“Don't judge a hotel by it's cover....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterfront Inn - Mackinaw City

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Waterfront Inn - Mackinaw City
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
“Don't judge a hotel by it's cover....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We previously stayed at this same hotel about 4 years ago and everything was fine then. We loved the location, meaning walking distance to downtown and you can view the island and the bridge from the beach. Well, about a week before we were to leave, I found the reviews on here and was very worried about what we had to look forward to. Well, like I said, you shouldn't judge.

The outside could definitely use some sprucing up and there was a weird smell in the office when we checked in. Check in was a smooth process and they had the coupons for the package we purchased when we reserved the room. We got to our room and everything was fine. The room was clean, my husband also checked for bedbugs and found none. There was plenty of towels for my family, in fact I asked the maid for more and she gave me more than requested. The bathroom was clean along with the shower. Since the room was okay, we decided to stay another night and went back to the office to book the last night.

This isn't a top of the line, brand new out of a box hotel. It is an establishment that has been is this city for many years and it looks like it. If you are looking for something that is shiny and pretty, go somewhere else. If you want a place that is cheap and clean and just want to hang out between going to the island, the bridge and the UP, then this is the place.

Room Tip: If you get the option, get a room on the lake or one of the rooms on the far south side of the prope...
2 Thank Lauri L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Fenton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel does need updates especially to the outside. That being said, the staff were very friendly when we checked in. They accidentally put my mom on a 3rd floor room and they switched us to a 1st floor lake front room that was just beautiful. The rooms were clean and did NOT smell. They had minor flaws but nothing even worth mentioning. I automatically go over EVERYTHING with a Clorox wipe when I get to any hotel room. The wipes I used in this room looked like new when I was done. I didn't find hardly any dust or dirt anywhere even in the bathroom. As for the bugs and spiders everywhere. It's part of staying in a town on the water. The baloney was spider free and safe to sit on and we only found 1 spider (a daddy long leg) in the room. If you walk downtown Mackinaw City there are spider webs all over the buildings, it's part of staying in a town on the water. The pool area was clean and nice and we also got to use the water park at a hotel near by which was also fun.

We do not go to Mackinaw to spend all of our money on a hotel room. This hotel is cheep, clean, and the staff are very friendly (even the hippie looking manager). Those of you who are nit picking every little detail need to go some place else where you spend well over $130 a night. I for one go for the attractions not the hotel rooms. We will return next year.

Room Tip: Take a mattress pad the beds are kind of hard
1 Thank Jenny C
LaPorte, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Check in was fast. Had a great view of the lake from our room on the 3rd floor. It is an older hotel in need of some updates but our room was clean, the air worked and didn't smell. My grandson enjoyed the pool. The pool was open until 11pm, which was great. The only complaint is we didn't get to use the balcony because of all the spiders. My suggestion would be spray the balconies daily to get rid of the spiders.

Room Tip: If you stay here get a room facing the beach.
      Cleanliness
2 Thank demfur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

After reading the reviews, I thought this place would be ok for our weekend trip. The only good thing was that the room was clean. Other than that, it was gross. The outside was falling apart - plywood nailed to the side of the building, exterior walls are falling apart, and the room slanted. I'm pretty sure there is a foundation problem. The bathroom floor also crackled and felt like you were going to fall through to the room below. The room smelled awful and there were spiders everywhere! Also, the beds were very uncomfortable - hard as rocks. The person running the front desk was less than professional - wearing a TMNT t-shirt and pajama pants to check out guests at 10am. If there would have been a vacancy ANYWHERE else, we would have forfeited our money and gone elsewhere. It's worth spending a little extra $$ to stay at a different hotel.

Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Mattawan, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we did not read the reviews before booking our last minute trip. Check in wasn't until 4, room smelled awful, very old and outdated and just felt "sketchy". Looked as if it was a motel for drugs and prostitution. Other visitors were gathered outside our room and could be heard as if the windows were open. Also very small and cramped. Needless to say, we left after 5 minutes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is our 2nd time here. I booked on Mackinaw Chamber of Tourism and got a great package price. I called ahead to see if we could get the room we had before and was told they would try. When we checked in they asked if we were the ones that asked for 3 beds and I said no. We walked in and found we were given a 2 room mini suite. This room isn;'t even listed on the site! One room had 2 queen beds, one room had 1. Both had tv's . For a family of 4 this was great!! Yes, the room had MINOR flaws. Nothing worth mentioning. We are not too picky when it comes to hotels as long as it's clean, which it was! We would stay there again without hestitating. I read the other people's complaints and for the most part they were ridiculous. If you are one of those people who look for problems the moment you walk into a room, don't stay here. If you want a great room, great price, great location, then stay here!

Location
4 Thank prepper
West Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I read the less than stellar reviews and decided to chance it. I'm a simple girl and don't require much in the way of luxuries at hotels. This place had no luxuries.

When we arrived, the women at the desk were less than efficient. I was able to get my room keys, but the ferry tickets that were part of my package couldn't be accessed. As I arrived in the office, the phone rang, was answered, and the person was put on hold. I was in the office for approximately 10 minutes while the women tried to access my ferry tickets and help two kids who had wrist bands for the water park near by. Neither women went back to the customer holding on the phone and I was told to come back later to see if they had my ferry tickets.

Upon pulling up to the waterfront building where our room was located, I noticed that the paint was peeling off the front of the building. Not a health issue, but very unattractive. Upon entering our room the first thing I noticed was the overwhelming smell of deodorizer. I headed to the sliding doors leading out onto our balcony and was disappointed to realize that we had no view of the water because the seal on the doors had obviously been broken for a very long time. Between the glass was entirely covered with a white stain and condensation - we couldn't see anything out of the glass. I tried to open the door to air out the room and after trying for a few seconds to get the door unlocked I realized the lock was broken and the door was being held shut by a piece of wood. Once out on the balcony I realized we would not be taking any walks along the shore line because the entire area between the building and the lake was covered in goose dropping. I don't mean a few here and there, there wasn't even a space to step without stepping in "stuff". Very disgusting.

I headed back into the room to unpack and noticed that, even though the room had two queen beds, we had one towel. Not a wash cloth or hand towel in sight....one bath towel, that was it.

I could go on, but to keep this short I will say that the room was clean. If you need a place to lay your head for a night and shower in the morning, this is an inexpensive place to do that. Don't expect anything. There is no coffee maker, hair dryer or iron/board in the room. The price we paid was very inexpensive for the area considering it included breakfast buffet (at the neighboring hotel property), which we did not take advantage of, admittance to a water park (at the neighboring hotel property), which we did not take advantage of and our ferry tickets.

We will not being staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple