“Recent Business Stay”
Review of Lake View Hotel

Lake View Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just returned from a 2 day stay at this hotel for business trip. The conference was being held at the Grand Hotel (which is WAY too expensive). Short walk up the hill is palatable with the reasonable rates of this hotel. If you are looking for a cookie-cutter chain-type hotel, this is not it. The place has character! Older structure with interesting room shapes. On-site bar/restaurant, indoor pool was nice. Great location. Comfortable bed. The provided breakfast was a little disappointing. However, staff were friendly. I read the reviews prior to staying at this hotel. Do the same, check out the photos. They are a pretty accurate depiction of what you're getting. This hotel is a bit less 'frilly' than some of the others (but so is the price). I would stay there again. Good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed one night. Our first time at this hotel on the island. Our room was actually bigger than we expected. Comfortable mattress, nice flat screen tv on the wall. Breakfast was ok....nothing fancy. Very friendly helpful staff. Would stay again for sure is the price was right. Convenient downtown location also plus discounts at some area shops etc.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Lakeview Hotel on Mackinac Island on Oct 1st. On the accommodation side of things, the Lakeview did everything right. The front desk staff and porters were all excellent. The young lady at the front desk was pleasant and personable, and answered all of our questions. The rooms were nice, and the beds were comfortable. The hotel is located in a great location across from Shepler’s Ferry. A porter was waiting at the dock waiting to take our baggage to the hotel. The other nice feature about this hotel is that they have a strict quiet hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m.-7:00 a.m. Our experience at the hotel restaurant, Goodfellows was just adequate. Our waiter was not personable nor polished which took away from our overall dinner experience at this hotel. Thus, we cannot recommend this restaurant. We did stop by the hotel candy shop, Sanders on our way home, and the woman working there made for a nice experience on our way back to the main land. For overall service, price, and location to shops and attractions, we would definitely book at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doug P
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The staff are excellent, especially Byron and Erica. They make you feel as if you're visiting family. We have always received excellent customer service. If you want to feel valued, stay at Lakeview.

Collectively, this will be our eighteenth year for visiting Mackinac Island and we have stayed at another hotel and it pales in comparison to Lakeview. We will always return to Lakeview and highly recommend them to everyone.

We are very satisfied guests of Lakeview Hotel.

Doug & Janet Drake

1  Thank dougdrake
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed here with my wife for a surprise wedding anniversary. When we got to the front desk the girl at the desk was saying that I owed a balance. I prepaid and set this up several weeks ahead of our stay. After proving my purchase, she began throwing my prices and charges out right in front of my wife who had no idea of what I had setup. This was embarrassing as it held up the line. There were several people coming in off the Ferry and she is arguing with me about the bill which I proved I prepaid. I also arranged that there were special chocolates and champagne in the room. They forgot these thugs until I again brought up. They again argued with me saying how they don't do this kinda thing. Well how would I know about it I explained. Where then again they admitted they were once again wrong. I witnessed a cuss out fight among a chef and a manager and even had a problem with my omelette charge cause their computer didn't work. Somehow my fault. All said and done the last guy I talked with named John I believ took care of it all by crediting my overage balance and reassuring me that this isn't normal. All is good. Room was great and everything else was good. Would stay here again. Price, cleanliness, food and location were great! Service could use a little work. Byron. The luggage guy was great. Charming place. I feel the staff was slightly overwhelmed and maybe tired/overworked. Maybe next time a better service treatment.

Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

Second time staying here, this time with 2 other couples. Everyone said they'd go back. Ask to stay far from the pool. It's loud if you want an afternoon siesta. I think the only complaint was the awful smell in the elevator both days. Like potpourri spilled or something? But location is perfect, rooms are cute and clean, staff friendly and helpful. Love Goodfellows and Sanders right downstairs too! Value would be better but we paid a lot on a busy weekend. We paid much less for our previous stay, but that's just a timing thing.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We recently stayed here with our 3 grown children (in their 20's). The room was a bit tight when we added the roll away, but it worked well. The hotel had a nice indoor pool and sauna, which was a nice break after biking the island. Great location, right in town and directly across from the boat docks. Although not a plush room, all in all it is a good place to stay for families.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family