“Great place to stay and one of the cheapest on the island”
Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Bray
“Great place to stay and one of the cheapest on the island”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Great hotel - I stayed in the B&B next door. Really good value, considering the island is soooo expensive. Great big bed, lovely bathroom with a side view out on to the Marina - so that you can hear the ferries coming in and out.

I sadly had to do a morning's work in the very nice lounge. Free wireless access - what more could a business traveller want?

The reason I felt compelled to write a review... I misplaced my Skype headset either in the room or the lounge. I mentioned it when I checked out. I've been home two weeks now and the headset arrived this morning - most unexpectedly. WHAT GREAT SERVICE!!

Thank you - a great stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Trenton MI
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I would not have a wedding reception here. The reception is held in the hotel breakfast room. Of course they charge you to dress it up a bit. The bar rate was over the top and we had to provide the liquor. The salad was served with out the dressing, I guess they forgot it.. The portions are very small my entree consisted of a 3 oz piece of cold salmon and two thin slices of zucchini. Very over priced they nickel and dime you to death. We had to provide our own music, no DJ allowed here. Any dancing is done on a brick patio. Stay off the island for your wedding.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Oshkosh, WI
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Harbor View on two occasions. The first time was a bit last minute and we had a room in the B&B property next door. Room was small but cozy, no AC in the summer (80+ degrees) but, generally not too hot at night on Mackinac with a breeze. Staff helped me arrange flowers for a celebration which was great. Also helped arrange a carriage ride which was entertaining and informative, our guide was excellent. B&B is a bit old and creaky but was nice nonetheless. Beware, there was 1 room that had a bathroom across the hallway, I believe.

Second time we stayed in the building behind the main property and had a garden view. We did have a corner room that provided little garden view, but was acceptable since it was very spacious & had a nice balcony area. We had a scare with the luggage from the ferry but it turned out to be a miscommunication between employees. Kudos to the employee who went back searching for our luggage and asking around to other bellboys, unfortunately they had it in their lobby the whole time!

Liked the location just outside of crowded main street, & Continental breakfast was good. It is a nice property with large front lawn area and lounge chairs, etc in the garden area. Found it to be much more relaxing than downtown. Mackinac had a surprisingly active nightlife, saw some good live music. I would recommend bringing your own bikes if possible and checking out some of the lesser used trails in the park areas. Yankee Rebel Tavern had great food and relaxed atmosphere. 1850's room (not sure on name) at the Island House had an excellent prime rib when we went the first trip, good also the second trip.
Service on the island was just average both times around, lots of seasonal and foreign employees. Some was excellent and other times nonexistant, but no different than most tourist areas.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Redman27
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Staying at the Harbor View Inn was like a dream come true. We felt so comfortable and at peace here, we never wanted to leave. The Inn is not far from town, and they have a luggage porter who will bring your bags from the ferry to the inn. The location is very convenient as it is located close to Fort Mackinac, the butterfly house, and Ste. Anne's Church.

Our room was clean, comfortable, beautifully decorated, quite spacious, and most importantly - quiet! Despite having an old world decor and feel, the amenities are very modern. By just walking down the hall, we could sit out on the porch with a beautiful view of the Straits and the Round Island Lighthouse.

The staff was courteous and helpful. They held our luggage for us after we had checked out with no problem, and the porter took it to the ferry for us. Breakfast was good - a selection of fruits, cereals, coffee cake, various sweet breads, yogurt, english muffins, etc.

We brought our own bikes, but I noticed the Inn rents out bikes for pretty reasonable prices, which you may find useful if you did not bring your own.

We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to the Island.

• Liked — View, Location, Comfort
  • Disliked — That we had to leave :(
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer K
near Detroit
Reviewed 16 October 2008

We stayed here for two nights with our 8 year old and had a great time. We booked a suite with 2 queen beds and a separate living area. The rooms were large and nicely decorated. There was a nice semi-private balcony off the living area that overlooked a well manicured courtyard. The hotel is quiet, clean and well located. The decor is a bit dated, but my own experience is that the vast majority of hotels on the Island (including the Grand Hotel) also suffer from this. The BEST part of the experience, in my opinion, was the helpful staff. I left something of value in my room and, after driving many hours to get home, called the hotel to ask them to look for it. Not only did they find it (miraculous in itself), but they unhesitatingly offered to take it to the UPS store and overnight it to me. They did this with good cheer and a helpful, honest approach. They genuinely seem interested in making sure you come back-- a rarity these days. So while there may be more striking hotels on the Island, the Harbour View Inn stands out in its welcoming feel, warm staff, clean rooms, and value. Breakfasts, though simple continental style, are delicious, well stocked, and ample. Would highly recommend, especially for couples seeking a quiet value, or families with well behaved children seeking the same.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank IslandGirl98
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Harbour View is really close to Bay View, Inn on Mackinaw, Bogan's, within maybe 200 feet of the Island House, and there are at least a couple of others within a couple minutes walk. It was about a five minute stroll past Island House and the Fort to the main part of town from Harbour View Inn.

Our stay at Harbour View Inn was super nice and relaxing. We were in a garden view 1st floor room in the Guest House, which is one of three buildings associated with the Harbour View Inn. It was an awesome location, beautiful garden just out the patio doors. The Harbour View Bed & Breakfast is located next door to the Inn in another building which didn't look quite as nice. The Guest House is the furthest from the road and away from the harbour. The garden was beautiful, and it was nice and quiet sitting out on the porch watching the evening go by.

The staff was also very nice and accomodating. When we booked our ferry ride over from the mainland on Shepler's (all the ferry companies are around $25 per person round trip - we found a $3 discount coupon but there was an additional $3 fuel surcharge tacked on anyway - they also nickel and dime you for parking), they asked what hotel we were going to. When we got to the island there was someone from Harbour View who met us and took our luggage to the hotel. When leaving they took the luggage to the dock. Super-efficient service. I'm not sure that all the hotels do this.

The only complaint I have was the bikes available for rent from the Inn were not maintained in very good condition. They are cheap bikes and appear to get a lot of use. And they're expensive to rent - bring your own if you can (you'll have to pay the ferry company to bring it over).

Given the time of year it was about $130/night, we stayed for 2 nights, and I think it was well worth it. The island is awesome and very quiet with no cars zipping to and fro.

• Liked — Nice garden, clean and quiet stay
  • Disliked — Quality of rental bikes
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank akaurora
Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I booked the Harbor View based upon other reviews on here. Overall, it was a decent hotel, but not worth the price, especially not with the issues that occurred during our stay.

None of the issues were a big deal. By themselves, they all were just minor inconveniences. But, added up, they resulted in us having a "just ok" experience with this property.

Anyway, the negatives:

First off, the hotel provides for luggage transfer from the ferry dock to the hotel. However, it took about 45 minutes after we arrived at the hotel (after walking from the dock), for our luggage to arrive. No big deal, but I wanted to change my clothing and get going on exploring the island, so it was a mild inconvenience.

Then, the internet service went down later that night and was down until the next evening. Internet access is a major issue for me in choosing a hotel, so this was annoying.

The drain in our bathroom tub was apparently clogged and was slow in draining, so the tub often filled up with water when we were showering, which was unpleasant.

The vending machine in our building was completely out of bottled water.

The hot tub was broken and not funtioning (and was filled with nasty-looking water).

When I politely brought these issues (all of which were admittedly small) up to the hotel desk, they were nice enough and apologized, but offered no fixes nor offered any gestures to make up for these issues. I understand that hotels have problems that are unavoidable and unforeseeable. But, the mark of a good hotel is that it will take steps to make it right, rather than just saying "whoops, sorry."

For example, during another part of our trip, when we stayed at a different hotel, that hotel put us in a room that was marked as smoke-free but clearly smelled of smoke. When I informed the front desk at that hotel, they could not switch our room, so they gave my whole family free breakfast. That was a wonderful gesture, and was not anything I expected nor asked for. That is the mark of a good hotel.

With a room rate between $200 and $300 per night, I would expect more from the hotel. In this case, I did not receive that. Thus, I would not likely stay here again.

A couple of other points worth mentioning: When I went to rent tandem bikes from the hotel, they only had two and one was broken (even though it was outside in the rack with the others). The guy in charge did a great job of coming up with a solution, but it did take about 15-20 minutes to get it resolved. I cannot complain because the hotel employee handled it well. But, it was just another "fly in the ointment" so to speak.

Further, the breakfast buffet is pretty sparse. A few cereals, oatmeal, fruit, and assorted pastries and breads. No meats, eggs, waffles, etc. You can get more from a Fairfield Inn or La Quinta breakfast.

Having said all that, the hotel is pretty and is clean. So, if none of my concerns relate to issues that matter to you, then this hotel would be a reasonable choice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — amenities and service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank crbguy