Murray Hotel
Mission Point(Mackinac Island)
US$153
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$220
US$213
  • Breakfast included
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$187
  • Pool
Chippewa Hotel Waterfront(Mackinac Island)(Great Value!)
US$150
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Grand Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$394
Official Hotel
US$220
Travelocity
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa(Mackinac Island)
  • Spa
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
  • Breakfast included
The Inn at Stonecliffe(Mackinac Island)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfudge shopbreakfast buffetdonutsgreat locationhot tubhistoric queensun deckcookiesrooms are smallbread puddingspa poolmain streetsized roomour stay was greatquaint hotelbed was comfortableother hotels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am a member of a sailing family and every year make at least one trip to the island as my son and grandson race the "Mackinac Race". First of all, the Murray, as well as just about all of the other island hotels charge special, inflated rates for the race week=ends. The rates for the Murray are over the top. Their rooms are extremely small, (we rented three rooms for a total of 5 people). they do not have phones in the rooms, the TV's are not flat screen. I stayed for three days and for two of those house keeping did not bother to empty the ice bucket and did not replace the drink cups. After the first day, I went to the front desk to ask for drink cups and was told they would be delivered. Two hours later, still no cups, I went back downstairs and the best they could do was give me styrofoam coffee cups. The very next day, again the ice bucket was not emptied and again, no drink cups.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret P
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed at the Murray Hotel Friday July 19th. We liked it a lot. Very clean and comfy. Right in the middle of the town. The staff was friendly and they brought fresh baked cookies to your room. Yum Yum. The hotel is old, with vintage and antiques items. Complimentary coffee and tea 24 hours. The room has a blow dryer, body lotion and shampoo. I would rec. this hotel!! Price was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We made it a point to taste test all of the fudge before selecting the place we were going to buy our fudge from. Everyone has their favorite and ours is Murray's. By far the creamiest! The packaging was very elegant which was a plus as most of the fudge we purchased was for gifting!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank JCVitale
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I can't say enough about how great the staff at the Murray Hotel is. Last summer, my boyfriend and I planned to stay at my family's cottage in Petoskey for two nights and at the Murray the final night of our vacation. As soon as we got up north, I started feeling sick and after 2 ER visits, was admitted to the hospital with a kidney infection. When we found out I wouldn't be released before we had planned to go to Mackinac, we called the Murray and asked if they could move our reservation to the next night. They pleasantly agreed. The next day, we found out I still wouldn't be released in time, and my boyfriend called back to cancel our reservation. They told us to call back anytime we wanted to try the trip again and they would book the room for us. Fast forward about 3 weeks, my boyfriend found out he had a few days off of work, and we decided to do an impromptu second attempt. About four days before we planned to stay, I called the Murray again and explained what had happened. They immediately looked into their availability and called me back within an hour to say that they had booked a room for us. They were fantastic about the whole experience.

I've compared their rates to that of essentially every hotel/B&B on the island. The Murray is close to if not THE cheapest, but it isn't that far off in value. Of course, if you want a spectacular suite with an amazing view, this might not be the best place, but you're going to pay a lot more for something like that. If you're looking for a room to serve the purpose of a hotel room -- clean, comfortable bed/bathroom/place to keep your stuff, the Murray is your best bet. We stayed in the historic queen with standard view (who cares about the view-- you're just sleeping there anyway. Nothing looks like much in the dark) and it was perfect for what we needed. The rooms are small, but there is no reason two people can't fit comfortably. We're staying in the same type of room for our trip this year and probably for years to come.

Just another little touch-- last December, I also received a postcard from the Murray Hotel staff wishing me happy holidays. I just thought that was a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Pay close attention on the street if you've never been to the Murray before-- it's a little difficult to tell where it is!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at several locations when visiting the island. The Murray is small, but a great value when compared to the other hotels on the island. Service is wonderful and the rooms are clean. We will come back.

• Stayed: July 2013