Island House Hotel
The Inn at Stonecliffe(Mackinac Island)
US$267
US$247
  • Breakfast included
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$395
US$365
US$319
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
US$238
US$219
Mission Point(Mackinac Island)
US$194
  • Pool
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa(Mackinac Island)
US$299
Official Hotel
  • Pool
US$50
US$48
Cedar Hill Lodge(Saint Ignace)(Great Value!)
US$59
Hotwire.com
1,095 results
All reviewsthe grillfront lawnoldest hotelpool housedining roombreakfast buffetrocking chairshistorical hotelgreat view of the harborindoor poolclose to downtownprime ribthird floorbike rentalsold world charmrooms are smallthe wait staff
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed two nights at the Island House Hotel the first week in June. Reservations were make months in advance. We were assigned an attic room in which we had to walk bent over to hang up our clothes and get around to the side of the bed. We feel that first reservations should be the ones with the better rooms or at least notify a person if they were going to be in the "attic" room. We have no other complaints as the location is beautiful. This was our second time to stay at the Island House Hotel and we had no complaints that time.

Room Tip: Beware of the 4th floor rooms. Also, ask for a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I will start this out by saying I have been to Mackinac many times. We take a family trip at least once a summer. We currently live outside of Chicago and it's quite a hike to get there. My experience at the Island House was horrible. I have read some of the other reviews and if you look at any of the other negative reviews, most of them have to do with interaction with the manager.

The hotel is fine. It's about par for the island. Expect to spend a lot of money for not much.

My specific problem with the Island House unfolded like this... My husband and I went for a family wedding. We arrived on the island via the Arnold Line at 12:30 in the afternoon. There were no porters from the Island House to greet us so we left our bags on the dock (common practice) and took our tags to the Island House to check in. It was too early so we gave the porter our tags and went to the Chip to drink, be happy, and wait for our friends and relatives to arrive.

When we checked in at the prescribed time, we were informed that they could only find one of our bags. The second (which contained all of our toiletries, contacts, shoes, and EVERYTHING else we needed to get ready for the wedding) was missing. I took it in stride. I asked if this happened a lot and the likely hood of it being found. All of my questions were met with disdain and downright rudeness. Like it was our fault. I asked what they were doing to find our missing luggage, and it really made them mad. I felt completely helpfulless.

Fastforward to that evening, I asked to meet with the general manager. She pretty much told me tough luck. Mind you, there is no Target, WalMart, CVS, etc on the island. No where to replace simple items like shampoo, toothbrushes, hair products, makeup, shoes, glasses, etc.

Not once did the manager (Iliana) ask if there was anything she could do to help us replace any of our missing items. She was completely indignant about the whole situation.

This could have ruined our vacation. I was able to rent shoes for my husband, I went and had my hair done at a salon, we borrowed contacts (not the correct prescription) from a cousin. This was all very costly. I didn't get to go on my leisure run around the island and we couldn't rent bikes because we didn't have the proper shoes without our bag. We rebounded (no thanks to the Island House) and really enjoyed the wedding.

Now, because we were a little pissed off about the situation we looked around at the rest of the Island House package. The continental buffet breakfast was awful. First, the staff mills around and does NOTHING. You even have to get your own drinks. The food is completely subpar and apparently the air in the dining room either didn't work or wasn't turned on.

The room we completely overpaid for was in the fourth floor, essentially the attic. Our bed didn't have a headboard because the ceiling sloped down to where our heads were. If you sat up too fast, you clunked your head. We had a window unit a/c unit that didn't work properly.

The wedding was held at Mission Point. We poo-pooed staying there because most people who are "islanders" do. I have to say, we really wish we would have stayed there instead.

The day before we checked out Iliana had the girl at the front desk deliver the message that they would no longer be looking for the bag and that all communication should go through the Arnold Line from that point forward. When I asked to speak to her directly, she made me wait for 10 minutes (while I'm sure she was doing nothing useful.) I contacted the Arnold Line and Iliana was caught in a lie because she told the Arnold Line that a porter was waiting for us when we got off the 12:30 boat and we only had one bag. The porter didn't even come on duty until 1pm! She also said we only gave him one tag and that we probably left the bag in our car. Really?

I asked if there was anyone above her to speak with and she said the only person above her was the owner and he didn't want to talk to me. We were also told that if our visit to the island was so disappointing maybe we shouldn't come back.

In the end, I found the bag. When we returned home, I emailed every hotel manager on the Island. The manager that found it was so helpful and nice. She said the bag was picked up accidentally and returned to the Island House. I was surprised since I still had not heard from Iliana. I waited one more day and called her. She said I was the next call on her list (caught in a second lie???) She UPS'd it to me.

The really sad thing about this story is that there are a few people we ran into at the Island House that were friendly. The housekeeping manager was very helpful and our housekeeper was very nice.

We will NEVER return to the Island House and I would suggest that if you are looking for nice accommodations there are many other places on the island that would be better. I would suggest trying the Chippewa, Mission Point, or the Lilac Tree. We have stayed all three places. The people are much nicer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Make sure you aren't on the fourth level. The elevator stops on the third level.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
22  Thank Jessica L
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

In response to the issue with our guest’s missing luggage during her stay, it was brought to management attention immediately upon discovery of the wayward article during check-in. As per standard protocol our staff performed a sweep of each dock, all Island hotels and each room inside the Island House Hotel. When the article still had not appeared after completion of this checklist, which is quite unusual, the process was repeated. However, if the item has been claimed by another hotel and mis-delivered to a guest at that establishment, there is little we can do but wait for all parties involved to notice the error.

I met with the guest at approximately 4:00pm on the date of their arrival, 25 May 2012, and this process was explained in detail. This was again explained to the guest, in detail, when I met with her at approximately 11:30pm later that night. It should be noted the guest was extremely loud at this time. In this situation I could do little more than listen and re-state that we were doing everything that we were able to do. I also explained we had kept a staff member on solely to travel to each hotel continuously.

In the end, we received a phone call from the ferry line, stating the bag was waiting on the dock. The articles location for the duration of the guest’s stay is still unknown to me. I sent a dock porter to retrieve the bag, contacted the guest and sent the bag via UPS Ground to their home address.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed two nights in a "deluxe view" king bed room. The room was located on the third floor in the center section of the hotel and had a great view of the harbor. This hotel is located just a short walk from the downtown area and the fort. Very convenient, but quieter than staying downtown. The food in the 1852 Grill was very good.

Room Tip: Deluxe view room is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We loved our stay at the Island House. We stayed 4 nights and had a room with the harbor view. Once we figured out the air conditioner it was very comfortable. Though it was in the 50's every night so it was lovely to have the windows open. The staff was very helpful and nice. I LOVE the way they get your luggage to and from the ferry esp since we brought our own bikes. We had ourselves on a waiting list for an extra night and they could accommodate us when we arrived. It was great being down the street from town and there was always plenty of chairs to get comfy in the afternoon shade. I fell asleep many times on the great cushion chairs on the grass. The fire places outside at night are a nice touch. Breakfast has a huge choice and is delicious with warm items, cold items and tons of fruits (my favorite!) And they have an excellent granola that I would love the recipe for. Make sure your get the bed and breakfast package. We will definitely use the Island House again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjminarich
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The hotel is in a great location with a view of the Lake from the front porch. They have plenty of outdoor seating and you can even make s'mores on the front lawn in the evening! The restaurant menu is excellent for both breakfast and dinner...highly recommend!

Room Tip: We had a room that had a backyard view on the second floor, but had a King size bed!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple