“Excellent Stay”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We just returned from a night at the Inn at Stonecliff. We had a very positive experience at the hotel. About a week before our stay, they emailed a confirmation that included a very detailed .pdf file with great, helpful information about the hotel and island. This hotel is about 2 miles away from the main street, but our family loved being away from all the hustle and bustle downtown. I had a very intense cold and truly welcomed the quiet of the inn. The check in staff was very accommodating. The room was beautiful (We stayed in the Summerhouse on the 3rd floor).The bed was very comfortable! We ate at the restaurant and the food was delicious!!! I recommend the 5 course meal as it not only seemed the most cost effective way to go, but it was a good amount of food. The pool was very clean and warm...a perfect place to spend the late afternoon with kids. We are already talking about ways to save money so we can return to the Inn at Stonecliffe and stay additional days.

Our only complaints, are that we did try to call them the day before and the day of our reservation to inquire about making reservations at the restaurant,, and after leaving two messages, I never did get a response back...when we finally arrived after a very long ordeal of trying to get to the hotel, we were told they did not know of our messages and that the earliest reservation would be at 8:30. However, they were very kind to call up to our room about 20 minutes after we checked in to let us know an earlier time had opened up.
Our other main challenge was that we had reserved the horse/buggy/ferry deal (which was a great value!!!). However, when we saw the 5pm shuttle in front of Starline, he told us he was full and the next one would not arrive till 6pm. He did tell us to walk down the street (about 4 blocks) and wait at that ferry stop because when the shuttle did come around, it would stop there first and we'd have more of a chance of having space. This would not have been a big deal, except that I was extremely sick and that extra walk and wait during the busy time downtown was not very welcomed.
The shuttle service is ran through the islands taxi service I believe. I do have to say they (meaning all the shuttle/taxi drivers on the island) lack customer service!!! Not only was there the mix up at the docks, but the friendliness of almost all of the drivers we saw needed some improvement. We thought it might just be an isolated experience but after talking to a few people, we realized that the service is lacking. Even a friendly smile from the drivers would make the first impression of the island so much better. I know it might not be the most glamorous job for them, but they are for many visitors, the first point of contact on the island . (On a side note - Our one shuttle driver (on the way to the hotel) did engage in more conversation as we got closer to the hotel, and shared information about the horses with us which did excite the kids).

Those issues aside, the hotel WAS FABULOUS as was the hotel staff . If you are looking for a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds that is away from the busy activity downtown -we highly recommend the Inn at Stonecliffe!

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet during our stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I took my wife here for our anniversary in July after reading all the reviews and am glad I did. I called them several times to book and confirm and they were patient with me all the way thru. We got there and I had booked a woods view room because they had all the other rooms booked. I get there and get my keys and they upgraded my room for free and without me even knowing it to the beat room in the mansion (woodcastle). I would come back here in a heartbeat - views look just like Ireland

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Words can't describe the good times we had at this location, with the staff being so completely helpful and the grounds being so meticulously kept, it simply just made for a great Summer vacation! Can't wait to return next year!!

Room Tip: I must say I am in awe at the helpfulness of the staff and the beauty of this estate. I have been to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I visited Michigan and my friend who lives there, recommended we visit Mackinac Island. I didn’t know much about it, but it was spectacular. We stayed at the Stonecliffe, and not knowing anything about the area, didn’t realize how far the Inn was. We rented bikes and rode the 2 miles to the hotel (part was a steep road by the Grand Hotel). It was a nice ride and very relaxing and nice to get away from all the tourists. This place is a classic! We were lucky and were able to get a room in the mansion with the perfect view of the Mackinac bridge. It was pretty secluded and quiet. I also recommend a visit to the restaurant next door called the Woods. It’s pricey, but stop and get a drink and bowl in the 1905 bowling lane. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, the best part.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was my first trip to Mackinac and I couldn't have asked for a spectacular place to stay.
From the view from the patio to the grounds of the hotel I was constantly amazed at the beauty.
Stonecliffe is a peaceful and relaxing getaway from the hustle and bustle of daily life. I highly recommend to stay here if you get the chance.
SusanR of plymouth

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

For those not wanting the formality of the Grand Hotel, but still expect the feel of traveling back in time....The Summer House at the Inn at Stonecliffe is wonderful. The suites are spacious and air-conditioned. There is an elevator for those who need it. The main house is a very short walk for breakfast or to catch the taxi to town.
Bikes are available in all styles and sizes. There are bike racks outside each building. The walk to town is approximately 40 minutes, I was told.
But, expect to spend 30 minutes by taxi to get to downtown. Horse-drawn taxis full of luggage and people, can be quite tired. I enjoyed the scenery on the ride, but it also comes with a fee each way. Just know that ahead of time, and you can make the most of your day. You can inquire about a ferry and taxi discount from the hotel. Returning to Summer House in the evening was just what we wanted. It was relaxing and quiet, with beautiful lawns and a view of the Mackinaw Bridge.
The dining room is small and quaint, so we made a reservation for dinner in advance. Also, meals can be ordered from the bar and carried back to the room. Very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: The Summer House is a short distance from the Main House. It's a large suite with balcony, AC a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

If you have a chance to visit Macinac Island, make sure to stay at least one night. The main street changes from hustle-bustle to serene-relaxed after 6:00 pm or so when the day trippers head back to the mainland on the ferries. One of the best places to stay on the island is The Inn at Stonecliffe, just a few minutes (by bike or horse taxi) from the Grand Hotel (an expensive, but landmark resort).

Personally, I find the Grand Hotel too large and pretentious and the price is very high. A room at the Inn at Stonecliffe can be had from the low $200's in the main mansion, which is where I would prefer to say anyway. The main mansion was built in 1904 as a family summer home and is situated on the west bluff of the island, which offers excellent views of the Mackinaw Bridge. There are 16 bed and breakfast style guest rooms (with no air conditioning) in the mansion, while the more modern Summer House Suites has 31 suites.

Our room was bright and airy with a very large window overlooking the expansive grounds. Although it was not water-view, we were thrilled with the view every time a horse-drawn taxi arrived at the front of the mansion. The weather was perfect during our visit, so the absence of air conditioning in our room was not an issue. It was a short bike ride back down the hill to the main street, although it is a bit of a climb (on bike or foot) back up the hill. Horse-drawn taxis are only $6.75 per person, and offer a historic and scenic tour to town. Definitely a must-do on the island.

The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and contributed to a wonderful stay. Overall, I'd rate The Inn at Stonecliffe very highly in location, price, history and overall experience.

Room Tip: If you want to soak up the history, opt for a Mansion room rather than a room in the newer Summer Ho...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple