“Didn't get the room I booked...Even worse was lied to about why!!!”

Bridge Vista Beach Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Kimball, Michigan
“Didn't get the room I booked...Even worse was lied to about why!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I were stopping in Mackinaw City to break up the drive to Munising for our anniversary. I booked a king room with balcony on the lake back in April for our stay in August. At 10:00 am the day we were to check in I got a call from them saying they needed to move me to another room, a double queen with sofa still on the lake since they didn't have any other rooms available. ?? I said I booked this room back in April and it was available then why is it NOT now?? She said they had a large group in the night before and they left the water on and rooms got flooded. Since I had no choice and needed a place to stay I agreed. When we got there we were told our room was an upgrade and larger then the room I booked, but they would give it to us for the same price. Really?? Like it was my fault they had to move me!? We were told our room was ready, so we went up to the 3rd floor, as we walked down the hallway a housekeeper stopped us and asked if we were going to room 320. Told her yes and she said she still had to put towels and coffee in the room and she would be there in a few minutes, Guess it wasn't totally ready?? Went into the bathroom after the towels were placed and noticed garbage on the floor and what looked like sand or some sort of crumbs in the coffee cups on the counter, I think the towels were not the only thing that still needed to be done to make this room ready! My biggest issue though was NO balcony!! Just a dirty window you could barley see out of!! Bugs, spider webs and bird poop!! A huge disappointment as we planned on sitting outside and watching the sunset :( The room was a good size, but there was only the two of us so we didn't need that big of a room, that's why I didn't book that room! After a few hours there we seen several tour buses pull in and quickly start filling the rooms, rooms that we were told were flooded!!! Guess they only care about some guests and not others! Decided to check out the indoor water park/pool area. Heated water my butt, that water was freezing cold! The life guard on duty only cared if you had your wrist bands on to get in, from there it was anything goes. Small kids jumping into the lazy river right in front of him almost landing on other guests and he said nothing to them, jumping in the hot tub and worse thing we seen was a little boy get out of the kiddie pool area grabbing his private as if he really needed to pee instead of his mom taking him to the bathroom she put him into the bigger pool until he was done then he got out and went back to the kiddie pool as if all was right..gross! Not to mention this hotel was a total mess, wet towels everywhere!! You couldn't even walk into the snack area, bathroom, game room or even the hallway by the pool without stepping on a wet towel. The snack area by the pool didn't look like it had been in operating condition in years! There was a ton of junk behind the counter, counter was full of wet towels and personal items that guests left behind in the pool room not to mention all the garbage all over the floor, tables and chairs in the snack area. They must not have the staff to keep these areas clean and picked up since it was all still there the next morning!! This hotel had many issues, from dirty hallways, dirty rooms that were not really ready, people were complaining about back ups in the tub and sinks, as well as no hot water (which we didn't get until the morning we were leaving) A huge disappointment all around! The breakfast room was down the hall from our room and started at an early 6 am...yep you guessed it we were woke up at 6 am by all the people going to eat. Sad thing is these were adults running and yelling down the hallway!! Even one of the staff members was upset about the way these "tour bus" guests were behaving. The only staff member that actually said how sorry she was about all of this, the rest of them didn't really care at all. The front desk girl that checked us in was not very friendly and acted like it was a bother to her that we were there. I heard the other lady checking a small group of people in and making sure she told them very rudely about their non smoking policy and pointing out where they needed to go if they wanted to smoke even after they told her nobody in their party were smokers...We have stayed in Mackinaw City many times and have never seen this kind of treatment at any of the other hotels we have stayed at, I would never stay here again and I would advise others to stay someplace else as well!!! I would like to say thanks to the Bridge Vista for starting our anniversary vacation out on the wrong foot!! We would have complained to the front desk, but knew it wouldn't make a difference since they were rude and we knew they wouldn't care!! Would have been a big waste of time to do so, glad we were only staying one night!!!!! They even had the nerve to call us at 10:50 am the day of check out and ask "if we were planning on checking out anytime soon as you know check out is at 11:00" we still had 10 minutes and were actually walking out the door when the phone rang, really!? I have never had the front desk call me before and say something like that. Now I could see if it was past check out time or something. Please consider staying else where if you are planing a trip to Mackinaw City!! There are so many other choices any of them have to be better then this hotel!! :(

Room Tip: Stay some place else!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Bancroft, MI, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

If if could rate this hotel a ZERO I would, just on their business practices alone. First and foremost they don't care about their guest. You are a $$$$sign. We booked our annual trip to Mackinaw over three months prior to arrival, guaranteed our room with a credit card through, "mackinaw hotels" web sight. Three hours prior to arriving, I received a phone call telling me our room had been "flooded" and there were no rooms available to us. Bridge Vista moved us to the Fairview Hotel down the street (please read my review on this hotel too). This hotel is a "DUMP", no screens on windows, door casings broken, dark and dirty. I called Bridge Vista told them this was unacceptable and they said "sorry" good luck finding a different room.
We did and immediately. Mackinaw City has 1000's of rooms, (don't stay on the strip), Bridge Vista has 100's of rooms they could have moved us too. Apparently, after talking with several shop and hotel owners, this is common practice with this line up of hotels. You get sold out to a higher paying customer. Go ahead make a couple extra bucks on me, but don't believe for a minute that us travelers are a bunch of stupid people. We see the games. Don't discount going to Mackinaw City, because of a greedy business owner. Book your room from the Chamber of Commerce list.

Room Tip: Book trip through the chamber of commerce recommendations
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank skydd_12

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Portage, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had made a 3 night reservation at the Bridge Vista Beach Hotel. Upon checking in I was told that the room I'd reserved was unavailable, and that they were sending us to another hotel that was comparable, and that we'd been upgraded to a two room suite.
We were told that we could come back to the Bridge Vista for breakfast and to use the water park.
The hotel we were sent to (Fairview Beachfront Inn) was a hotel that I'd considered and passed on because of the poor reviews. Those reviews were correct - the place was horrible.
We did go back to the Bridge Vista once for breakfast, but they were packed, and didn't appear to have enough staff, and after waiting in line for ten minutes for a coffee (and still not getting any), we went elsewhere.
I'd never attempt to stay here again.

4 Thank mandy747
Phoenix AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Family booked several rooms 6 weeks ago. On way to hotel, one family member got call that room was not available and moved to another hotel. Claimed damage to room, but we saw no repairman and front desk girl was unaware of any damaged rooms. Hmmmmmm. I think they overbooked or the group there had more than expected. Room clean, but beach not kept up, dirty towels laying around, chairs strewn all over. Too bad cuz such a nice view and beach could be such a focal point. No smoking but 2nd floor above us smoking and throwing butts down in grass. Front desk mixed, a couple friendly staff but also some real cranky ones. Most of staff seemed unhappy, some good old fashioned Michigan hospitality would have gone a long way!!!!!! Had a bonfire on beach but only a group of girl scouts was allowed to use. Workout room closed.
Not horrible but very disappointing I guess. Would have rated average if they would not have ruined family plans.

3 Thank DebMcG26
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Our room was clean, the staff very friendly, including the lifeguard. The kids loved the water park and were not expecting a giant one. The price was great for everything we got. We would definitely stay here again!!!

1 Thank Tami W
Eau Claire, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I made a "blind" reservation, not knowing what hotel I'd get for the price quoted. When I saw that this was the hotel and read some of the reviews, I was sick. I desperately tried to cancel with expedia, but since it was non-refundable, I could get the full amount back to my credit card. I decided we'd suck it up and go, and I brought extra blankets and slippers...hoping we wouldn't get a room with mold! I was surprised and relieved when we saw our room. It was lake side, clean & redone...not at all like the pictures some people had posted online. Maybe they have redone part of the hotel, and not other parts, but our room was fine. We had a lakeside room with two queen beds, and the only negative thing I'd say was that it was pretty cramped for our family of five, but other than that, I was pretty happy with what we got!

Room Tip: Pick lakeside rooms. The court side ones all face the parking lot, and if you happen to get the fir...
1 Thank illuminatedcandles
Hessel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

we had booked a room for 8 people for a birthday party for my 9 year old son. we choose this hotel because of the water park. the day of our arrival ANDY the hotel manager had called to make sure that we were still arriving, he left a message on my cell phone to call him back, i had called the hotel at least 6 times and they said that he was on the phone every time i called, when i finally got a hold of him after waiting 23 mins on hold. he said that our reservation had beencancelled bcuz i didn't call him back to confirm. i told him that i had been trying to call him but every time i did he was on the phone. all he could say is that he was sorry but they sold our room to a walk in and that they were booked. i told him sorry wasn't god enough, he was just very rude, and should not be a manager or eve work with the public with that kind of attitude. we couldn't find a room at all in mack city as all the hotels were full.. we did go to the water park at the hotel that evening bcuz we had plans with the kids and the bday party. the hotel halls were very messy and the changing room/bathroom was very very dirty, toilets were over flowing and clogged, the floors had fesus and urine on them. and toilet paper all over the floor, was not happy at all with the staff, the cleanliness or anything about the hotel at all, WILL NOT BE GOING BACK, we will be going to Boyne or Traverse City for our next family waterpark visit.

6 Thank JenniferN49745