“B & B Great Stay”
Review of Harbour View Inn

Harbour View Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My wife and I have stayed the last two years (after Labor Day) and had a great stay at the Bed & Breakfast next door to the main Inn. We had a room in front with a (somewhat obstructed) view of the lake and downtown...beautiful. See photos from the stairs/mini deck in front which is accessible from the outside. The rooms have been recently renovated and very nicely decorated with a brand new bathroom top to bottom. It did not feel like a hotel room, had multiple windows and lots of natural light. Great mattress too.

The location is close enough to town to take a 10 min walk into town for dinner & shopping but away from the noise of Downtown. Just enough Ferry horn noise to be quaint. They will put bike rental on your room bill which I found a big convenience. We'll be back!

To enjoy Mackinac Island, you must get away from downtown during the day. Walk the unpaved "Tranquil Bluff Trail" on the east side of the island and you will get some unbelievable views of the Straits and Lake Huron.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 July 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a two-night stay at the Harbor View Inn. We weren't sure what to expect, as the hotel's rates are less than some of the others on the island. The Inn exceeded our expectations. We had a "harborview" room with a king bed and a private balcony. (Please note that not all harborview rooms their own balconies.) The room was spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated in a Victorian theme. The balcony was huge and had a wonderful view of the water. The towels were super white and fluffy. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

If there were downsides to our stay, it would be these: The inn still uses old-fashioned keys rather than programmable cards. Breakfast was very basic: cereal, toast, muffins and fruit. My husband and I aren't big breakfast people and even we would have liked more.

The location was terrific. The inn is located a short walk from the busy downtown area. It is close enough to be easily accessible, but far enough away to have a quiet, residential feel.

We loved our stay at the Harbor View Inn!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed in the carriage house and I thought it was very nice. We had a nice size room and it was clean. The only thing that disappointed me was that we paid for a garden/courtyard room but we had a very small window behind the chair so it wasn't worth it to have a "view." The location was nice. Only a couple of blocks to the docks and the downtown area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Great hotel - I stayed in the B&B next door. Really good value, considering the island is soooo expensive. Great big bed, lovely bathroom with a side view out on to the Marina - so that you can hear the ferries coming in and out.

I sadly had to do a morning's work in the very nice lounge. Free wireless access - what more could a business traveller want?

The reason I felt compelled to write a review... I misplaced my Skype headset either in the room or the lounge. I mentioned it when I checked out. I've been home two weeks now and the headset arrived this morning - most unexpectedly. WHAT GREAT SERVICE!!

Thank you - a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I would not have a wedding reception here. The reception is held in the hotel breakfast room. Of course they charge you to dress it up a bit. The bar rate was over the top and we had to provide the liquor. The salad was served with out the dressing, I guess they forgot it.. The portions are very small my entree consisted of a 3 oz piece of cold salmon and two thin slices of zucchini. Very over priced they nickel and dime you to death. We had to provide our own music, no DJ allowed here. Any dancing is done on a brick patio. Stay off the island for your wedding.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Harbor View on two occasions. The first time was a bit last minute and we had a room in the B&B property next door. Room was small but cozy, no AC in the summer (80+ degrees) but, generally not too hot at night on Mackinac with a breeze. Staff helped me arrange flowers for a celebration which was great. Also helped arrange a carriage ride which was entertaining and informative, our guide was excellent. B&B is a bit old and creaky but was nice nonetheless. Beware, there was 1 room that had a bathroom across the hallway, I believe.

Second time we stayed in the building behind the main property and had a garden view. We did have a corner room that provided little garden view, but was acceptable since it was very spacious & had a nice balcony area. We had a scare with the luggage from the ferry but it turned out to be a miscommunication between employees. Kudos to the employee who went back searching for our luggage and asking around to other bellboys, unfortunately they had it in their lobby the whole time!

Liked the location just outside of crowded main street, & Continental breakfast was good. It is a nice property with large front lawn area and lounge chairs, etc in the garden area. Found it to be much more relaxing than downtown. Mackinac had a surprisingly active nightlife, saw some good live music. I would recommend bringing your own bikes if possible and checking out some of the lesser used trails in the park areas. Yankee Rebel Tavern had great food and relaxed atmosphere. 1850's room (not sure on name) at the Island House had an excellent prime rib when we went the first trip, good also the second trip.
Service on the island was just average both times around, lots of seasonal and foreign employees. Some was excellent and other times nonexistant, but no different than most tourist areas.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Redman27
Reviewed 16 October 2008

Staying at the Harbor View Inn was like a dream come true. We felt so comfortable and at peace here, we never wanted to leave. The Inn is not far from town, and they have a luggage porter who will bring your bags from the ferry to the inn. The location is very convenient as it is located close to Fort Mackinac, the butterfly house, and Ste. Anne's Church.

Our room was clean, comfortable, beautifully decorated, quite spacious, and most importantly - quiet! Despite having an old world decor and feel, the amenities are very modern. By just walking down the hall, we could sit out on the porch with a beautiful view of the Straits and the Round Island Lighthouse.

The staff was courteous and helpful. They held our luggage for us after we had checked out with no problem, and the porter took it to the ferry for us. Breakfast was good - a selection of fruits, cereals, coffee cake, various sweet breads, yogurt, english muffins, etc.

We brought our own bikes, but I noticed the Inn rents out bikes for pretty reasonable prices, which you may find useful if you did not bring your own.

We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to the Island.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple