“Would Stay Again!”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
North Dakota
“Would Stay Again!”
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We recently stayed at the Lakeview Inn. I recommend using Star Ferry as you are less than a block from the hotel. Lakeview had a staff person to meet us at the dock and helped us with our luggage to our room.

We went with the lowest price room and were pleasantly surprised. Granted we did not spend very much time in our room. Our room exited to a balcony that overlooked the pool. We did use the hot tub twice. The pool area was very clean. My only complaint is that if anyone awakes early and we like to sleep in until 9:00 or 10:00 a.m., you can hear what the person in the balcony area is saying.

We had an appetizer in the sports bar (don't waste your time) and ate at Goodfellows for dinner (was great). The continental breakfast was good.

My advice to anyone considering staying on the Island, is that the property dates back many years. It probably was plush in it's day but not necessarily in today's world.
If that is a concern to you, stay off the island. I liked not having to worry about what time the last ferry went back. One night we went to a tavern to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs and stayed to listen to a band. It was a very fun evening.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2009

My partner & I stayed here 3 nights in early May for the "early bird special rate" of $140/night. Granted, it was early in the season, so one might expect that some details might still need ironing out by the staff, however...
First evening, we went to the restaurant about 9pm (before the advertised closing time) and was told they weren't serving in the restaurant but that we could eat in the adjacent lounge. This sounded reasonable, but it turned out to be a sports bar - noisy, smoky, & crowded - so we had to go elsewhere for a meal.
First morning we went for the breakfast which was included in our package. The hotel advertising had claimed that an omelette could be added to the continental fare for an additional $5. In the breakfast area we found a hot bar with scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon & sausages, so we helped ourselves to this. Next morning, my partner, who had already put some food on a plate, asked one of the wait staff if he could order an omelette, and was loudly chastised for having taken food from the hot bar because "that is for the group." Mind you there were no signs, nor had anyone given us any direction as to what was on or off limits. The situation was handled very rudely. We went to the front desk and were told unapologetically we should have ordered from the "omelette station." The desk clerk insisted, without checking, that such a station existed, and only after asking for the manager, and walking the manager over to the breakfast room did they acknowledge that no omelette station had been set up. The manager was unaware of this, and also unaware that the restaurant crew had decided to close early the night before.
After our first day of sightseeing we returned to our cleaned room to find that the door had been left ajar. There were no cleaning carts or staff around, so we had no idea how long our room had been left open. Fortunately nothing was missing.
The second and third nights, the hotel played host to large groups of school children, ages about 10 to 15. We hadn't imagined that in choosing this caliber of hotel we might be joining a field trip for middle schoolers, but we're both scout leaders, so we're not automatically put off by groups of youngsters. The hotel had a "quiet time" policy that the groups did observe. Unfortunately the quiet time is only from 10pm until 7am, which meant that from 7am there was running and shouting echoing around the Atrium (the room has double sliding doors that open onto this space) making it impossible to continue sleeping.
On the plus side, the room itself was spacious and comfortable and clean. Wireless internet worked perfectly. The location was very convenient, and the bellman was courteous and helpful. Sadly, his attitude was the exception rather than the rule at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneytheYank
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I recently stayed for two nights at the Lake View and my family was very impressed!! Definately check out this classic when you plan your trip to the island!! The swimming pool was very nice!! Flat screens in the rooms. Yes, the ladies at the desk could have had better people skills but i am thick skinned and what do you expect from college aged kids. A definate must stay!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GoSteelersGo
Connecticut
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We stayed at the Lakeview Hotel for 6 days/5 nights. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with a vacation and renewal of vows. The staff at the Lakeview were the absolute best and most thoughtful and courteous of any of our stays those two weeks. The events co-ordinator at the hotel planned our itinerary and also arranged our ceremony on the balcony right there at the hotel. Everything was perfect! My wife and I would highly recommend the Lakeview Hotel to anyone wishing to have a really good time at a reasonable rate. The rooms were clean and well furnished. Service was superb! We are already planning our trip back to Mackinac Island in 2009, and we will be staying at the Lakeview Hotel again!

• Liked — Service by Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ConnMichTravelers
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 28 September 2008

The Lake View is a charming Victorian hotel. It is located at the far end of Main Street, (toward the Grand Hotel) and is directly across the street from Star Line Ferry and several shops. The main shops and restaurants are just down the street a few minutes walk. We had a nice room on the 3rd floor that overlooked the pool for $132/night. The complimentary continental breakfast was fine, and the evening wine and cheese reception was great - we were able to sit outside on the big front porch in rockers overlooking Main Street while we sampled the wine and cheese - a perfect way to end a day of sightseeing!

The hot tub was also a welcome relief after our long bike ride up those hills!!! Each of the four floors has a separate porch with chairs, and we watched a beautiful sunrise from the 3rd floor porch one morning. The lobby is beautiful. with lots of comfy sitting areas - a perfect place to start the day with a cup of coffee and good book if your hubby likes to sleep in like mine does. I read the other reviews, and yes, it is on the older side, and the beds may be a bit soft for some. We had an air conditioner, but didn't need it. I did not think it was noisy at all, however, and the staff was just fine! I will definitely return!

• Liked — Rocking Chairs on Front Porch, Location on Main Street, Victorian style of Hotel and rooms
  • Disliked — Pillows - too high
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We got an excellent deal on the hotel and from the moment we got there we all fell in love with it and I wished we could stay there longer. We asked and they were able to keep us in the room for the second night and the same great deal. Their website had some great deals, just have to look. Helped staying during the week also. The hotel is just what you would think it would look like being on the island. We were in a double queen room with air on the fourth floor. Our door and window overlooked the pool air and our other windows over looked the road behind us. Would of loved a view of the harbor but not sure I would want to pay more. the room was big and nice. The beds were too soft, but still fine. Most of the people that we encountered there were really nice and helpful. the pool was a bit cold and the hot tub was pretty hot, but was nice after walking and biking so much. My 7 yr old son didn't mind the cool pool at all. I don't think we will try another hotel if we ever get to stay on the island again.

• Liked — The look of the hotel and views
  • Disliked — the cold pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MichiganFam3
Holland, MI
Reviewed 23 July 2008

The Lake View Hotel was one of the biggest disappointments we’ve had in a long time. We reserved a deluxe, double queen room with air conditioning at a rate of $309 per night for one night.

Let’s start with our initial encounter with the clerk at the desk. She was not very friendly. She seemed rather abrupt and I was taken back. Usually, most of the “higher class” hotel’s I’ve stayed at, they know that first impressions make a difference. We arrived at the hotel around 1pm and the official check-in was 3pm. The clerk said that our room wasn’t ready and would probably be ready in an hour. We stowed our luggage with the bell hop and took a walk along Main Street. We came back just after 2pm and walked up to the desk. When I asked if we could check in now, the reply was, “nope, still not ready, the check in time is 3pm.” OK, yes I know the check in was 3pm, had she said this to start with, we would have gone and done something else. Not a great way to start.

It’s now 3pm and we are tired and hot and want to get to the room and change our clothes from our journey. There was a new clerk and he was nice and helpful. I asked for our luggage and he called for a bell hop. 5 minutes later, no bellhop. I told my wife and daughter to head up to the room and I’d wait for the luggage. Another 5 minutes later and I asked the clerk to take me to my luggage so that I could get to my room. He took me to a room that wasn’t locked and looked like a storeroom for odds and ends. There was my luggage, in a non-protected room by itself among the old chairs. Hmmm, not a good place for my daughter’s computer and our camera equipment!

We went down to Goodfellow’s to see how their dinning experience would be. It was your basic café type of tables and atmosphere, but with the prices of a well heeled establishment. We decided to look else ware, especially if the dinner service was managed by the same people who are responsible for the hotel. We went to the Yankee Rebel Tavern and it was appropriately priced and a great meal.

Now came the next part of our adventure, the room. First of all, the mattresses were flimsy, cheap and uncomfortable. The mattresses at the Best Western in Cheboygan ($119/night on the next leg of our journey) were far superior! Probably the worse part of the night was the air conditioner. It was one of those inside units that had a vent tube to the outside. It gave us plenty of cool air, however, due to the high humidity, the water container inside the unit had to be emptied every 3 hours or so. This meant that the air conditioner would turn off after 3 hours and I’d have to get up and empty the container in the middle of the night. Not a great night’s sleep.

So, in conclusion, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they fixed the attitude, the air conditioning, the overpriced restaurant and the cheap mattresses.

Stayed July 2008