“Great Lunch, Nice Location”
Review of Carriage House

Carriage House
Reserve with OpenTable
Carriage House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$80
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I ate here on our recent trip to Mackinac Island. We did not stay at the attached hotel, we just came for part of the day. We picked this restaurant partly because of the location and the view. Great views of the water, light houses, seeing the ferry's coming in and out, etc.. We sat on an a partially enclosed patio area that had heaters. We didn't need those right away, but they came in handy when the sun went behind some clouds. The food was expensive, but it's kind of expected on the island. It was very good. I had a fish sandwich (not fried, and very good). We didn't have alcoholic drinks, so can't rate that. My son's meal was good, and again was a bit pricey for a kids meal ($10), but again, this is the island. The staff was friendly and answered our questions about the island. I was curious about what happens during the winter, how much of the island is still operational, how do people who live there get to the mainland, etc.. and though the waitress wasn't from the area, she knew the answers to all our questions. It was a nice lunch at a beautiful location - not far from the ferry docks - take a left when you come off the boats.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family and I visited the Carriage House restaurant on June 26, 2014. I have mixed feelings about my dinning experience at this rather pricey restaurant. Let me say up front that the food was excellent and well worth the price. My issue is that if I am willing to pay the price, I should get top notch service. The service in this restaurant was terrible, that's putting it mildly, we wondered if it was deliberate, because the service at other tables seemed better. There was also a young Hostess that leered at my wife so much that she mentioned it to me at the time. People working in the service should keep their focus on the color of money, they might improve their financial condition.

1  Thank Jerome G
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After reading so many positive reviews, I made a reservation approx. 2 months in advance to dine at the Carriage House. I requested reservations for 5 people for an early dinner at 5:30 pm: 2 adults, 2 children, and 1 child in a highchair. When we arrived, the dining room looked breath-taking and the views were beautiful indeed. We were hoping to enjoy the spectacular views outside on the main deck, however, it was a rather chilly night (low 50's) for July and we requested other seating w/ a view. The hostess informed us our table had been set up on the outdoor patio w/ heaters and we should be comfortable there. Unfortunately, it was not a comfortable, enjoyable dining experience. We were seated at the furthest table from the view at a table meant to seat only 4 people. My 1 yr. old son's highchair was squeezed in at the table such that my husband & I could barely move our arms to eat! Furthermore, the table was not large enough to accommodate all of our food plates & drinks. It was incredibly crowded, and even the server seemed to think so. Our server was helpful with answering menu questions and provided friendly, good service. The kids' meals were large portions and the kids liked them: hot dogs w/ fries & applesauce and spaghetti w/ marinara. My husband & I shared a starter salad and enjoyed our scallop & halibut entrees as well; the meals were prepared well w/ attractive presentation however they were not amazing or anything special. I was annoyed throughout most of the meal as I felt our family had been relegated to the outdoor seating due to the fact that we had small children. In fact, there was one other family with small children there at the same time who were seated in the same area as us. I think we would have received better seating & attention had my husband & I been dining alone & not with children. Seeing as this was one of our few days on Mackinac Island, and it is such a family friendly place, I was disappointed to feel as though we received secondary treatment.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stop in at the Carriage House and have a brew before visiting the Grand Hotel. Bar tender and staff are happy to chat with you and tell you what they know about the Island.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our extended family from Austin, Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; and Charleston, South Carolina love Mackinac Island when they come to visit us in Michigan; and we absolutely love drinks and appetizers at night on the veranda at the Carriage House! The service is always wonderful, and you will love the shrimp cocktail, the crab/avocado, the crackers/cheese/meat plate, the ice cream drinks, and the desserts----as the sun sets and you enjoy the beautiful view.