“History right at the tip of the mitten!”

Colonial Michilimackinac
Book In Advance
More Info
US$24.00*
and up
Mackinaw City Sunset Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: The original village of Michilimackinac was constructed by local Indians, and the French, in 1715.
Shepherd, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“History right at the tip of the mitten!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

What a great place to visit with your family! You can't get a more nostalgic place than Mackinaw and all of its surroundings. Especially the island, truly one of the only places in the world where peace and tranquility seems to be the norm instead of the regular day to day grind.

Visited May 2013

Wyoming
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very Informative”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We could have spent all day here! I was afraid the cannon demonstration would be too loud for our 11 month old but she loved it and asked them to do it again. I loved talking to the employes in costumes and found they were very informative.

Visited August 2013
Bear, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A must to see”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I love the view of the Mackinac Bridge from Fort Michilmackinac as you are walking up towards the fort. Inside its like going back in time . There are houses , a church , and many other historic sites to see. The re-enactments of the cannon and rifles are amazing. There is so much history to learn about the Fort and many artifacts that have been dug up and on display.

From the top of the fort there is an amazing view of Lake Michigan , the Mackinac Bridge and the surrounding area.

You can easily spend a few hours inside . Everyone I spoke to were very polite and knowledgeable about the history of Fort Michilmackinac. .

And on the other side of the Mackinac Bridge and within walking distance is the light house. Another great place to visit .

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Marie H
Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“I always go when I'm in Mackinaw”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I really enjoy this fort. We visit Mackinaw City nearly every summer, and visiting the fort is one of the places we always go. The re-enactments are okay, but fun. We enjoy the history and what visitors can learn about the history of northern Michigan. I have probably visited the fort 25 times or more in my life. By now, it's such a habit that I recognize the fort employees who work there each summer as actors and guides. The actors/guides are not so thoroughly into their characters, however. It's very common for them to talk out of character. I would also wish the State of Michigan Dept. of Parks would allow the fort to update the descriptions of how the people lived. Things are getting a bit old and dusty. Even so, I go, and I will continue to go.

Visited July 2013
Luzerne, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice place”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This was a nice experience and a great place to visit with the kids. Even had a faux cannon firing. Nice buildings inside and more work being done. Also had a great view of the straits and bridge.

Visited May 2013