not mentioned that the $100 charge was taken off their bill. We have since changed our policy to warn about smoking first and only charge if the warning is ignored. Every customer upon checkout receives an itemized copy of their folio, we certainly do not "hide" any charges.
Being a destination we train our associates to know as much as possible about the Island to help our guests with all sorts of questions. Since we are not in the bicycle business however, I think that this would be a difficult question to answer. The associate should have made a call on your behalf however.
Even though the Lilac Tree Suites & Spa is convienently located in the middle of downtown, it is certainly a very quiet hotel with nice size airconditioned two room suites.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

We purchased a night at the hotel at a charity auction, figuring that we couldn't go wrong with a place on Mackinac Island! The hotel was on the main street and overall was okay. Things that drove me crazy - the toilet ran for about 5 minutes before you could flush it again, the sheets would not stay on any of the beds (had to get up several times in the night to attempt to put the sheets back on the bed...gross!), the coffee pot had not been cleaned and the cups were still dirty in the room, wallpaper falling off everywhere, room faced an alley, hairdryer barely blew any air.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at the Lilac Tree. The location is great and the front desk is very friendly. We would definitely stay there again. There were only two things that I didn't care for. The cups and glasses are 'washed' each day when the maid comes in. They didn't actually clean them but rinsed them out instead. The other was one afternoon as we were relaxing in our room the maids came in unexpectedly. We didn't hear them knock and I was quite startled to look up and see people in my room. They asked if we'd like milk and cookies which we declined. I probably would have taken them had I not been so panicked. We felt it was a bit odd. All in all, we love it there and will go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank artgirl59
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Paid over $300 for a "suite" with 3 Queen beds (which were actually pretty comfortable). There were no windows in living room area and the one window in the bedroom overlooked an alley and the backs of buildings. Rooms seemed clean but walls were covered in outdated peeling wallpaper, metal frame in bathroom's drop-ceiling was extremely rusted, ceiling tiles were stained. The two main rooms have worn golf course green carpeting. Some of the lamps didn't work. I was kind of embarassed that I picked this hotel for my family to stay at given the condition of the rooms. But the hotel's location is right on main street and I had assumed it would be a lot nicer given it's name "Lilac Tree Suites and Spa." Not a seedy place, but desperately needs attention and updating and definitely not worth $300+ a night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I hesitate to write this review because it'll just make more people want to stay there and then the rates will go up! We stayed at the Lilac in June of 2009 and it was great. Staff were very helpful and atmosphere was very relaxing. We enjoyed massages downstairs and our third floor suite was HUGE. We marveled at how nice it all was for the price. There are many places to stay on the island that are NOT air-conditioned, and they cost more!
We had A/C, T.V., refrigerator, coffee pot and more for a great price in a spacious room. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple