“Clean hotel but location is busy and near tourist shops and lots of people.”
Review of Lake View Hotel

Lake View Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This hotel it is clean and the rooms are nice but the location is not what I wanted. As soon as you step off the patio there lots of tourist and shops. You can walk down to the end of the street where there is a nice park right on lake Huron.

The hotel rooms are expensive and they are strict about cancellations and discounts. I had called to get a discount that I later saw on their web site after booking my room and they did not allow it. They claimed that the web site stated for New reservations only but that was not on the web site and was added later after I called. The resturant at the hotel "Good Fellows" was ok and we only ate there once. I think there are other places on the Island that is better value for your money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 17 August 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights with 2 teenagers, on 8/11-12. Two nice queen beds with no a/c, had a window fan. The weather was perfect, fan was sufficient. Spacious & clean room. Nice clean indoor pool, a spa tub and a sauna. Continental breakfast, additional $5 for omlet/person. We also enjoyed dinner, the food was good. Location is so perfect, it is right opposite Star Line ferry terminal, so getting to the hotel from ferry with 4 bikes and 4 bagpacks was very easy, just 3-4 min walk. They have bike racks on the side of the hotel, which over flowed it's capacity, but we could manage to get spaces for our 4 bikes. This hotel is on left corner of Huron street.

1  Thank Rajeev G
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This was my family's first trip to Mackinac Island and we absolutely loved it! I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor before booking a hotel, and I am so glad we stayed at the Lake View Hotel. You cannot beat the location, right on Main Street. Our room was big enough for my family and the beds were outstanding (I am very picky about hotel beds). One of the best things about staying on the island is the evening, after all the "day tourists" have left. We loved sitting on the big porch at night, playing cards and watching the streets quiet down.
The hotel staff was extremely friendly. Continental breakfast was OK, just enough to get you going in the morning. Take your own bike if you can. It is expensive to rent bikes all day for a family.
My kids took advantage of the pool, which was great to have after a long day of biking. I would definitely stay at Lake View again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Manager24, General Manager at Lake View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2010

Thank you for your comments about your stay.I am happy to hear that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your 1st vacation on the Island. At Lake View we have watched generations of families grow up as they come back year after year.Grandkids that came here with Grandma and Grandpa now bring their own children. Reading your comments, it's easy to see why.Playing cards on the long porch, enjoying the night, riding bikes, swimming in the indoor heated pool, it definitely makes spending time with the family sound like a wonderful time.
We all appreciate each and every guest and respect their opinions. Many of the changes we have made have been to the Lake View Hotel have been suggested by our guests first.

Hope to see you and your family next year!!

Reviewed 10 August 2010

The location was great - close to shops, restaurants, and the Star Line Ferry. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool was a huge plus on our one rainy morning. The included breakfast was adequate - cereals, yogurt, bagels, pastries - and you could get a large, made-to-order omelette for only $5. We had a second floor turret room which was very clean and spacious.
The one drawback was the air conditioning. The room was outfitted with an ac unit that stood in the room (like a space heater only for cooling). It did a fine job keeping the room comfortable, but was loud and the condensation tank had to be emptied every three hours or the unit turned itself off. The nights on the island were cool so while this was an inconvenience, we would stay there again.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

The Lakeview was fine but we especially liked the location...at the W end of Main St. Pretty quiet for sleeping; across the street from Sheplers and Star ferries; easy walk to anywhere from Arch Rock, the Fort, Grand Hotel. Missed contl brkfast & did not eat in the restaurant. Atrium pool is handy for kids/rainy days. Staff was nice, but do think it's cheesy to charge $17 for a rollaway cot. Room is adequate and clean but no TajMahal for the $- just how it is on the island, but if you're going back & forth on the ferry, consider the cost. We would return to the Lakeview.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Manager24, General Manager at Lake View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

Location is obviously very important all the time but it is a must on Mackinac Island! Thank you for letting people know about some of the great places to see while on the Island and how easy it is to get where you want to go from the Lake View Hotel. We have been blessed with a very warm summer this year and as a trade off we have to endure some rainy days as well(good for the grass, not so great for the vacationer).It appears from your comments you received some of the rain, thank goodness you were able to take advantage of the indoor pool. It's always nice to have a plan B, especially when you have children. I read over your comments regarding the rollaway. I know that many times when families travel they often need an extra bed to accomodate everyone. When I reserve rooms for families that need the extra bed, I always suggest one of our turret rooms. A turret room gives you extra space to move around and some have sleeper sofas that sleep one to two people. When you call to reserve your room in the future, ask about the turret rooms, I think it might be a great fit for you and would eliminate the rollaway cost you mentioned.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

You can't beat the location of this hotel. Right across the street from the Star line ferry at the end of the main shopping district. The king room that I had was more then spacious, I have stayed in smaller for more money. The price was reasonable when you consider that you are on an island with a limited number of rooms and only have pay once for ferry service while spending multiple days on the island.. The AC was noisy but if it had not been unusually humid I would have had the AC off and just opened the window. Pool was good and I enjoyed that during the day when the streets were full (see below). The community balconies were nice places to read a book and people watch. I am already looking forward to coming back.

If you have never been to the island here are a couple of tips:
Bring warm clothes even if is the middle of summer. Mid 80's are considered hot days and the nights are chilly.
If you bring your own bike (I would recommend that) and don’t have a kick stand buy a cheep one at a bike shop. There are not a lot of bike stands so you end up parking on the street and can't lay your bike down.
Bring a rain coat/poncho. The island has a lot of horses, horses leave presents on the streets and when it rains or has rained you bike tires leave a track of water and horse right up your back if you don't have fenders.
When everyone is shopping downtown and riding around the island during the day ride on the streets and paths on the interior of the island. Then when the day visitors leave around dinner time go shopping and ride the exterior of the island.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Manager24, General Manager at Lake View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I love to hear about our guests' experiences.
Mackinac Island is definitely a unique experience.While staying with usyou can fill your days with activities, sight-seeing, and shopping or fill your day with relaxing at our pool or reading a book on one of our balconies. I really loved your tips, especially about the fenders on the bikes.I hope everyone that reads your comments and tips takes that one to heart!!!
Thanks again, hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We loved this hotel, especially the big rocking chairs on the front porch. It has a nice pool area with hot tub and sauna. It closes at 10. There is a decent continental breakfast in the connected restaurant "Goodfellows." We stayed in a room (turret, I think) with two beds and a pull-out couch. There was also a huge jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. When my kids walked into the room they yelled, "Awesome!" We had a portable air conditioner in the room. If it doesn't work, it's because you need to empty the tank in the bottom. Super easy, no problem. We just loved the atmosphere here. We actually all fell asleep on the big porch rockers!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank james67gang

We have many families that stay with us every season. The turret style rooms we have our among the top picks for families with kids and I am happy to hear that you and your kids enjoyed your stay with us.
Many guests have fallen asleep in our rocking chairs.I think the relaxing klip klop of the horses and the fresh air have something to do with it, but, I also believe that there is a certain peace of mind that people have while staying here that allows them to completely relax and enjoy the moment,
Thank you for your comments, I look forward to seeing your family during your next stay with us.