“Great atmosphere not so great service”
Review of The Gate House

The Gate House
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A casual restaurant/bar just a short walk down Grand Hill. Serving lunch, dinner, and beverages inside and outside. Televisions and live music. Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan or Full American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their dinner bill. There is tipping at The Gate House. Check the Restaurant Events Calendar for live music schedule, food/drink specials and more.Hours of Operation: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.Luncheon: 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Dinner: 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their bill.There is tipping at The Gate House.
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This was our last stop on the island, we decided to grab lunch before we took the ferry back to the mainland and start our long 7 hour journey home. I've wanted to dine here the past two times we visited Makcinac and I have to say, I was disappointed.

The service was incredibly slow (even though the place was mostly empty) and our waitress was rather aloof and borderline rude. We had to track her down so we could pay our bill.

The food was barely average, we had the chicken BLT. My husband didn't feel so great on the ride home. And it took a very long time to make what seemed liked an easy dish.

Don't think we will return. There are so many choices while dining on the island, this wasn't one I'd like to repeat. Was really surprised, I would think being associated with Grand Hotel, they would have higher standards.

FFD11, Manager at The Gate House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your visit with us. I apologize that your server wasn't upbeat and enthusiastic. It is toward the end of our season and we close for the winter in less than one week. That is not any excuse for poor service or mediocre food. When it becomes slow and there are not many guests in the restaurant we find projects for the staff to do behind the scenes to make our closing smoother. This may be why your server wasn't around the entire time. Again not any kind of excuse. Our Chicken BLT is one of the biggest sellers we have. A reminder that food borne illness takes a minimum of 12 hours before settling in so whatever illness your husband may have been feeling was more than likely from breakfast. Thank You for taking the time to write a review and we do hope you give us another chance on a different visit.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stopped here for lunch after a bike ride around the island and left very impressed! Patio is awesome and so is the music. My husband and I had the corned beef brisket sandwich and one of the special sandwiches (I think called the Gatehouse) and both meals were amazing. Most tender meat we have had in a long time. Beer was good however Celebration drink was not worth the $15 it cost. Very very good meal. Highly recommend this place!!

FFD11, Manager at The Gate House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for taking time to leave a review and we hope you return soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

The staff and great patio is what makes this! I ordered the most expensive burger and was disappointed. They smothered WAY to much richness on this burger. But I will give the food another chance! My wife and I sat with a view of the Grand Hotel and had a great time! Attentive and friendly staff!

1  Thank ShoreFinder

We are sorry to hear that you didn't like our Wagyu Burger. Too much richness possibly comes from the Roquefort Cheese or Caramelized Onions. There is definitely an acquired taste in my opinion. We are happy to hear that you love the patio and that the staff treated you so well. We pride ourselves on training the staff to treat every guest with respect and to stay happy and make the guest experience fun. Thank You for taking the time to leave a review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was our last stop on a one and done bar crawl around downtown and following suit of every other bar goer we rode with that evening, I poured the remainder of my $10 beer in a tiny plastic cup for the 40 minute carriage ride home. I grabbed the to-go-food we had ordered and started to walk out the door. Some guy, without identifying himself, shoves me aside grabbing the cup and says "Gimme that!" Honestly thought he was just drunk and kidding at first.

I understand if that was not allowed, stopping me and saying, "Excuse me sir, but you have to finish that or throw it away please." would have been fine. Totally unprofessional. I'm not going to get as bent out of shape as he was for an inch of beer so I let it go and hopped in the carriage.

On the carriage ride home I had the displeasure of eating some of the worst bar nachos I have ever had. I literally threw them out after a couple bites. Stale chips and watery queso. If lousy staff, awful food, and annoying generic DJs aren't your thing, do yourself a favor and skip this place.

1  Thank DJRobNM

I am sorry to hear that you felt as if our Door Person was rude and not polite. There is no excuse for him to be rude and we do apologize. I can tell you first hand that his job isn't the easiest. Unfortunately you were definitely not the first person trying to leave with an alcoholic drink that evening. One out of every five people try leaving with a drink and that is why I have him posted there. Michigan State law prohibits anyone leaving an establishment with an open container. It is not only a ticket for the establishment but also a ticket for the individual. This law is strictly enforced on Mackinac Island. We do not have any beer in house that is $10. As for the Nachos, we sell hundreds of them a week and it is one of our staple Starters. We use homemade re-fried beans, homemade queso, homemade pico de gallo, with tri colored nacho chips. Since there are so many warm ingredients, if you let the nachos sit for any period of time before eating of course the chips will be mush. Our DJ is a wedding DJ and plays music to OUR Clientele that most frequents the establishment. Again we thank you for taking the time to write a review and hope you return again for another visit.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We were met coolly by the bar tender who explained we couldn't order dinner until 5 and handed us lunch menus. It was 445. We ordered wine and had to ask for water. When we got a waiter, he explained it was no problem to order appetizers from the dinner menu before 5. He turned things around a bit. But in general to spend that kind of money on dinner I expect more than silverware wrapped in paper napkins and rude bar tenders. The ribs were delicious, though, and came to the table quickly and hot. Maybe the Grand Hotel is spreading itself too thin and reducing its standards for service. I've been here for lunch and enjoyed myself more. I won't be back for dinner.