“Good stay and priced right for the island”
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at the Murray for two nights in early August, and were pleased with it. We had a small room in the front that overlooked the street. That was an interesting view, as we were greeted by the sounds of horses at a pretty early hour. We thought that added to the character of the place; however, and did not mind the wake up call from the horses. I would have given this hotel a higher rating, but the sheets and pillows needed to be changed, which we didn't discover until our first night sleeping. The leftover aroma of a pretty sweaty person was still left on the sheets, the comforter, and in the pillows themselves. We pulled all the bedding off the following morning, and left a note for our housekeeper to change it all, which they did. As for the room, it was very small, but we knew that prior to arrival. It was clean (aside from the bedding), and the bathroom appeared to have been redone recently. We passed on the breakfast in the hotel and opted to try our luck at one of the restaurants on the street, but people seemed to be generally pleased with the food. We would probably stay here again if the price was still right, but would get one of the bigger rooms and check the bedding to be sure we had fresh sheets.

Room Tip: If it is in your budget, upgrade to one of the bigger rooms. The rooms that face the front are extre...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wsujohn8

Reviewed 17 August 2013

After reading some of these reviews I was very skeptical about our upcoming visit, but was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The Murray Hotel went all out to accommodate the Lamers Tour Group and we were very grateful. I've stayed in many of Europe's finest hotels which definitely deserve 5 stars, but that's not what Mackinac Island is about. To feel comfortable on a vacation, I expect the impeccabile cleanliness, top quality of matteresses, choices of pillow types, AC, tasteful interior design, friendly and accommodating staff and some surprises to make my stay memorable. Yes, the furniture is dated and for my taste there is too much material used in the decorating, primarily because it collects dust...although I had no sense of anything but clean. They've been able to embrace the charm of this older hotel and yet modernize it with comfortable and clean standards. The buffet breakfast offered plenty of warm choices that I certainly wouldn't have had at home and the homemade donuts were fantastic! Half of our group stayed in another hotel and this was definitley missing. I had the plain ones so I could taste the basic recipe. I would definitley recommend the Murray Hotel if someone were to ask.

Room Tip: 3rd floor double room in the corner in the back of the hotel (338) overlooked a beautiful flowered m...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and had a great experience. The prices were better than most of the hotels and the large waterfall hot tub was a hit with the teenagers after a chilly day of biking around the island. Yes, the rooms are old and dated but it felt right as the island had that old nostalgic feel. Everything was clean and the beds were fine. The location was perfect right by everything and not noisy at night. The A/C and TV was also nice to have. The best part was the staff. They were ALL very kind, patient and accommodating dispute our somewhat difficult requests. They met our every need. If I had anything negative to say it would just be that the breakfast buffet could
Improve, but the fresh cookies at night and the hot chocolate and coffee anytime helped! We will return to Murray Hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The Murray Hotel was one of the only places allowing single night stays during the Port Huron to Mackinac race weekend when I booked about one month prior to our stay. The hotel was $254 per night after taxes for a small queen room with a full bathtub/shower in the bathroom. The hotel is kind of quaint but is looking worn. The room was just okay. It was very small with only about a foot and a half of room to walk between the end of the bed and the wall. Everything looked worn and in need of sprucing up. The bed was decent. The room did have an air conditioner which isn't always included at all of the hotels on the island. The price of the room was ridiculous given the quality of the hotel. And I'm sure the price was inflated for race weekend. I will likely look for other accommodations next time we are staying on the island. The pool is the size of a hot tub and we never ventured in since it was so crowded every time we looked outside at it. The food choices at the hotel were not tempting at all - just a small cafeteria looking restaurant and a small food stand in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BAMW
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Murray is one of the oldest hotels on Mackinac Island. The halls are narrow, some of the rooms are small and barren looking with no view except a wall or rooftop. The rates are affordable if you are just looking for a place to sleep while you enjoy the rest of what the Island has to offer. The pool is not really a pool but a small rooftop whirlpool. The fudge they sell is delicious, however.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holland49423
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed here on our honeymoon. The room was across the street from the dock, but we didn't realize that the entire downtown was only a few blocks, so this wasn't necessary.

Our room was ridiculously small... with spotty room a/c that dripped and was noisy... my husband hurt his leg on the metal heater on his side of the bed. There was barely room for our luggage.

We will definitely be back on the island, but will not be staying at the Murray again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DariJ12
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am a member of a sailing family and every year make at least one trip to the island as my son and grandson race the "Mackinac Race". First of all, the Murray, as well as just about all of the other island hotels charge special, inflated rates for the race week=ends. The rates for the Murray are over the top. Their rooms are extremely small, (we rented three rooms for a total of 5 people). they do not have phones in the rooms, the TV's are not flat screen. I stayed for three days and for two of those house keeping did not bother to empty the ice bucket and did not replace the drink cups. After the first day, I went to the front desk to ask for drink cups and was told they would be delivered. Two hours later, still no cups, I went back downstairs and the best they could do was give me styrofoam coffee cups. The very next day, again the ice bucket was not emptied and again, no drink cups.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family