“Longtime Mackinac Island visitors; first-timers at Market Street Inn”
Review of Market Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Market Street Inn
Reviewed 4 June 2014

As longtime visitors to Mackinac Island, Michigan, my wife and I would classify ourselves as seasoned veterans of the entire Straits area. The location has always been our first choice for vacations.

Our vacation to the island in early August 2013 included a first-ever stay at Market Street Inn. We enjoy the B&B experience; it makes for a wonderful break away from the oft-used chain experience we've all had.

Kristen the innkeeper was a gem! The building itself was just as nice. Our room, #4 on the first floor, was both easily accessible and comfortable. Sometimes at private, family-run establishments, such as B&B's, great care is taken with the decor but can lack a good quality bed. The bed in room #4 was very comfortable -- and quiet.

We enjoyed the inn's proximity to all of downtown. We know well enough that despite Mackinac Island's ban on motor vehicles, Main Street is a major hub of activity with bicycles and pedestrian traffic, especially during the high season! While Market Street is just one block off of Main Street's activity, it is far enough away from the noise yet close enough to get into the thick of it in a very short walk.

Market Street Inn is adjacent to historic Fort Mackinac, which is the source of the cannon fire that 'Eyeisha W' spoke about in her review. Since the fort is a working re-creation of fort life on the island in the 18th century (http://www.mackinacparks.com/parks-and-attractions/fort-mackinac/), it is not overbearing by any means and is a great tribute to those who spent their time protecting the territory. The cannon fire is only at selected times during the day; an equally pleasant sound that comes from the fort at the close of the day's activity is the playing of taps.

At the time of our vacation to the island and to Market Street Inn in 2013, my wife and I immediately considered the inn for our return trip in 2014 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I am pleased to say that we are including the Market Street Inn as one of our stays in the area! The inn made that kind of an impression on my wife and me!

As a Michigan business owner and professional myself, I appreciate the hard work of fellow business owners and operators who can work at providing such a high level of excellence time and time again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We visited May 19-20th for our 25th wedding anniversary. Staying at the Market Street Inn felt like staying with family. It truly was very relaxing, and we felt so welcomed. All the other reviews talking about the food, the clean rooms, the feel of the place are spot on! Kristen is fabulous! I felt like we made a new friend. It was our first experience with a B & B, and we were a little anxious about it until we got there, met Kristin and her intern, Tammie, and both were very nice and gave us lots of ideas for things to do while on the island. We stayed in the Garden Suite with its own private entrance, and just loved it! It's small and cute and fit our needs perfectly! The breakfasts were wonderful, fresh fruit, muffins, cinnamon rolls, juice, coffee, tea. Fresh cookies were left on a plate just inside the front door of the inn every day. Our room came with complimentary passes to the Butterfly House, and the Inn also has guest passes to tour the Grand Hotel, which was a nice savings! The location was great, just steps from the main street, but without the noise. It was a bit cold and rainy while we were there, so we didn't get to enjoy the wonderful looking back garden area, but we plan to return again, so we will make sure to use it then! All in all, a wonderful stay, no complaints at all, and we highly recommend this place! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Ask for the Garden Suite, it has its own entrance and is very quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marleney
Kristen B, Manager at Market Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for noticing what we love to do! We hope you can come and visit again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at Market Street Inn on May 18-19, 2014 in Room 3. We throughly enjoyed our stay and plan to return next year. Kristen (Innkeeper) and assistants provided for our every need and then some. The room 3 was nicely decorated, clean, and super comfortable, plus it was farly large, included a king bed & two chairs & jacuzzi. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The inn is located close to downtown, is well maintained, and the parlor, porch, and large patio were also very nice. We had our breakfast on the patio one morning. We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. One example of many nice touches- it was our anniversary and Kristen had already placed a bottle of champagne in our refridgerator! The late afternoon cookies are also great!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristen B, Manager at Market Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

So very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We were so happy to have you in the Garden Courtyard for breakfast that morning, our first Garden breakfast of the year, (even though it was a bit chilly!) We look forward to hosting you again and thank you for the great picture of the Inn from up the hill. Sincerely,

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Kristen helped me plan my vacation to Mackinac in February. I originally reserved my stay at Mission Point, but had my reservation refunded after I read reviews for the resort. Kristen and Tammi gave me a tour, and a welcome cookie upon my arrival. I stayed in room 6. Cuter in person than the pictures online. Breakfast is served every morning. My stay is Monday through Thursday. Fresh fruit, warm muffins, lightly toasted bagel, and juice were my morning selections, tomorrow I'm having the cinnamon roll with additional side orders. Day one, I spilled my breakfast everywhere and locked myself out of my room. Kristen and Tammi were really sweet about it all. Market Street Inn is located a minute walk from downtown Mackinac (Main Street). Plenty of restaurants, shopping, and activities nearby. Quiet, with the exception of the occasional cannon. You won't regret your stay. I'm coming back next summer. Thanks Kristen, Tammi, and Paula.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Eyeisha W
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed only one night but would have loved to stay longer. This is exactly what you are looking for if you want a cute, clean B&B. The location is perfect, one block from the main part of town. We sat out on the front porch and drank wine and played cards, we truly felt at home here. We loved it!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn K
Kristen B, Manager at Market Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I can still see you finishing your card game on the front porch, just perfect. Thank you!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

My Daughter and I were blessed to stay at the Inn in May 2014. Kristen welcomed us so warmly, presenting our room and a overview of all the features and areas of the inn. Not only is SHE delightful, but the inn is beautiful from the parlor, to the entrance and porch, to the private garden in the back and our lovely room #4. We felt at home. Without a doubt, we would love to visit again!! Top rating! Excellent property and experience!!

Room Tip: View the rooms online.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank disney_fam_10

So glad we played a little part in making your Mother & Daughter trip nice. Hope you can come again and enjoy our wonderful island.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We went to Mackinac Island just before the "high season." It was our first visit and the weather was less than cooperative! Kristen was spectacular! She made us feel like old friends. The room was spacious, clean and the bed fantastic! We highly recommend it!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristen B, Manager at Market Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

So glad you enjoyed your stay, despite our early Spring weather. We are looking forward to hosting you two again. Have a great summer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinac Island
#3 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
#6 of 29 in Saint Ignace

Been to Market Street Inn? Share your experiences!