The Inn at Stonecliffe
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$187
  • Pool
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$365
Mission Point(Mackinac Island)
US$247
Murray Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$266
US$243
  • Restaurant
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa(Mackinac Island)
US$299
Hotwire.com
Hotel Iroquois(Mackinac Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssummer housemackinac bridgemanor housebeautiful mansionstone cliffsunset rockmain mansionback porchwoods restaurantcarriage rideoff the beaten pathhorse drawn taxidowntown areaaway from the hustle and bustlerented bikesour honeymoongrand hotel
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I recently spent 3 nights at the inn for a girls trip get together .. it was the perfect setting to relax and enjoy the company... we had 3 very nice rooms in the "summer house". each room had 2 queen size beds , a kitchenette and sitting area as well as a balcony overlooking the Straits of Machinac . a buffet breakfast was included each morning with table access on the patio and the dining room. we chose the patio each morning due to the view over the large expanse of lawn overlooking the Machinaw bridge...
we had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant on the first evening .. the staff is very friendly and attentiive... we also enjoyed being able to rent bikes at the hotel for the day... the only negative would be that the carriages do not alway come and go when you wish to. the cost to get in to town is $6.75 each way . there were times when we waited 20 minutes or more for the carriage. it is a 30 minute ride in to town.. although we loved the horse drawn carriage the logistics were not convenient.
I would, however, say that we were very pleased with out stay.. the Inn is very charming and we enjoyed the off the beaten path peaceful atmostphere... I would highly recommend a stay at the "Stonecliffe".

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We are a family of 4 who spent a night there very recently. We based our booking on the favorable reports in Tripadvisor, but found the premises to be somewhat lacking. We were lodged not in the main Inn but in the adjacent "Summer Cottages". Our expectations were that in this serene setting, far from the more touristy areas, we would commune with nature. Unfortunately for us, a wedding party was held on premise that evening and the band played until 11 pm. Thereafter, some of the apparent wedding guests decided to continue the party in their room. When the front desk was repeatedly called to address the very loud talking (which continued unabated until 2 am), no one answered the Inn's front desk. There should have been some form of security on duty.
As far as the accommodations in the "Summer Cottages", I would compare it to a clean modern Holiday Inn Express, with no "historic charm" or "light Victorian influences" mentioned in the Inn's website. The room was priced and characterized as "richly appointed", but only tiny bars of low end soap and a single miniscule vial of shampoo was provided. At the price they were charging, we expected more.
The buffet breakfast was good and the view from the rear of the Inn are exceptional.
Another consideration for the prospective traveler was the very sporadic taxi connections to the Inn. Because the Inn is located in a remote area, there seems to be a paucity of regular service to the location. Miss your shuttle and you are out of luck.

The most positive aspect of our stay was dining at the adjacent restaurant, The Woods.
Wonderful old world hunting lodge ambience and great food and service. And duckpin bowling to boot!
Bottom line: Because the Inn seeks weddings, I would imagine that others have experienced the lack of serenity. It might be worthwhile to ascertain whether the Inn is hosting a wedding during your stay. Personally, I prefer to lodge at some of the picturesque hotels closer to the ferry ports.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank MizzouStLouis_MO
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The property sits back into the interior of the island, about 2-3 miles from the tourist area. It has big beautiful grounds with some hiking trails in the back. We had a corner room suite with a king bed and two walls of windows overlooking the water and the bridge. Beautiful room called the Cudahy room. Sitting on this hotel's beautiful veranda one wouldn't know they were on a tourist island. Serene and beautiful.

The staff were the best. They came out onto the veranda to see if we wanted anything, which we did eat a meal out there one night. Or, just get something to drink. Breakfast was really good with all the normal stuff and a hot dish. We can't say enough about the staff there and how helpful they were. Such a beautiful old manor house.

The only thing is that if you come and bring your own bikes, they have no way to transport your bikes back to the manor house. You can either leave them in the town or do what we did and ride them back there. The shuttle will take your luggage for you but not your bikes. Another thing is to not bring your bikes but rent them at the manor house, which they have for the guests there. My husband and I might just do that next time we go.

My husband and I would love to make this a yearly trip. Going right after Labor Day was the best. Also, check out the Candlelight room, also a beautiful suite with 2 Queen beds.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DawnE
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My family and I all enjoyed a weekend wedding celebration for my niece at Stonecliffe. The mansion and grounds are so stunningingly gorgeous that I felt like a spoiled tycoon and my Summer Home in the early 1900s. What an absolute joy everything was, the views of Mackinac bridge are breathtaking from the back lawn, everything was spotless, professionally staffed. It was a weekend I will never forget!

Room Tip: If you prefer the true B&B setting, stay in the Manor House. The Lakeside suites are very nice however; just not the old world feel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My husband and I spent our fifth anniversary at the Inn at Stonecliffe. What a beautiful place! We will never forget the amazing views from the back porch. The staff was wonderful, and they made us feel right at home. Everyone we encountered at the Inn was very friendly and accommodating. We had dinner in the chophouse, which was also amazing. I highly recommend the Lobster Artichoke Dip! The whitefish and filet were delicious, too! Make sure you ask about Sunset Rock, it is definitely worth it.

If you are looking to just get away and relax, then you definitely should consider the Inn at Stonecliffe. We will most definitely back, and we hope to make this a semi-annual trip!

Room Tip: The views from the mansion rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple