“GREAT place to hold your wedding and reception!”
Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My soon to be husband and I were looking for a destination wedding and thought about Florida - BUT since we live in a Michigan, I thought the best place to go would be Mackinaw Island - unique, beautiful, and a destination wedding that wasn't 20 hours away. So after researching several places on the island, we picked the Harbour View Inn. They have the ability to have a wedding outside as well as inside - it rained so we had our wedding with 60 guests in the living room. beautiful fireplace, maroon walls (unexpectedly matched the wedding party's dresses!) it was beautiful! They had the dinning room and patio set for the reception and we had enough room for everyone. The food was great with some wiggle room for the menu - everyone enjoyed it. We brought our own wedding cake but they graciously cut it up and served it w/o a hassle. The staff was amazing, the manager was so helpful. It was a great experience!

Room Tip: reserve early for a great room during the busy season
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank KLM1965

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent 5 nights here as a Road Scholar participant and absolutely LOVED it! I shared a Garden suite which was very comfortable. It had a lovely sitting area and nice balcony with chairs overlooking the beautiful garden. The beds were very comfortable and the housekeeping staff were wonderful, not to mention very good at their jobs. The room was spotless everyday. As for the staff that I know by name; Michelle, at the front desk, was always smiling and so very helpful with every question thrown her way. Spencer, who waited on our group everyday, was fabulous! He even went so far as to make me a special pot of strong coffee which I greatly appreciated. (Hotel coffee just doesn't quite cut it for me no matter where I am!) Now for Mike, the chef... He bent over backwards to accommodate my vegetarian diet. I was the only one in a group of 38 and he checked with me daily to see if I would like what he had in mind. He grilled asparagus, zucchini, eggplant and golden tomatoes one evening that were out of this world! When I picked up some kind of a stomach bug, he heated up broth and served it to me personally. I have never been pampered at a hotel the way I was here at the Harbour View Inn. I would not stay anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank selahkd
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was our first time at the Harbour View Inn, and we would gladly return. We were very impressed with Steve, Austin, and their sturdy bikes! It was truly amazing to see how many pieces of luggage they could haul to and from the ferry. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, especially the poppyseed cake. The gardens were just being planted while we were there, but we could envision how lovely they would become as the weather warms up. Everyone was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank BAJ34241
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I spent a week here as a Road Scholar participant as did another reviewer I'm not acquainted with. Our room was great! It had three beds, two bathrooms, two tvs and a small sitting area. It had a nice view of the water, was spotlessly clean and was freshened up each day. It was fun to have the windows open and hear the clip clop of horses hoofs on the road outside.

The food was varied and fantastic! The dining room was lovely and it helped to have the space heaters outdoors on the patio for the overflow crowd at meals.

You can rent bicycles there, though I preferred to go to a nearby place so I could also get a helmet.

The only horrible thing was that the people at the front desk did not plan well to have our suitcases taken to the ferry terminal. On the last morning, we were told to just leave our bags in our rooms and a bicycle porter would take them to the ferry waiting area. There were something like thirty people in our group, going to the different ferry terminals. We walked there and arrived 30-40 minutes early. Nervously waiting and waiting for our bags to arrive, an exhausted, young bicycle messenger finally arrived minutes before departure with about 6-8 suitcases or carry-on bags stacked and bunjee-corded all over the bike. I don't know how he survived without tipping over. Why the Inn didn't hire one of the many horse-drawn wagons on the island, I don't know. Make sure you find out the luggage plan as you're leaving and that the staff know the count and size of all the bags. If they had had it all brought down to the living room they would have seen what the challenge was. We could have pulled some of our own wheeled luggage if we had known what a disaster this was going to be.

In spite of this, we had a wonderful time on the island!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the few rooms with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank traavelers2c
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have stayed at the Harbour View Inn with friends every summer for almost 20 years. The suites are wonderful, perfect for 4. Breakfast is good with a nice variety of items. Last years update of rooms was amazing. The staff is always helpful and very friendly. I can't imagine a better place to stay on the island and we have stayed at several others. We sometimes split our stay with half at the Harbour View Inn and half at the Grand and except for the food it's a toss up on which one is the best.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nancy R
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We purchased a groupon for the harbour view at a reduced rate of $94. Quite a deal for Mackinac Island! The Inn had recently purchased the property next door & called it their B & B. We were lucky enough to be placed in one of these newly renovated rooms, we enjoyed a view of the harbour and met some lovely folks from Wisconsin. The bike rentals were far more reasonable than in town. And when we returned drenched from our rainy bike ride, they were kind enough to dry our clothes for us. We would certainly recommend the harbour view, with or without the discount!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen T
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Room in guest house very clean but dated. Good news is they started to renovate our floor on our last night stay, leaving us as the only guests on the floor. Staff apologetic but must say it was very quiet. Location to downtown is a short walk, no real need for horse taxi. Breakfast included hot oatmeal, pastries, basic. Staff friendly and seemed to handle surprising number of unexpected guests due to great weather. View from our room very nice, noted beautiful sunrise over harbour. Room size perfect for our needs. Could update tv to modern flat screen. Would like to return when Reno completed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple