“Best Birthday Ever!”

Great Turtle Kayak Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak and stand up paddle board rentals based on Mackinac Island, MI. For beginners we offer basic instruction and guided tours in the calm waters of the marina, and for our more experienced paddlers, we lead tours to Arch Rock, Devil's Kitchen, Round Island, and Bois Blanc Island, on the Straits of Mackinac in Lake Huron. Our summer tours are popular, and they book up fast, so reserve on our website now to secure your time!
Lafayette, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best Birthday Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My daughter and I went kayaking at night through a mangrove last year on my 50th birthday in bio luminescent bay in Puerto Rico. We loved it so much we planned this year's trip around kayaking again. She found Great Turtle Kayak online and it sounded like a wonderful way to celebrate turning 51, So we planned our trip to Mackinac Island, Michigan.

When I called, Paul insisted the sunrise tour was the best. I consulted my 21 year old daughter about waking up at 4:15. She agreed after looking at the pictures and knowing how much I love sunrises! Our guide met us at 5 a.m. at the waterfront, just a few minutes walk from our hotel. He was funny and extremely competent. He made sure we were perfectly fitted into our kayaks. I've had multiple back surgeries and cancers and was used to lots of pain other times I went kayaking and white water rafting. This time I had no pain after 3 hours on the water! Amazing! These folks are professionals!

We were out on the water and experienced God's glory in the most amazing sunrise! It was stunning!!!! Our guide took pictures of us with his i-phone and was so nice to make sure we had great shots! After the sunrise, he offered us options of going to Arch Rock or a rare opportunity to kayak to Round Lighthouse. We chose the lighthouse and were so blessed we did!

My daughter and I enjoyed my best birthday ever blessed with a witty and kind kayak guide. At one point he asked if we'd be okay so he could go help a straggler with the other group. We were impressed how he handled the situation - assured we were okay and then helped another person. Both groups sang Happy Birthday to me at Round Island! We learned so much about the area and had a great adventure!

Thank you Great Turtle Kayak for making my 51st birthday the best birthday yet!

4 Thank Bibliophile51

Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

When my husband, daughter & myself arrived for our 2 hour trip to Arch Rock we were greeted by Kwame. He is a very friendly fellow who helped get us ready for our kayaking experience. A great guy who was very helpful. Dominic, a young man who lives on the island, was our tour guide. He is a great source of information not only about the island but about the best places to eat & the best items on the menus. Our day was picture perfect and the water was very smooth. A relaxing way to spend the afternoon and the opportunity to see the Island from a different vantage point. This is an experience not to be missed.

Ashland, Oregon
“Relaxation and Beauty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I went on the sunrise tour, which starts at a daunting 5:15 a.m., but is SO worth it! I was surprised how many others joined this tour, ten of us total. No experience with Kayaks? No worries! The guide was great. The views beautiful. The best way to see Mackinac Island!! Next time I'll try the paddle board.

Indianapolis, Indiana
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Experince Kayaking near Mackinac Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a wonderful time taking a kayak tour. It was a bit of a rough start, because they didn't have paddles at the first Great Turtle Kayak location. So, they sent us to the 2nd location. It worked out better because our tour guide was Ben, who was very knowledgeable about everything. He took pictures of us and sent them to us. We had a wonderful time using 2 single and 1 tandem kayaks.

Visited July 2014
Canton, Connecticut
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 254 helpful votes
“Fantastic way to see a Mackinac sunset”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

A big thank you to our kayak guide, Ben. He was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and patient. This was my first time kayaking and he did a great job of guiding me. We did a 2 hour sunset kayak and Ben gave us a lot of history on the island. It is such a great way to see the island from a different perspective. Don't be afraid if you are a beginner it's an easy trip.

1 Thank Santucci1