“Poor customer service and amenities”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Clarkston, Michigan
“Poor customer service and amenities”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel based on a friend's recommendation. My husband booked the "jacuzzi suite" with an inland view which on the website sounded nice - courtyard setting and lawn view between the summer house and the mansion. We also thought the jacuzzi would be great after biking 51 miles. The "inland view" was of the garbage dumpster (and whatever was behind the fence) and the front entry with all the carriage traffic. The website is really misleading. On top of this disappointment, we had no hot water. When we reported it, we were told it would come soon... many excuses. In fact we never had hot water that night or the next morning. So much for the nice jacuzzi room - we could have booked a bridge view room for the same cost and had a much better room. When we checked in and saw our room I went to the front desk to ask if there were any other rooms available. The person at the front desk was so rude - he said "we can't control the view ". Really? And no hot water was met with "we are trying and its because too many people checked in at once". Really??? This hotel is very expensive and this is no excuse at all. It would have been nice if someone would have offered a discount on our room due to the water situation - we booked a jacuzzi we couldn't even use. The comments below about the breakfast is true also - basically what you would get at the Super 8. Overall, a very disappointing stay - my first time to stay over on the island and I will never ever stay here or recommend to anyone. We have visited the Island many times in the past and will come again but not to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Alison W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I just completed my third stay at the Inn and I am in love. I wish I could move in. Things that are important to me are ascetics inside and out and the Inn has that in spades. I have staid in both the mansion (twice last year) and the Summer house. It is important that you realize when making a reservation these are two very different experiences. The Sumerhouse was perfect when I came up for a longer stay because there was a little kitchen in my room (I am not sure if they all have this) with a small fridge and a microwave. This came in handy because there are not a lot of food options in the area of the island that Stonecliff is. I also liked that there was a place to do my laundry and I was right by the pool. I ate almost every meal out on my porch enjoying the amazing weather and scenery. My room was clean and well decorated in a bright palette. That is the summerhouse.
The mansion is completely different, I came up with a date and there is no question it does not get more romantic. We spent quality time at the bar and got to know the bartender Johnathon, and ate two of our three meals in the dining room. Both meals were exquisite and the whole time you are overlooking the Mackinac Bridge. After dinner we took a bottle of wine out onto the back terrace, went for long walks, one place near to walk is Sunset Rock which is amazing. Again, it was amazingly romantic.
The staff has become like family after my third stay. From my first visit where I must have called them a million times asking about carriage rides to the mansion, ferry rides they have treated me like a guest in their home. When I walk in after a day of biking Daniel always greets me and asks me all about my day. I have always wanted a place that I considered my go to spot and now I have.

Room Tip: Make sure to review the differences between the mansion and the Summerhouse, if you are looking for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EMurray70
Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you are looking for a quiet get a way this is your place! The place is gorgeous and the views are breathtaking! This would be the perfect place for a wedding!
The staff was very friendly and any request was handled immediately. The manager took time out of her busy schedule to tell us about the history of the Inn and the Island itself. She told us her favorite places on the island to visit, even drew us up a little map.
My morning runs were tranquil and serene as the grounds were just beautiful.
The food was very good, I could go on and on, this is definitely a place we will come back to for years to come.
Thank you Miss Congdon and staff for a wonderful vacation!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a stay at The Inn at Stonecliffe on Mackinac Island for the Zoo-de-Mackinaw Bike Ride. We booked a king bed room and got a double queen (and they blamed it on Hotels.com for making a mistake-yet we had confirmation on the reservation). There was no hot water (which we got several excuses for). Mgmt said it would be "fixed" while we were at dinner. On return, still no hot water and another excuse to why. No one here tried to "fix" the issue (no plumber available). Only excuses. And then they told us "no one had hot water". This is inexcusable (considering the price of the room and their lack of customer service). I would never recommend this place to anyone! And, just to talk to them, we had to go down 3 flights and back up since their phones didn't work. Terrible overall experience!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ddrw
jetsetter911, General Manager at The Inn at Stonecliffe, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for letting us know that you were dissatisfied with your stay. Without guests providing us with sound feedback, we would never be able to improve. We did have an unfortunate issue with our hot water heater, which turns out to have been a blown fuse on one of our units. The plumbers were unable to get to us that evening to diagnose the problem, and I am sorry that it had such an effect on your stay. With 30 rooms checking in at the same time, all wanting hot showers, the one tank we had left was working overtime. I can only imagine how good a warm shower would have felt after such a long bike ride. As you know, we did end up giving you a complimentary stay because of your dissatisfaction.

Thank you for your patience as we complete the renovation of our beautiful mansion. Our front desk is usually inside the front doors of the mansion, and because of the upgrade and restoration to the building, we had to set it up for the first two weeks of operation in the area where you met us. The temporary front desk is unable to receive calls when you dial 0, however we did provide each guest the main phone number to reach us along with your key packet. We do hope that this does not taint your image of Stonecliffe, as it has a long history of providing guests with superior service, and we hope that you come back and give us a try sometime in the future.
Ohio
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We have stayed on the island a few times and decided to stay at the Inn at Stonecliffe based on the recommendation of a close friend who stays there often. While we will stay on the island again, we will not go back to Stonecliffe.

The grounds and view were gorgeous but the room and service were very disappointing. The bed sheets were thin and dirty and the blanket was torn. The mattress pad and pillows were also dirty and stained, as were the floor, walls and ceiling. The bathroom was no better. The tub was cracked (the kids didn't want to get in), the towels were dirty and there were hairs throughout. The room also had loud creaky floors and super thin walls.

Breakfast seating overlooked the gorgeous grounds and beautiful view of the Mackinac Bridge. The food was a half step above typical Hampton Inn fare with marginally better eggs and fewer pastry options that were served on fancy plates. However, one of the plates we picked up to use for the buffet stuck to the one underneath it because it was covered in what appeared to be some sort of caked spinach and cheese mixture (apparently from dinner at the restaurant the night before). That was unappetizing, but given our room condition I cannot say I was surprised.

Although it was cooler than usual during our stay, our kids were able to use the pool and had a lovely time. The pool area was clean and a welcome break from our room. The patio off the room had a nice table and 4 chairs. It was a short walk through a wooded area to a gorgeous bluff with a view of the mainland and the entire Mackinac Bridge. We were able to watch the sun set with the kids but, wonderful though it was, we could have done that from any other western-facing point on the island.

While walking toward the desk to (thankfully) check out, the front desk phone rang. At the conclusion of the brief call, the clerk let out a not-subtle sigh of frustration and looked at me blankly until I said I was ready to check out, at which point she took the keys and robotically (yet with an air of finality) said thank you. Not a single question about the stay, no smile, just total indifference.

As noted above, the place came recommended by a friend. And many others staying there while we were there appeared to love it. Perhaps we fared much worse because we had one of their cheapest rooms, the inland suite (room 2103 - 1st floor). However, even with a AAA discount the room (after taxes) was north of $325/night. At this price, even with the beautiful grounds and view, we expect more than a beat-up college dorm room or youth hostel with dirty, torn bedding, dirty towels, and stained floors, walls and fixtures. We would not stay again.

Room Tip: Unless it's been substantially reworked since our stay, we'd stay the heck away from 2103 (i...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Baker1997
Michigan
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My husband and I stayed in the summer house which was just lovely. The room was spacious and included a comfortable living room area, café table & kitchenette - and a generous covered patio area with table & chairs. Everything was immaculately clean and fresh.
The dining room of the main house has a great view of the Mackinaw Bridge and comfortable outdoor porch. Stonebridge is located in a quiet area away from the hustle & bustle of the shops and main street. It's a great place to stay if you want to savor the relaxing ambiance of the island. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MinnieMuffin
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed the end of September for a wedding and had the most amazing experience! The staff is so accommodating and so very nice... we stayed in the summer house portion of the hotel, which was beautiful! Large room and short walk to the perfectly prepared breakfast at the Mansion in the morning. We have stayed other places on the island, and after experiencing the Inn at Stonecliffe, we've found our favorite! I highly recommend you stay here and enjoy the beautiful view and large lawn for kids to play and adults to relax!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family