“Beautiful Inn”
Review of Inn on Mackinac

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Inn on Mackinac
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This Inn is beautiful and unique. We stayed in a 2 queen Victorian bedroom. This is a great place for families. The kids enjoyed the spa pool (big whirlpool). It was the perfect distance to downtown, Fort, bicycle shops. The breakfast was similar to a hotel breakfast. I would have preferred to eat at one of the restaurants and paid after I had already tried the breakfast. The restaurants on main street are great! If you can get a special promotion on the hotel, I highly recommend it. The staff was very friendly as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The inn is located on Main Street of Mackinac Island but just outside of the downtown area which is convenient but less busy and out of the hustle and bustle. The front porch was a wonderful way to end the evening. The spa pool was perfect and breakfast hit the spot. The room was clean, decent size for the four of us and very quiet. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Christym42
Reviewed 25 August 2014

First off, the location of this Inn is excellent, & the outside is as well, beautiful building with a fantastic front porch & gorgeous flowers & a nice (but small) pool.
As far as the inside goes, the lobby is nice, the breakfast is typical; eggs, waffle, oatmeal, bagels, etc..., but the rooms, ugh! We were originally in room 403, but the bathroom was SO small (the sink is in the bedroom because it cannot fit in bathroom) & dark (a black stand up shower stall) that I knew my 6 year old son would NEVER take a shower in there, so we asked if there was any other room available, and there was for 1 of our 2 nights, room 408, which was a little nicer, the bathroom was larger, the carpet wasn't all stained & burned like room 403 & it even had a tiny balcony. Here's where I had a huge issue though, we were told that the Inn was completely booked for our second night & that we would be put back into the dingy, tiny bathroom room # 403, but that there was a woman who had a room on hold and IF she didn't show up (she had 2 credit cards declined & was trying to figure out payment) that we could then have her room, but come to find out later they were holding it (without payment) until the last ferry at 10:30 pm arrives, then they would call her & then if they didn't hear from her we could have that open room. What! Why would you have an already paid guest who is clearly very unhappy with the room they were given wait until 11pm? (& I have 2 kids with me)
I asked if they could call the lady & see if she was indeed coming but they said no, that they were waiting until the last ferry arrived, that was their policy.
Suffice it to say, we just stayed in room 403 because we would not be waking our kids up to move rooms in the middle of the night. Very disappointed, I've never heard a place keeping a room available that long for a person who hasn't even paid yet.
We did like the front porch, good people watching & the best area to get wifi, & the young man who delivers the bags to & from the ferry docks is awesome, but I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank SarahBana
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is the third time we've stayed at the Inn on Mackinac. It has been five years since our last visit. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay this time. Our room was nice and cozy. The breakfast was delicious. The staff was friendly and helpful. We love the location and the porch is a great place to relax and watch the bikes and carriages go by. We will definitely stay at the Inn on Mackinac again - hopefully sooner than five years!

1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The inn had everything we look for: comfort, good food, and great location. Friendly staff made things easier, and we would definitely go back again. There is a tasty selection at breakfast, and we enjoyed the front porch; loved watching the carriages go by.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenelle H
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is my second visit to the Inn on Mackinac. The owners have not made any substantial updates to the property since my last review, so I will focus on the areas that still need improving.

• Stained comforter and sheets on bed.
• Mold in shower/tub unit and counter-top caulking.
• Tiny 19" tube TV does not have movie channels (would be nice to have for the rainy days).
• No WiFi or ceiling fan in room 504.
• No insulation in walls... You can hear every noise in the hallway (e.g. door slams, people talking).
• Breakfast choices are very average... the highlight is the self-serve waffle maker. Need fresh fruit!
• Front desk attendants spoke negatively about phone customers while guests were present in lobby. Also, they gave me the wrong day for the governor's mansion tour. Staff needs professional training!
• Spa pool was locked up for the last part of my vacation, and the water temperature was inconsistent the first two days of my vacation (i.e. water temp good 1st day, too cool on 2nd day).

My wife and I enjoyed our time on Mackinac, and with a little bit of attention and effort toward improvements, the Inn on Mackinac could be a great B&B. I will not return until management makes the changes necessary to warrant the high room rates.

Room Tip: Top floor (5th) is good because nobody is above you, but there's no guarantee you won't hear...