“Excellent Experience”

Waterfront Inn - Mackinaw City
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Our room had the beach and island view. Could see the ferries come and go. Room was clean and nice. Had a nice swimming pool which was covered. Breakfast served was fresh and wholesome. It carried us till lunch. Overall a nice stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AshishBothra

Reviewed 29 September 2010

Sorry, but I have to say up front that I don't like motels. Quite honestly, the prices might have been crazy-inflated because it was July 4th weekend, though I know of no reason this is a hot spot for these dates. I got this room through priceline's bidding feature for $100.

Lets be honest, its just simple motel-style accommodation in a old building. The grounds are not very nice, the breakfast included is very basic and eaten in a 70's era room, the room was gloomy, and it didn't represent value to me. On the good side, this property is right on the lake (though not too far from boat docks), the room was clean and functional, and it was not noisy. The room was very dated with a small bathroom and the sink/counter on the outside of the bathroom at the end of the bedroom. This offered good counter-space for toiletries. I appreciated the luggage rack, mini fridge and HBO.

Tips: I always take a little bottle of fabreeze with me and rubber flip-flops are great for showers as well as the beach.

1  Thank 2-4-T
Reviewed 3 September 2010

his is an older motel with basic services and ammenities. Most nights its a good value. However, some nights prices aren't much lower than the new and much nicer Mackinaw Beach and Bay hotel under same ownership next door.

Ammenities in room: mini fridge, microwave on request, no hair dryer, ketchup packets of shampoo, no conditioner.

Bed: cheap mattress which is firm, not worn out, and provides an adequate sleep.

Cleanliness: generally very clean. No problems with towels or sheets.

Free wifi: spotty coverage. Doesn't work in some rooms

Decor: dated furniture in good repair. Tube-style TV which is rather small in courtside rooms and of adequate size in more expensive rooms. Paint, carpet, wood trim, wallpaper all in good condition.

Pool: well-maintained and adequately heated. Hot tub adjacent to pool. Was hot. Must walk outside to get to pool.

Breakfast: included but very basic - 3 kinds of cold cereal. Instant oatmeal. Make-your-own waffles, white and wheat bread for toast. 2 kinds of muffins. No fruit, eggs, English muffins or bagels.

View: great view of straits from lakefront rooms. No view from courtside rooms.

Beach: nice large beach. Campfire pit, BBQ grills, beach furniture. Sandy. Some lawn between building and sand.

Staff: friendly, courteous and helpful.

If you just need a place to sleep or a budget place to hang out, this hotel is an excellent value most nights. A few nights you could get a nicer place for not much more so be sure to compare.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank A_Michigan_Traveler
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Just got back from our 3 night getaway. We picked this hotel because of the price. (AAA discount) was less than a total of $130/3 nights. We booked 2 doubles and asked if there were any upgrades available. They upgraded us to 2 queens- 2 doors off of the beach. The staff was super friendly and you could tell, loved their jobs. We had breakfast every morning, consisting of toast, make your own waffles, orange juice, milk, coffee/tea, 3 kinds of cereal, oatmeal and 2 kinds of muffins. The only negative about the breakfast (IF I had to pick one) would be it would have been nice to have a different choice each morning. Each morning it was always the same. I don't know what people are talking about. Our room was NOT SMALL. In fact, it was one of the biggest rooms we have stayed in. It had a fridge, which was great and we used all the time. Shower pressure could have been been better. Nice pool and jacuzzi, although it really should have been hotter. In a magazine listing its amenities it said it had free WIFI. My daughter's wouldn't work. I forgot to ask the front desk about it. The one thing I would have to agree with in some of the negative reviews was the beach. There is a line of hotels down the beach. My daughter and I walked down all the beaches and the one that is "our hotel's" was the yuckiest. It really does need to be cleaned up. The other ones (even though for the most part they are all connected) were much cleaner, better sand and no algae. It did have lounge chairs, play area, bbq's and a fire pit. We decided to sray in Mackinaw City this year based on price. Petoskey was way more money. We took the Arnold Ferry to Mackinaw -we have never taken this line before and will take this line from now on. Biggest Boat and recommended for the smoothest ride. One thing we did find weird was our housekeeping staff left an envelope with her name on it for tips. We have never come across this in a motel. We did leave a tip (one morning she left us 2 swans kissing in the shape of a heart with a Hersheys kiss in the middle, on our bed). Is the tip envelope common practice? BTW- I gave cleanliness a 4 instead of a 5 only because of the beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank prepper
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I made reservations by phone 30 days in advance for 3 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun), but when I got there they had only given me Fri with no notice. And then could not find the original reservation paperwork. This began my vacation with a BAD situation and I will never consider this place or suggest it be used.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We would definately stay at this motel again. The motel is not new , and the rooms a little small, but they are kept extremely clean. We don't need a large room while on vacation, since you spend your time sight-seeing and only need it to sleep. When we arrived we were given a room on the 3rd floor, which has all open staircases. I'm a bit afraid of heights and they changed our room immediately to a first floor room, without any problems. The location is directly on the beach which has chairs and bar-b-que grills for you to use. They have firepits for afterdark fires on the beach. The continental breakfast was cereal, toast, homemade waffles, muffins, coffee & juice. They have free internet which was very easy to use, since I was also conducting business while vacationing. Everyone was very helpful and the main thing everything was clean and kept up. If you are looking for a fancy motel, then this is not for you, but if you are lookiing for a clean place to sleep while on vacation, I would give this place a try.

2  Thank caicos05
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We had a wonderful view of the island outside from our waterfront room, but inside it looked like the furnishings hadn't been updated in my 30 year lifetime. We received everything we asked for including a queen bed, crib for our infant, mini refrigerator, and microwave so I can't complain about the service. That was not enough to make up for the tiny space we had inside a room surrounded by wood paneling, a drop ceiling, and pink/peach bathtub and toilet (with white lid). We had to move the crib around to reach the bathroom so I would not recommend this room for families. We were tempted to find another hotel. Apparently the owners run the brand new Mackinaw Beach and Bay next door so all their money went into building that instead of modernizing their existing property. My parents had a nicer room with 2 queen beds, but it was on the second floor and there is no elevator. They had specifically requested a ground floor room because my dad walks with a cane. The hotel had even called them to confirm the reservation and my mom made sure they were aware of the need for a handicap accessible room. Breakfast is free, but nothing special. The dry mufflns and non-belgian waffles were not something I would want for more than a day or two. The pool was ok. There are inner tubes and a small waterfall for kids, but of course that was not running when we went. The price was cheaper than other hotels in town and now I can see why.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family