“Quiet comfort off the beaten path”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you want to be in the center of the action, this is not the place. However, it was a great choice for us, as we wanted some relaxation and quiet at the end of our very busy days on the island. We brought our bikes and used them to get from downtown to the inn and back. There are some very steep hills on the way, as the "Stonecliffe" name is accurate -- the inn is at the top of a rocky cliff and getting there required some strenuous riding. A very popular restaurant, The Woods, is right next door, and the inn also has its own restaurant and bar. It has plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and a wide lawn with a view of the Mackinac Bridge.

There were several families staying at the inn, but I can't imagine that little kids could handle the ride to the hotel, so they must have been paying quite a bit for horse-drawn cabs and shuttles, which charge per rider. We chose to dine at The Woods the second night after figuring out that our cab ride to and from a cheaper restaurant canceled what we saved on the meal.

When it came to furnishings, I liked that the inn did not sacrifice comfort for historical accuracy. The furniture had a classic style, but it was new. The bedding was comfortable and similar to what you would find at other hotels. If you want quilts and antiques, this is not the place.

The breakfast buffet opened at 7:30 and had a few hot items -- scrambled eggs and sausage both days, and other items that varied -- and yogurt, pastries, fruit, juice, cereal, toast, and coffee. We liked being able to serve ourselves and enjoy our breakfast on the patio.

The thing that impressed me most was how friendly and helpful all the staff were. We were able to get help with things like ferry tickets (including assistance with lost bike tickets) and dinner reservations from the front desk. Our bags were delivered from the ferry to the hotel, and our bags were delivered about five minutes after we got into the room. Even though there was a buffet for breakfast, an attendant introduced himself to us and let us know he was available if we needed any assistance.

We would definitely stay here in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in Tudor, one of the Bridgeview King rooms on the third floor and really liked it. It was...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer S

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I wrote a review in May 2014 prior to us checking out. We had a bad experience with the facilities and personnel during our stay as I noted in my original May review. Trip Advisor would not let me make another review for 30 days. So this is an addendum to say that the Inn manager sought us out Sunday morning prior to us checking out. He was very apologetic about the issues they were experiencing at the Inn, and he offered to give us our money back for our stay plus cover our dinner there on Saturday night. We did not expect that but we appreciated it. So I wanted to give them credit for stepping up. Thank you! We will consider trying them again.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Ddrw
Reviewed 15 July 2014

For our 2014 summer vacation my husband and I chose Mackinac Island and the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. Having never been to the Island I was unsure of where to stay. My husband's brother and wife had vacationed on the Island a few years back so I asked for some recommendations. They had stayed downtown at the Island House and loved it. I tried booking there and it was full. So I did a little rearch on tripadvisor and found The Inn at Stonecliff. SOOOO glad that I did. It was charming. Just what we wanted. It is about 2 miles from downtown but we love to walk and it was a beautiful walk every day. I loved all of the wildflowers! We even found a little shortcut thru the woods. It is so peaceful and lovely here. None of the noise or chaos of downtown. We stayed in the Mansion in the Mackinac Room and it was superb! Huge room with a large windows and a spectacular view of the grounds and the bridge. No air conditioning in the Mansion but we left the windows open and the breezes cooled the room nicely. Bathroom was extremely spacious and the shower was excellent. The bed was ultra comfy....I slept like a baby. And to me the most important part of my stay at a place is the bed! I loved being able to get up in the morning and walk down the grand staircase to a delicious hot breakfast every morning. The staff goes out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. Be sure to take the walk out behind the property to Sunset Rocks. I highly recommend The Inn at Stonecliff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chefshar
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Even though this Inn was a little off the beaten path from the mainstream city life of Mackinac, it was SUCH a delight to stay at. We stayed here for our honeymoon and loved every second of it. We purchased one of the packages their website had to offer which included a dinner for two one night and breakfast each morning. The dinner we had was sensational and the breakfasts were delicious with plenty of good options to choose from. We rented bikes two of the 3 days we were there and that was so much fun!

We stayed in the Snowberry Room and while the room was very pretty, the bed was a bit outdated and could have used a new mattress. It was not the most comfortable. The bathroom was cute and clean and I enjoyed the vintage feel of it. It is also not the most quiet hotel as the doors and hallways are older and don't shut out the noise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Stefanie C, General Manager at The Inn at Stonecliffe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review of our property! We love that so many honeymooners find their way to The Inn at Stonecliffe, and find the time to enjoy their get-away and each other on such a momentous occasion. We hope that you will come back to visit us soon. I see that you last stayed with us during summer of 2013. You will be happy to hear that we opened in 2014 with a new look! All 16 rooms got a major facelift. New carpet, paint, wall coverings, furniture, and yes... that includes beds! You will absolutely love it, and we hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Inn is about 2 miles from downtown, but the short walk or bike ride is definitely worth it. The grounds are meticulously groomed and the view of Mackinac Bridge is beautiful. The rooms at the Inn are very nice and the beds are comfy. The complimentary breakfast has an abundant selection of delicious food for even the pickiest of kids. Our kids thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor pool and my husband and I enjoyed reading and relaxing while they had fun. The thing that sets the Inn apart from other hotels on the island though is the staff. The porters, front desk people and especially Daniel, the manager, were all incredibly friendly and helpful answering our many questions. We plan on making our stay at Stonecliff an annual event.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Brooke V
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Inn and loved it! We liked the ambiance and charm of both the mansion and our room! We ate dinner the first night at the Inn--the Cudahy Chophouse, and the second night at the Woods which is right on the property. Both were delicious! They are also nice because you don't have to go back into town after getting cleaned up! We highly recommend the Inn at Stonecliffe!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebbieC331
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just got home from a holiday weekend stay at the Inn. What a beautiful facility, far from the maddening crowd that is on the main streets. Bikes are available for rent. The pool is delightful. But the view is the best feature of this grand place. My only suggestion for improvement would to offer lunch service, asI did not want to leave the grounds. Staff is gracious and very accommodating . cmpd

Room Tip: Spurge and get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family