This was our first time staying overnight on the actual island (although I have been to Mackinac Island nearly every year since I was born). There was an AMAZING deal for this hotel and we jumped at the chance to stay for 2 nights. We were already going to be in the Upper Penninsula and decided to change our plans. We are so glad we did. We were traveling with our 4 and 5 year old daughters so we were nervous about a B&B type feel with kids, but it is a family friendly place and everything was great!
There are several buildings on the property and we were in The Guest House on the top floor with a "peekaboo" view of the harbor (4th floor with an elevator and EXCELLENT air conditioning in room 3404). I was fine with the view of St. Anne's steeple, a partial roof and partial bay view. The room is like a hotel as another reviewer stated, but decorated like a B&B. The building location was quiet and although the place was full, we did not hear other guests.
The room was very, very spacious with 2 queen beds and a sitting area with a table. There was also plenty of room to store large pieces of luggage and it did not clutter the room or get in the way. The room was not a suite, but like a deluxe hotel room. I will say that more pillows would be nice (only 2 per bed) and the bed was NOT very comfortable. The room looks like it was recently remodeled with new carpet, wallpaper, repainted furniture, and plenty of wall outlets. The room smelled pleasant and did not feel stuffy. The temps were in the 90's and we were nice and cold in our room!
The hotel staff was friendly. The breakfast was AMAZING for a free breakfast. They had fresh fruit, cereal choices, breads, bagels, and other pastries plus yogurt, granola, traditional "real" oatmeal (cooked in a giant crockpot), hard-boiled eggs, a varietly of juices, coffees, tea and milk. It was a lovely set up. We were thankful to have such a wide selection especially with the kids in tow. Breakfast was served from 7:30-9:30 and we were there each morning at about 9:20. There was plently of food left and some people stayed and ate until about 10:00.
The property is picturesque. There is no hotel restaurant or pool, but we were fine with that. It is far enough out of town to be peaceful, but close enough to walk everywhere. It is about 2 blocks down from the Fort on Main Street and a block from the Yacht Club. I gave it a 4 because of the hard beds and lack of extra pillows - However, I never asked for more pillows and maybe they would have brought some if I had asked. Consequently, I did ask for more towels and they kindly brought enough for a family of 10!
Oh, they have porters that take your luggage from the dock to the hotel and the hotel to the dock. It was nice to have our luggage already at the hotel by the time we walked there (we checked in early around 12:30 because our room was already ready and that was nice). We did take a horse taxi on our way out and felt is was reasonable for the 4 of us plus our luggage for around $10-$12 dollars total. If you are on the fence about this place I would say to just do it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located a short walk from the best attractions on Mackinac Island, yet away from the bustling traffic of downtown. Our relaxing hotel complex offers a variety of rooms in four different buildings and complimentary breakfast. All rooms are non-smoking. Out of respect for all our guests, we ask that you leave your pets at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Harbour View Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour View Hotel Mackinac Island
- Harbor View Hotel
- Harbor View Mackinac Island