“What has changed?”

Bridge Vista Beach Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel for 10 consecutive years. We saw the hotel transform from
A basic pool to the water park, to a new owner, and a total facade change. We loved coming here for the friendly staff, great beach, and relaxation.
The change from the previous owner is why we will not return.
Reasons:
1. Unfriendly staff. We can walk up to the desk and no one will greet you. We can walk by and no one will say how was your day, have a great day, etc. we get absolutely no acknowledgement. As if we are an interruption of their busy day.
2. The beach is not tended. They used to rake and clean the beach. Not anymore. My son found a rusty nail point side up and another dad found a razor blade. Furniture needs to be repaired. We cleaned up the various beach garbage along with discarded hotel towels which we left on the baggage cart someone towed out to the beach. When we left 4 days later those towels & cart are still there.
3. The housekeeping staff is grossly understaffed. We had to call at 4:00 when our room had not been cleaned. I actually had an upset housekeeping staff member tell me "no your room
Is not clean" when we walked in after being out all day. That was the last insult.
The trick is to call the desk before leaving for the day and tell them you want your room cleaned early.

We already found an alternate hotel for next year. That hotel mentioned they get complaints about Bridge Vista all the time. It's sad. We loved to come here but enough said.

Stayed: July 2014
7  Thank Barb K
There are newer reviews for Bridge Vista Beach Hotel & Convention Center

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The room was clean, quiet, great comfortable bed with awesome pillows.
Room temperature was perfect, did not have to "turn it up, turn it down" fiddling trying to get temp right.
Great breakfast the next morning with awesome view.
I was traveling solo and just passing through, asked for a room away from water park traffic and it was just fine!
Already booked my second stay this coming August!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We arrived on a Sunday around 11:30am. Upon entering the hotel, you can see the beautiful beach that awaits you from the glass doors. My 2 kids and husband checked that out first of course! Lounge chairs, 2 fire pits, and a fenced in area. Beach looked very nice from a glance. Water was cold, as expected. I walked up to the 4 desk clerks at the front and after 2 minutes of no hi or good morning, I spoke up. We tried getting into our room, but no avail. I figured it was worth a try since the sign said "vacancy" The desk clerk got my reservation out and checked us in, but we couldn't get in the room. We went into town (Mackinaw City) and shopped around and ate. We came back around 3:30 and went up to our room. Room was okay. 2 double beds and a view of the parking lot. Beds were comfy, but small. Room was small. We did go out to the beach and the kids swam and then we went into the waterpark. But first, the beach:
Pros: pretty view, calming
Cons: lounge chairs pretty much are all broken, trash on the beach
Waterpark:
Pros: kids loved the slides (2)
Cons: the "lifeguard" or "mediator" for the slide had the weirdest personality ever! He was like a robot. When there was not someone watching the slide, a bunch of kids would climb the stairs and all go down at once. This was so unsafe, so I went to the front desk, and the lady said the person should be there and she asked how long she had not been. I told her at least a couple hours. She did not believe me for the life of me. Other parents were actually sitting in the chair mediating when the kids could go on the slides. Once a "person" who watches the slides would sit down and mediate, he or she would take another "break." The front desk had an "actual argument" with me on this. Who argues with a guest? This place turned me off quick!

Also, my husband called down to see if there were any party stores or liquor stores around and none of the front desk staff had a clue. "I'm not from around here." They were sending my husband 15 miles out of the way, until I actually found a store myself right in downtown Mackinaw City! Are you serious? Who doesn't know what is around here?!

Terrible Front Desk. Terrible Service. The staff need to be trained on customer service and the amentities around the hotel.

I would not return to this hotel. Dirty Waterpark, terrible staff.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank michigangirlof2
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We have a nicely renovated beachfront room with a lovely balcony overlooking the Mackinac Bridge. Room is clean, has newer beds, nice bedding, nice furniture and a mini fridge. (Room 130)
Front desk attendants have been nothing but kind and helpful thus far on our stay. We visited the water park first thing and found it to be a great break after the car ride. My 8 year old was disappointed that the two larger slides were closed while we were swimming but overall it didn't ruin our fun since the waterpark is just a perk for our vacation. Tomorrow we plan on having the free hot breakfast on our way out to the island. No complaints here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We didn't stay at the hotel, but the indoor water park was fun for everyone because it was raining. For $5 per person they let anyone use the water park. Great for smaller kids. Hotel lobby and lake Huron/bridge view was nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joshua W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I don't even know where to start, so I'll do a pro/con list.

Pros: The beach is amazing. It's ridiculously beautiful. You can walk out for several feet, maybe 50+? (a good distance, let's say), and it's only waist deep. There is a wonderful view of the Mackinac Bridge. The sunset is lovely. The other guests were fun to be around - very family friendly hotel. The kids loved the waterpark. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Cons:

Our Room: The blankets had holes. The Wifi was terrible. My kids are loons about their iPads, so this didn't go over well when they couldn't play Minecraft together. It never connected enough for them to do anything requiring Wifi. The pull out bed on the couch will kill the strongest back ~ unless you like sleeping in a soggy taco shell. Yes, the mattress sinks in the middle and envelopes you in an irregular way - like the way a soggy taco shell looks when the filling is about to fall out. Our bathroom floor had a bottle of shampoo glued to it way back under the counter where it obviously hadn't been cleaned in eons. There was also sand all over the bathroom floor. In the bedroom, there was a pair of underwear behind the dresser. Around the edges of the floor between the bed and nightstand, it looked like it had never been cleaned. We killed 7 giant spiders on the ceilings. Yes, we complained. The underwear we saw was the last straw. They came and cleaned the room immediately and did a good job.

The hotel:
Each floor of the hotel has a different smell and none are good. None of the windows have been cleaned inside or out in...forever, I guess. They all had handprints, face prints, tongue prints? and webs. The hallway carpet wasn't vacuumed in our entire 4 day stay. Given the amount of dust and sand along the edges, I'd say it hadn't been done in a very long time. Some of the power sockets in the hall had black burn marks on them like they had blown or gotten overheated or whatever. I'm not an electrician, but they were unsafe to use....this may have something to do with the lack of vacuuming? I dunno. I saw 4 of those on 2 different floors (1st and 2nd). None of the circuit breaker access panels were locked, and they're all over the place. That's an untapped goldmine for some mischievous 13 year old and his/her kooky friends. None of the access doors from the outside are locked either. Anyone can come into the place through any door at all hours of the day and night. Also, the elevators are a bit scary and slow. The door is slow to close on one because of the sand in the track. I was afraid I'd get stuck in there. Another almost closed on my daughter. I had to hurry and jump in between the door and the wall to possibly prevent her from being crushed. It retracted when I jumped in, but I felt like I was in an action movie possibly sacrificing myself to save my child. It could just be because she's a tiny girl, but it could be the elevator. Definitely something to watch out for.

The continental breakfast is typical. That's not a complaint. You get what you expect with a hotel continental breakfast.

The waterpark:
You have to walk through the snack bar area (which looks abandoned) through two sets of doors to get to the pool area. In this area between the doors, there is an inch of inescapable and really nasty black water. Listen to me, it's SO gross. I'm seriously expecting to develop some kind of rash. Once you get into the pool area, you are greeted with a very thick acrid smell of chlorine that feels very unsafe to me. It made all of us cough after a short while, but the kids kept wanting to go back - so we did. It was crazy fun for them and we couldn't deprive them of that, but better ventilation is definitely needed. As far as the pool water, we saw a lot of sand where it looks like people come in from the lake to swim. And, was that baby poop? The jury's still out. I'm not sure what I saw that looked brown and melty at the bottom of the kiddie pool.

When he was around, the lifeguard was very nice, but he was folding towels most of the time. I'm not sure he'd have been around in time if there had been an actual emergency. On Saturday, he was more available and making sure the kids weren't crowding the slides. This was nice since there were grown men blasting down them earlier in the week like they were kids. This created a potentially dangerous situation for younger children and shouldn't have been allowed.

Summary:
All of this is sad because this hotel has a lot of potential to be one of the better ones along this stretch. The beach is perfect and the waterpark is fun. It's just poorly managed and the cleaning staff is sub-standard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Mel0901
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is an amazing gem of a hotel in Mackinaw City. Located just a half-mile from "Hotel Row," as you head toward Cheboygan, don't pass this one up. The waterpark is family-friendly and life-guard protected. It appears that this is an older hotel which is undergoing some serious renovation and it's working very well. I have told all of our friends about this affordable gem and its always warm inside even on a cold, rainy day in the Straits. Keep this one on your radar and ENJOY!

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms a little more but you will have a fantastic view of Lake Huron, the Mackinac Bridge...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family