“Service was amazing!”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Canton, Ohio
“Service was amazing!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

June 16 - 20, I stayed in the summer house with my four grandchildren. It was comfortable for us and they layout was great! It was cool for the most part while we were there and the pool was very cold although I was told that it was 80 degrees, it was not. I have a pool and keep it at that temperature so the kids knew that it was not as warm as the pool at home. I would agree with one of the other comments on this page that a book explaining how the shuttle and taxis operated, and the hotel bike rental information (there were no children's bikes and the cost) would have been very helpful as well as a menu from the 'Woods'. The property was beautiful and very well maintained, the kids enjoyed it and also hiking to the 'sunset rock. The service was OUTSTANDING!!! Hugh, the morning host was very friendly, informative, and treated us as if we where his only customers. The other wait staff was equally attentive but we had breakfast every morning with Hugh - I thank him for making the morning meal so enjoyable. Trey was our porter when we checked in and I can't say enough about him and the friendly over the top service he provided; he got ice for the ice bucket and also my cooler, he brought much needed extra towels, and even searched for and found my granddaughter's lost gym shoes!!! He too made our trip very, very pleasant. The desk staff, Rae and Cody and I am sorry I can't remember the names of the others who were also helpful in getting taxis and shuttles arranged for us as well as finding the days weather forecast, etc. I have traveled extensively and will say that I have never had service a good as this. We found great service throughout the island what a pleasure (with the exception of our waiter at the Grand Hotel)! We had dinner at the Inn one night and it was very good, we also enjoyed the Pink Pony, Goodfellows, Mission Resort and an Italian restaurant at the east end of the downtown area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Grandma957

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in the Summer House with our 11 month daughter. First the positives... the room was a great set-up. It was perfect for traveling with a little one. I appreciated the separate sitting area and the kitchenette. Also they had a pack and play ready and waiting for us. The staff overall were super nice. I liked the location. It's a bit of a walk from the main drag, but it was nice to get away from all the hustle at the end of the day. The rooms were pretty loud and I woke up multiple times due to hallway shenanigans. The pillows were like a foot tall and not very comfortable. I don't exactly feel rested. As far as feeling confused, I wish they would put together some info and leave it in each room. I had no idea how stuff worked. The staff was great with answering questions, but it would have been nice to have it all written down like most places. The restaurant situation at the Inn was confusing. Like what's up with The Woods? We had dinner one night in the bar and two people came in and asked for burgers. We knew the menu ahead of time because we pulled it up on our phone, but it would make sense to have the menus in the rooms. Also, we were confused by the shuttle and how that worked. When we tried to ask the driver (who I don't believe works for the Inn), he was super rude. How are we supposed to just know this stuff? Overall though, a pretty good experience. With a few tweaks, it could be really fabulous!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Rachael D
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Inn is not in the busy downtown area, but is about 2 miles from the downtown. We rented bicycles (like everyone does) and that allowed quick transport to the Inn. The Inn did offer a horse drawn carriage service (horse taxi) which we did not use. But we could have and the price I believe was $7 each way per person. People with mobility issues should be fine with the horse taxi service.

Note: our luggage was checked in by the water ferry taking us to the hotel and the hotel did come and collect our bags and transport them to the hotel without charge. They also take the bags back onto the ferry without charge.

We stayed at the summer house building which is a modern style building with two queen beds and a double size sofa-sleeper. The entire building was immaculate and nicely decorated. Just what you think an Inn on Mackinac Island should be. Quiet and comfortable is a good description.

The included breakfast was a good mix of cereals, buns, fruit, and some hot food. No complaints at all and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

We looked at the menu for dinner and it looked good. But decided eat downtown both days. So I can not comment on the lunch and dinner food.

The grounds are exemplary in their maintenance and grooming. Bikes may be rented and returned at the Inn at the same cost as downtown. We rented bikes (downtown) for 24 hours upon our arrival. Remember to ask for a bike lock if you plan on keeping bike overnight. (just in case, but crime is very low)

Room Tip: Summer house rooms are larger than the main Inn.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Warren C
Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were in the Mackinac Room which must be the most beautiful room on the island. Huge windows on two walls. Excellent furnishings and a large built-in three glass mirror and chair. If there wasn't so much to do on the island we could have just stayed in the room all three nights.
Guest services were top notch and daily breakfast was very good in a room with a view of the Mackinac bridge. Be advised that the hotel which can be reached by horse drawn taxi is about 1.5 miles from the tourist attractions. We chose to walk every day for the exercise. Bikes are available at the inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spiritcove2014
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

After a long day in carriages or downtown Mackinac, escape to a destination of tranquility with views of the bridge. Comfy room was actually suite sized, clean and recently updated. Fantastic shower. Fabulous grounds. If you can climb a flight of stairs, the mansion is the way to go!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ladymacdeth
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I visited this property for the first time in July of 2013. It was my 46th birthday weekend with just the "girls" and I loved every minute of it. While getting into the downtown area may seem a distance, we all enjoyed the quiet and beautiful surroundings away from the hustle and bustle. Staff were excellent, food was excellent and we lazed poolside! A definite do again!
Lisa VA

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa V
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The location is ideal. Tranquil and beautiful. The mansion is absolutely beautiful and the renovations are fantastic. This is my favorite part of the island bar none, and to be able to end my day at this fabulous hotel is just icing on the cake.

• Stayed June 2014