“Great hotel”
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was my second time staying on the island. Both times I have stayed at the Murray and have never been disappointed. The view is great. It is in a nice location and surprisingly you dont hear a lot from all the foot traffic. All the historic photos around the hotel are great. The staff has always been super friendly. I will definitely stay here again!

The only real complaint I have is it would be nice to have free WiFi for the price of the room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cgauss

Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the Lilac Festival. It was located in the heart of town and wonderful. A little old but most of Mackinac Island is old buildings.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelNorthernMich
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband and I, along with two other couples stay at the Murray Hotel on Mackinac Island for three nights and we were all very pleased. The location was wonderful. It was right in the middle of the downtown. Across from the hotel was a really cool bar called the Pink Pony that was really popular at night time. The live music there was great! There was also a little grocery store a couple of doors down from the Murray. That was nice because you could pick up a bottle of wine and sit on the 2nd floor patio of the hotel and have cocktails before dinner.

There are all sorts of places on the island that sell fudge and I would say that the Murray's fudge was the best. I also kept hearing people say that as they were walking by the front of the hotel.

The rooms are VERY small, but the location and friendliness of the staff far outweighed that.

I would definitely recommend the Murray and I will book it the next time I go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed at the Murray Hotel the last weekend of July. This hotel is great value for the dollar. Small rooms, but clean. AC was available (which isn't offered at a lot of hotels on the island). The buffet restaurant didn't appeal to us, but again the value of price and great location is incomparable. Would definitely book this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This was my first trip to Mackinac Island. It was one of my favorite places for sure! You board a passenger ferry leaving behind your car and all your worries. It seriously is like being transported in time. No cars, only bikes and horse carriages to wander around this small island paradise. We biked the entire thing stopping along the way to marvel at the beautiful water and scenery. The sunsets were stunning, and the architecture felt like browsing a candy shop. We did not have our kids with us, but this is a delightful place to bring the family, very safe and no worries about traffic or anything else. Other than biking there are museums, candy shops and more candy shops, hiking trails and kite flying.

Room Tip: The Murray is right at the docks! No transportation needed!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We've been to Mackinac Island a few times and this last time we stayed there with the girl scouts as part of their summer camp program. We had all meals at the hotel and they were very good...for a buffet. There was nothing fancy about it. Nothing made to order, but there was a lot of eggs, meats, cereals, drinks, etc. The staff was always on the ball and made sure to restock as needed. The rooms were certainly compact, but they were nice and clean. The beds were comfortable as well. The girls especially enjoyed the spa pool. I don't really know how so many girls got into that small pool, but they were happy and cool, so that's all that mattered. Overall, it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and the rooms were mostly the same, except the ones farthest away from the...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed here on July 3rd, 4th and 5th in 2011. We checked in and the people at the desk were nice. We were able to check in early without delay. The two Queen room was a decent size, but fairly "bare bones". Just a tiny TV with few channels, no phone, fridge, safe or iron. No big deal considering the price and thankfully it had a good air conditioner! NOT the portable kind that required you to empty buckets!

The breakfast buffet was about average. Nothing special. The Burrito place inside was quite good and would go there again. We never tried the lunch buffet.

Beds are clean and comfortable. My mom complained that the pillows were not soft enough, but I had no problems with them.

My only advice is that the next upgrade should be to some 37-40" LCD TVs in the deluxe rooms. In other hotels they came with them. It's nice being able to watch a movie late at night on a bigger screen. I know it's nice to save electricity, but TVs are cheap these days. Other hotels offered more channels as well. This is a budget hotel, so I guess this explains it.

I'd visit again, this is now perhaps our 2nd favorite hotel on the island (out of only 3 we tried). We may go here again to save a little money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family