“A great way to spend the afternoon”

Colonial Michilimackinac
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Treasures from the past come to life at this 18th-century fort and fur trading village. Reconstructed based on historic maps and more than 50 years of archaeological excavations that continue today, Colonial Michilimackinac offers a one-of-a-kind experience from cannon and musket firings to hearth cooking and crafts. Located on the shore of the Straits of Mackinac, visitors of all ages can enjoy the unique perspective from the palisade walls.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The real treasure here are the historical interpreters. They obviously love what they do and are engaging,knowledgeable, and have senses of humor. My teens really enjoyed themselves on a damp,windy day.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We actually really enjoyed our visit, but between this fort, the light house and Fort Mackinaw we spent a fortune. Would be great if they recognized history for our children, in our state, shouldn't cost a fortune...

1  Thank Egolady
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Enjoyable, love the history. The musket, wall musket, and cannon shooting was really cool. Recommend this to everyone.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We just went there for a day on Sunday June 22nd. It was not crowded, and the files were not bad. We did see some clouds of them.

The fort is great. The people in period dress did a GREAT job. The cannon firing and musket red coat guys were really good. My son, 10, talked to one guy for 30 minutes. I think they do a much better job of making history come alive here than on the island at the Fort Mackinac.

It was $75 for both forts. The archeology was great, and seeing the old powder magazine was a nice exhibit.

We spent 4 hours there and did it all. The guy making the bread it was his first week and it was great, yummy.

if you love history this is a great place to image what it was like. You learn how the fur trade worked and why the fort's life ended.

I think they do a great job explaining it. The island fort they let the old buildings almost speak for themselves, since they are original, the staff at this place was great. Our 3 boys loved it.

1  Thank tdfxman
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We visited the fort last year with my young nephews and neice. I was expecting it to be mostly enjoyable for them, as I hadn't been there since I was little. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that we all enjoyed it as much as the kids. The staff working there did an excellent job, allowing you to ask questions and carrying on detailed conversations about how life really was when the fort was active.
The kids' favorite part was of course helping the housewives make their bread and their crackers, seeing them take it from the their kitchen out into the communal stone oven to bake. If you're looking for a hands on educational experience for your children, I would definitely recommend stopping to see what Fort Michilimackinac has to offer you.
Also, as a plus when traveling with small children, they had newly built, very clean, restrooms available right in the fort.
We ended or visit to the fort in the gift shop where the kids bought their British hats! Lots of fun memories!