“Clean, quiet, lovely view and breakfast!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites

Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
New Jersey
“Clean, quiet, lovely view and breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

We found this hotel to be lovely. Our room was first floor--right on the beach. We did nothing but sleep there but it was lovely to look out! Packing lot was fine, room was very spacious--would have been great if we'd had the kids along. Breakfast was nice--staff was helpful. Price was great!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Wyoming, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Just got back from a very nice stay at the Mackinaw Beach and Bay. I booked this resort because they offer separate sleeping spaces, which is a huge plus when you have a family member that is a restless sleeper (like me!). I had booked the standard view, and was very happy to be upgraded to a lake view, that came with an extra fold out bed. That was perfect, as I was traveling with my teenaged niece and twenty-something nephew. We all had our own sleeping space!

The clerks at the desk were very friendly, and would ask us how our trip was going when we walked by to take advantage of the free breakfast. That was your typical eggs, sausage, waffle offerings. All in all we had a great stay, and I would definitely return!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have either a balcony or small deck with a great view of the island and the bridge.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We had originally planned to stay in this hotel one night but quickly decided to stay for three as the location was perfect for our travel plans, the room was great for our family, and the staff (especially Heather) was friendly and helpful as we planned the rest of our trip. It was a wonderful setting!

Stayed August 2014
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

For a quick over might stay before we go to the island we usually stay here. Better than a the few others we have tried. Can't be the price. This time we saved $20 by getting the courtyard room. Which means it's in a high traffic area. All rooms have a water view. In my opinion it was worth saving the $

Stayed August 2014
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

This fairly new hotel replaced a quaint group of cabin structures that I stayed at many times over the past 40 years, so I was curious as to whether progress was an upgrade. Gone were the cabins and outdoor shuffleboard and grassy picnic areas by the lakeshore. The beach is now not very inviting, being fairly dirty. I came away uninspired as it looked like any other hotel housing hundreds of patrons. The good part was a friendly and well-informed front desk manager. He got us in quickly, and gave us plenty of tips to enjoy the area and save some money for boat ferry and dinner. The bed was large and comfortable. I was surprised to discover it was actually two rooms, each with a TV. Could easily have accommodated a family of 4 -5, or even a pair of travel companions. Water heated quickly, room was clean, TV's worked. I have no major complaints, but I've stayed at better hotels for less the price. You're paying for location along with a dozen other large hotels. The hotel lay-out was a bit sprawling, with a circuitous route to find the indoor pool. The pool area itself was part of the previous property I mentioned above. It looked its age, and was dark (dark blue walls) with a small, uninviting hot-tub. The pool itself is nice, L-shaped with a waterfall. But again, few windows and florescent type lighting gave an impression of being in a basement. I could not figure out how to control the temperature or the air flow in the guest room - maybe it's meant that way. Our final morning the buffet breakfast was really very good, held in what felt like a conference room with no windows. Our female counter staff was not very friendly, and it was like playing twenty questions to get simple information, even though there were no other patrons needing attention. I'd forego using the shuttle bus to the docks as it's not a very far walk.

In summation, this hotel has little character for the memory bank, and I would have rated it this way even without my memories of its quaint predecessor.

Room Tip: Beach facing rooms are a hike to the indoor pool. Balconies on the beach-side don't face the Ma...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank spatts
Howell, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was a nice hotel and reasonably priced for this tourist city. Great view of the east and sunrise from every room. There is a balcony however due to the sea gulls being everywhere and yelling at 5:30 every morning we did not sleep that great. We did not walk on the beach because of the poop and feathers. Hotel inside was good, breakfast was typical and it was away from all the noise and downtown traffic.

Room Tip: We always ask for an upstairs room because typically families with kids in a room make more noise th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is your standard two star hotel. While I have no complaints, I am stumped by the rave reviews. We enjoyed the great view and a large room, but I believe you could find this experience at any of the other dozens of hotels along the strip. Service, as mentioned by others, was a bit gruff, but warmed up when we were super nice to them. I also thought it was very pricey for what we got. You can't go wrong here, but don't go in expecting anything special.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends