“Away from the hustle and bustle of the City!”

The Inn at Stonecliffe
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Plainwell, Michigan
“Away from the hustle and bustle of the City!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We recently spent a relaxing two days on Mackinac Island at The Inn at Stonecliffe. Although we had stayed on the island many times before, we were always right down town where all the action is. Stonecliffe offers many amenities without the hustle and bustle and yet is just a few minutes walk or carriage ride to town. The mansioin itself is beautiful and full of history. The grounds are huge (I'm talking football field large) both front and back with much room for families to play together. We stayed in the large, well-appointed, and recently remodeled Mackinac room which overlooks the back of the property and the Mackinac Bridge. The employees are friendly and helpful from the manager to the front desk help and even the bar tender. We enjoyed dinner on the patio that overlooks the bridge and had a beautiful breakfast in the morning. A big thank you to Stephanie, Hugh, and Andrew for making our stay memorable!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Mackinac Room but I understand the room on the other end of the same level is a good...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We recently stayed at Stonecliffe for my first trip to the island. We stayed in a Bridgeview Room. There was a standard sized window, which did have a very nice view of the bridge, as advertised. However, you do have to walk right up to it to see out, and the screen was detached at the bottom, so we had a few bugs. It was a warm, sunny day in August, (I think the high was 80 that day), and, although it dropped to around 60 degrees that night, our room never cooled, despite the ceiling and box fans provided. My guess is that, since this room style is on the third floor, faces west, and only has one window, this is a common problem. The room itself was nice, with good bedding and high-end furniture, but the TV was the size of a computer monitor and mounted on the wall 10' away from the bed (why bother?), and the bathroom seemed like a total afterthought - linoleum tile, dim lighting, woodwork didn't fit up well, etc. Just a slight increase in attention to detail could elevate the Inn from a nice place to stay to a place you dream about returning.

If you have never been to the island, it can be a smelly place. I grew up on a farm, so I'm no stranger to large animals. I was hoping this would be less of an issue at Stonecliffe since it was so remote, but, although the room was smell-free, we could definitely smell horse in the hallways and to the front of the building.

The location is both good and bad. It is the furthest hotel on the island from the ferries (which is right up my ally), but this means that you probably won't get to it/find it walking, at least not your first time. We used the shuttle once and a taxi once, and both were $7 one way. It is right next to The Woods restaurant, which came highly recommended by several people. Unfortunately, when I called in the afternoon (it was a Sunday and I didn't anticipate an issue with getting in anyplace), they didn't have any openings until 9:30pm. We then chose to go to the restaurant on the first floor of the hotel instead (Cudahy Chophouse). The entry was somewhat confusing, you check in with the hotel front desk. Although there were a ton of empty tables, they were somewhat put out by our not having a reservation. I'll write a separate review on the food/service. These are the only two nearby options for food, and they're not inexpensive, so if you were staying for several days, you'd need to plan to go into town quite often.

The grounds and the exterior of the Inn are absolutely the highlights. The view when you pull up is stunning, with the mansion set back into a manicured woods. The back has a long grass slope providing unobstructed views of the lake and the bridge. There are games available (hillbilly golf and badminton were the two I noticed) and the kids seemed to love it. The back patio was a beautiful place to enjoy breakfast or dinner. Breakfast is included with the room and is buffet style with eggs, sausage, French toast, oatmeal, several types of juice, coffee, etc. The selection reminded me of a Hampton or HI, only done in a real kitchen.

I did a pretty exhaustive search of accommodations on the island, and, even with all the negatives, I still feel like this was a good value for money.

1 Thank FarmerGrrl
Chicago,IL
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed just one night but couldn't have been more pleased! We actually wished we planned another night or two! It was that relaxing. The distance from Main Street was the best part, so quiet, so dark, sitting out in the lawn looking at the stars.......awesome! 15-20 min walk and you were right in the middle of town. The bed was awesome, the linens were high end. Definitely would return to the Inn!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at the Stonecliffe back in July 2014. The Mansion was beautifully redone recently - with a great view of the bridge from the dining area. I stayed in the Summer House. I loved by patio - it sat over 4 people, so great for the kids in our group. The pool was heated and was awesome!! I rented one of the bikes and had a great time getting lost on the paved and unpaved roads/trails. The park was nearby, so we brought hot dogs and used the park grill. So much fun at this place. We even had a cab driver that sang show tunes!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer S
Portage,IN
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is the 3rd time we've stayed on the island. First was Mission Point, which was nice, but just "worn out" feeling there. Last time was Island House, which was very nice, but so small.

We wanted to try another, and the Inn at Stonecliffe is IT! We stayed in the mansion part, which is a must in my book. Yes, it's 2 miles from town, but it was so nice "coming home" on our bikes to the big circle drive. So peaceful...so quiet. The views of the woods in front were nice, and the bridge view from back was amazing. Be sure you take the short walk to the trail to the overlook west of the Inn.

The room lookly freshly painted, with all new furniture and furnishings. Spotless. New, yet I loved how they kept in the time period. High ceilings, and exposed piping just added to the mystique. The bathroom was dimly lit, but it fit the theme perfectly. It also had a huge claw foot bathtub that was so cool. It doubled as a shower, however. No A/C, but 2 fans weren't needed, as it got in the low 50s at night---in August!

Breakfast and staff were great...sit outside on the porch for a great view.

We hike and bike a lot, so this location was perfect. My advice for biking around the island, or going to town....stay in the interior of the island from 11am thru 4pm to avoid the summer crowds. Nothing beats a bike ride thru the quiet town at 8am.

Want a great lunch? Bike to Doud's Grocery in town, pick up some of their excellent fried chicken, and picnic on the lawn in front of the fort, or one of the many picnic tables around the exterior of island. Cheap and yummy!

Would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had the Straits Room in the mansion. Highly recommend! It has the cheaper rate of a Forest View...
2 Thank hoosierref
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Whether it was assistance with the Ferry service, local restaurants, or directions to landmarks and sights on the Island. The staff at the Idyllic Stonecliffe Inn went above and beyond to make sure my stay was as smooth as possible. My room and the grounds were in perfect shape and a wonderful breakfast every morning got me going everyday. A big thank you to the StoneCliffe for making my trip to Mackinac Island off the charts!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank P B
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 8 August 2014

A+ ... for the accommodations, staff, food and golf. Add a bike and the perfect way point to see all the beautiful sights the Island has to offer. Could not be happier with my choice to stay at the Stonecliffe, in fact, I am already planning a second visit.

Room Tip: Did not appear that there were any bad choices.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo