“Awesome!”

Great Turtle Kayak Tours
Ranked #1 of 13 Tours in Mackinac Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak and stand up paddle board rentals based on Mackinac Island, MI. For beginners we offer basic instruction and guided tours in the calm waters of the marina, and for our more experienced paddlers, we lead tours to Arch Rock, Devil's Kitchen, Round Island, and Bois Blanc Island, on the Straits of Mackinac in Lake Huron. Our summer tours are popular, and they book up fast, so reserve on our website now to secure your time!
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was our first time kayaking. We have 3 children. 2 rode in tandem kayaks, 1 with each adult and 1 rode in a single. Next time we would only get 1 tandem & everyone else in a single. We had an amazing time. So much fun! Will was such a good sport when our daughter started a 'splash war'! I gave Value a 4 because it was an expensive adventure for a family of 5. However, we did find many things on the island rather expensive. We definitely would have gone again the next day if it was more economical. It was a little hard to find, so we definitely would recommend a larger sign with a big arrow directing you between the buildings.

2  Thank Mgobluemom

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a blast kayaking to Arch Rock with our extended family. Although the water was choppy on our trip, it was fun to see the island from the water. Add this to your check list of things to do on the island!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Perfect place to kayak if you are a beginner like me. Very calm, relaxing and fun morning. My husband and I had a tendem kayak and another family in the group with their child and the dad in one and the mom in another. Dominic was a great guide with a long family history on the island. It was interesting to learn that the hotel we were staying in had neen owned by his family at one time. Do not skip doing this on Mackinac. Also very easy to book online and just walk over to the waterfront.

1  Thank Tina T
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Excellent experience for this novice with a seasoned, gracious and attentive guide. 2 hours went by like nothing. Super fun.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I can not capture in words in this brief space the magical experience I had kayaking with the wonderful people at Great Turtle Kayak. It was exhilarating and serenely peaceful at the same time. Meditative yet carefree -- TRULY living in the moment at one with nature on the perfectly cool ever changing water and breeze that just breathes life into you. You HAVE to experience it!

It was my first time kayaking and it could not have been at a more beautiful place with better people. It all starts with the owner and guide Paul and his unique vision and experience that he shares with everyone of his customers and with his carefully selected team of guides that are like family. My first excursion was the gorgeous Sunset tour with Kwame. If you don't have a good time with Kwame, then you must be incapable of having a good time ;) Kwame is one of those special people that just exudes joy that is contagious as is his peaceful calm spirit. I arrived solo but became part of a group of 7 people of varying ages, experience, and personalities, with Kwame as our solid leader, effortlessly guiding each of us with great professionalism and skill and knowledge, but at the same time giving us a sense of freedom and adventure. I wouldn't have thought it possible I would feel that comfortable that quickly, never having been in a kayak, and on that amazing awe inspiring lake! To feel that indescribable freedom, yet comfortable security of being with a professional who maintained an amazing eye for detail of safety so we could just have fun!

So much fun that I did a second kayak trip in my (too brief) 3 days at Mackinac Island. I felt like an experienced kayaker by my 2nd time and had a great journey out to Arch Rock with young Dominic, who is an awesome guide, as well as one of the nicest people you will meet. Extremely helpful. He has wisdom beyond his years from a long family heritage on the island and from his tutelage from his mentor Paul, who also has long family history on Mackinac Island. Dominic and I had a perfect outing and he was genuinely attentive that I was getting everything I wanted out of the experience as was Paul, who came out to chat upon our return. Top notch experience in every aspect! Invaluable experience! I will definitely be back. Counting the days....

2  Thank Matt P