1,118 results
All reviews guest house shared balcony oatmeal main building carriage house continental breakfast short walk hard boiled eggs rent bikes air conditioning enjoyed our stay great place to stay front porch no elevator stay there again close to town coffee cake
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I had a great experience staying at Harbor View Inn. We booked a last-minute room 2 days before our trip; at $200, it was the cheapest and one of the only hotels available. We were concerned by some of the negative reviews on the Tripadvisor website, but everything turned out great! First, we took Arnold Transit to the island; this turned out to be the closest ferry to the hotel (only a 5 minute walk). Considering it was a Saturday in June, of course our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 10am, so we just spent the next few hours walking the 5 mile loop past Arch Rock and to the intersection of Bluff Trail and Murray Trail. Even in peak tourist season, we didn't see a soul all along Bluff Trail. We checked in our one bag before we got on the ferry, so we never had to worry about it. We finally got back to the hotel around 5pm when we were told that they had upgraded us to a suite. What a pleasant surprise! It was a handicapped suite, but we had a bedroom, large bathroom, and a separate living room opening up to the first floor balcony. My only slight complaint was that there was no TV in our bedroom (the TV was in the living room). We never had any problems with the hotel staff - if you greet someone else with a smile, they will of course treat you kindly in return.

Date of stay: June 2011
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My husband and I stayed in the smaller portion of the Harborview next door. It’s blue with white trim.

I booked us through Yahoo Travel, which worked out fine. But, I was not aware of certain selections I should have made clear prior to arriving on the island.

First, the larger inn (pictured on the Travel Advisor page above) did NOT have operating a/c. At the last minute (while checking in) I asked about a/c and was told it was not working. I do not know if it normally works or not. Fortunately I was able to request a room with a/c and got it, even though it was the busy summer travel season on the island. But, the only unit with a/c was the smaller building next door. Thank goodness for the a/c because it is super hot and humid in July on the island. The air was thick and muggy. A/C was a necessity for me!

Secondly, the smaller portion of the Harborview does NOT have elevators. This was not mentioned until I was schlepping up the stairs! Our room was on the 3rd floor. (Note my previous mention of the hot and humid weather!) Also, because the Island has a LOT to see and do, we were up and down those stairs 4-6 times per day! Was a great work out, but exhausting. Also, if you haven’t heard, there are no cars on the Island. Thus, we would be out, walking in 90 degree heat/100% humidity, and have to climb the darn stairs over and over. Do yourself a favor: call ahead and request a first floor room with a/c!!

The room itself was small but very charming! One full bed, 1 recliner chair, a dresser w/ TV, and a window overlooking the street, and a small 3/4 bath. Toiletries were high quality. No ice machine in our whole building – had to go down 3 flights of stairs and then into the next building for ice. Nicest part was sleeping with the window cracked so we could hear the horse hooves clip-clopping first thing in the morning. Harborview does not have a bar or restaurant; but they do have a reasonable BBQ on the front lawn most evenings (you do have to purchase those items).

Good location: right around the corner from St Anne’s and the Butterfly House! The porters will take your bags to and from the ferries. Most tip them $5 per bag. It’s a great service, especially with the slight incline leading to the inn.

I am not going to go into touring the entire island. I’m sure you’ll read all about it on other reviews, etc. But I will state that ALL the restaurants on the island are expensive! Delicious food; but not unusual to pay $12 for a sandwich and drink. Very busy in the summer months, you’ll be walking with crowds everywhere, and will have to wait for a table at most restaurants. I recommend bringing some non-perishable snacks & drinks with you to save money.

Mackinaw is one and a million. You’ve got to see it and stay there once to get the experience! It is lovely, even with the expensive food and hoards of people. I’d stay at the Harborview again. It’s one of the more reasonably priced inns; and the staff was generally kind and accommodating.

Room tip: Ask about elevators and a/c before you arrive!
Date of stay: July 2010
4  Thank Stargazer78
Reviewed 22 February 2011

this hotel was wonderful! i visited with my mother father and grandmother. this was an amazing stay at mackinac. we stayed for an extra night we had such a great time! the location is far away from town so it took us awhile to get to the attractions. everyone was very polite. overall amazing stay

Date of stay: July 2010
1  Thank alisonme23
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We had a great time. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. The view from our balcony was spectacular. Our room was a little noisy because it was directly over the office. Overall, a great experience. The staff went over and above by gathering up belongings we accidentally left behind and mailing them back to us. We will go back again.

Date of stay: October 2010
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I had the misfortune of staying at the Harbor View Inn... Arrived on Mackinac Island on a rainy afternoon. There were no porters to be seen at the Shepler's Ferry Dock, so I shlepped my own baggage the 12 blocks to the Harbor View Inn. I was met at the desk by a snooty clerk, who told me he had no record of my reservation. When I produced the Expedia booked confirmation, he picked up the "lost" reservation slip from his desk and with a derisive sniff, gave me my keys and told me where my room was. Aparently wet guests are not welcome at the Harbor View. The manager was sitting at her desk with the door open, watching the whole scene. She never moved or said one word. There was not one word of welcome. In fact I was made to feel that I had inconvenienced the staff by daring to arrive at their hotel. The service went downhill from there. The room was small, nicely decorated, but a bit musty.. No air conitioning, or any amenities other than a television set. Coffee and stale cereal was available in the mornings in a breakfast room, but if the caraffe ran out of coffee, the guests were just out of luck. There was a vending machine for soft drinks on the second floor, which remained out of sodas for two days. The hotel is inconveniently located blocks from any shopping or public restaurants, but the horrible attitude of the management and staff are what mad the experience simply miserable. I attended college on Mackinac Island in the 1960's, and was there for a reunion. My husband and I fequently come to the island for vacation, and we know that the level of service at the other hotels. namely the Iriquois, the Lake View and the Windemere is excellent... spacious, well appointed clean rooms, lovely and very attentive staff. So the experience at the Harbor View was a very nasty surprise. The only reason I booked a room at the Harbor View Inn is that the good hotels were all full. I know now why there were vacancies there. I know also that had this been my first experience of Mackinac hospitality, I would have left the island never to return,. The City Fathers should really have a word or two with the owners, lest the whole community loose out on trade in the future because of the incompetent and arrogant staff. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, and will in the future, wait until there is a vacancy at one of the good hotels before booking another trip to the Island.

Date of stay: September 2010