“Harbour View Inn is a B&B”
Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Dallas, Texas
“Harbour View Inn is a B&B”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Spent one night - June 16, 2014 - at the Harbour View Inn with another senior couple. BEWARE: 1) They immediately charge your credit card at the time of booking and 2) there are two buildings not just the original shown in online photos. Both have many stairs inside and no ADA accommodations to reach the rooms which are all above the 1st floor. Both buildings have MANY steps to reach the front entrance with only the original bldg having a highly sloped outdoor ramp with no stairs. The 2nd bldg requires climbing stairs to access the outdoor ramp. Both buildings are old homes converted into B&B with no soundproofing between rooms which are VERY small. We had a difficult time finding a space for our 2nd SMALL suitcase. Also no A/C although a box fan was in the closet. We were there in mid June and our room was VERY warm. I felt sorry for those on the two floors above us. Breakfast was very standard - nothing special. Luggage transport to and from the ferry was outstanding. Our 1st visit to the Island, and we had no idea how far the walk was to the Inn. One in our party of 4 had knee issues, and we ended up paying for carriage rides (not an inexpensive option for 4 people) to save walking so much. I'd recommend researching the location of accommodation prior to booking on the Island. Two of us are very fit walkers and still found the inside stairs daunting! We never saw a pool if there was one. Front desk did recommend an outstanding restaurant for dinner, Yankee Rebel Tavern, which I will review on it's own. The dinner was the highlight of our trip and made up for the inconveniences of the Harbour View Inn.

Room Tip: Check the distance of accommodation from the ferry and be sure luggage transfer is included.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 2SeniorTexTravellers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a bus trip deal through my job. I went on Trip Advisor to review the hotel before booking the trip. this is an average hotel. no thrills, no frills. The room was average. I liked the cotttage styled feel of the room. However what I did not like was the TUBE TELEVISION (I didn't know they still existed). I know I am on vacation, but every now and again I would like to spend some downtime in the room and stream Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, or Hulu via Chromecast, Roku, Laptop, etc. Tube TV= unacceptable. There were also limited channels available, maybe 15 channels max (not that I could see what was on because the picture was so bad). Also, there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. I travel alot and I am used to staying in Marriott and Hilton chains. I have become used to having certain things as standard. I never got a good night's rest. the bed was too soft, the pillows were too soft (I stacked up 4 of them and they all went flat). Additionally, there were holes in the sheets, and a stain on the white bedspread. I was on the 1st floor of the guest house and I could hear the people above me walking and running around. I don't like the communal patio where people continued to walk past my patio door giving me very little privacy if I wanted to get some fresh air into the room. The "free" breakfast was nothing more than a ton of carbs. muffins, cakes, breads, bagels, cereal (and milk that was in a drink dispenser- I guess I don't get a choice of what kind of milk I want with my cereal). there was yogurt, extremely hard boiled eggs, and flavorless canteloupe and watermelon slices. I basically saved my appetite for lunch. If I go back to the island I will stay at a resort that will accomodate me preparing my own meals. There was a very nice grocery store just on the edge of the downtown area that will allow me to do just that. The overall campus of the Harbor View Inn was very nice, beautiful actually. I liked relaxing on the front porch of the Big House, and the customer service was wonderful. The location was just right. It was just a short walk from the Arnold Ferry dock to the hotel and from the hotel to the Carriage Ride Tour pickup. I like that we are one the edge of the residential community, which cut down on allot of tourist traffic. I also like that the hotel offered carrier service for our luggage to and from the Ferry dock.

Room Tip: choose a room on an upper level if you are staying in the guest house. also, bring a laptop so that...
3 Thank meaninc
cincinnati
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked this property online w/ hotels.com. Price was $179 + various taxes. For Mac. Isl. this is a good price during high season. We walked directly to the hotel from the ferry landing. Took 5 mins or less. It's out of the fray of downtown which I appreciated. Check in was easy. We were in the guest house and I asked for an upgrade to the main house and we were given a great first floor queen bed w/ a walk out verandah overlooking the harbor, gardens, and street. It was a wonderful view. The rm itself was newly redecorated in muted golds/creams, w/ french furniture style and a marble bath. Very nice, clean, and comfortable. We truly loved every minute of this hotel/inn. The free morning breakfast was low key and served in one of the dining rms and also on a porch area outside. The food offered was mostly various breads, juices, and hard boiled eggs. No hot foods. I will say all the breads, and sweets were high quality. I would stay here again for the view, service, location. It was very nice - at least in our case! Lucked out on several aspects; pd. a low price, got an upgrade, had a newly done rm., etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view in one of the newly redecorated rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maryCincinnati
fort wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here two years ago and had a room in the main building. Room was outstanding. This time the kids were with us so we needed a room with 2 queen beds, so we were able to get a room with a view of the lake in one of the other buildings. Room was large and comfortable. Everything was very clean. Two of our pillows were pretty soft, but the staff quickly brought us two firmer pillows.

Staff was excellent. Room was excellent. Continental breakfast was excellent.

The Inn is a short walk from downtown - far enough away from the hustle and bustle during the day, but not too far of a walk at the end of the day. Grounds were very well maintained.

One of our favorites on the Island.

3 Thank FrequentFlier608
Buda, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed this experience. The facility was away from the downtown area, but within walking distance. The room was nice and the beds were comfortable. This is the first time we had been to Mackinac Island and we enjoyed all the sights. They also pick up and return your luggage to the ferry for you. Everyone was pleasant. The food was good, but somewhat like a continental breakfast. There were some hot items there and I usually had oatmeal. We would definitely stay here again. They also helped us with a situation where we had left two checkbooks and a set of keys when we left. They packaged them up and mailed them to us. We were there in early May and would like to go back at a later time of year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HIngram746
Papillion, Nebraska
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Close to everything and the staff was really helpful. We stayed in a ground level suite that was perfect for our needs. The breakfast staff was on top of everything and got our day off to a good start.

Michigan
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My soon to be husband and I were looking for a destination wedding and thought about Florida - BUT since we live in a Michigan, I thought the best place to go would be Mackinaw Island - unique, beautiful, and a destination wedding that wasn't 20 hours away. So after researching several places on the island, we picked the Harbour View Inn. They have the ability to have a wedding outside as well as inside - it rained so we had our wedding with 60 guests in the living room. beautiful fireplace, maroon walls (unexpectedly matched the wedding party's dresses!) it was beautiful! They had the dinning room and patio set for the reception and we had enough room for everyone. The food was great with some wiggle room for the menu - everyone enjoyed it. We brought our own wedding cake but they graciously cut it up and served it w/o a hassle. The staff was amazing, the manager was so helpful. It was a great experience!

Room Tip: reserve early for a great room during the busy season
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family