“Would not recommend”

Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at Mackinaw Mill Creek for the 4th of July holiday, but I will not come back. The sites are extremely small and tight, and the staff is rude and unfriendly. We reserved three sites for a group of 12 and we could not peacefully gather by the campfire at night because every site is so close to each other.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Homer25

Reviewed 29 June 2011

Mill Creek is a very large campground, with a great location on the lake. The views of the bridge at night with the sun going down were beautiful. Our site, a water/electric site was very large in comparison to other campgrounds we've stayed at. I liked that there were trees on three sides of the site, which makes it more private.

There is a nice camp store, lots of wine/liquor, pizza, camping gear, grocery items, etc. There is an arcade for bigger kids, and a nice little playground. This is all at the back side of the campground.

However, if you are looking for a FULL hook-up site, they are very cramped. I've never seen RV's parked so closely at a campground before. It's obvious that they try to fit as many in on the bridge side of the campground as possible, for the view, but i would have been upset if our site was that small. I would highly reccomend a water/electric site only. They are much larger.

The only other thing we didn't like, is there were a lot of rules regarding firewood, quiet time, not wearing shoes/"street clothes" into the pool area" etc. posted in the flier they hand out ,but no info on anything going on at the campground that weekend. They didn't seem very friendly when we checked in. Twice we saw a fire truck/hayride go by with lots of kids, but we didn't know about it. I'm sure our kids would have enjoyed it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jballtraveler
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were here the week after Memorial Day, so the place was fairly empty. The lots are very close, but did not bother us as we were only one of twenty campers in the park. I requested a Bridge View six months in advance, we did get a water view, but could not see the bridge. The campground was clean, and staff was nice. The restrooms and the showers were gross to say the least. The showers need some major updating. We may try the place down the road next time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Now, I dont normally write reviews. But, before we left I read about a million of them looking for some specifics. So, hopefully someone else will be able to benifit from our experience. We had a delux bridge view, on the lake cabin. I was a little dissapointed to arrive and find that you are not really "on the lake". The cabin is about 150 yards from the beach. So, if you are planning on letting the kids play in the water as you lay from your cabin and watch.... DONT. Its not even possible. There is a huge grassy area leading to the water, that my girls loved running and playing in. The beach is way to rocky in this area to even consider letting them play in. But after the original dissapointment, I was very pleased with the location. THe view is amaxing, but the bugs were so bad by the water, that I loved being back a little. The cabin itself was perfect for 2 small children. The bunkbeds were in their own little room with plenty of room for storage. The kitchenette even came with a microwave, which we were not expecting. Make sure you bring your own towels, bedding and such. It was very clean.
We were able to use to heated pool on the first day it was open. It was nice and clean, and actually warm for June 1. There is a huge playground right next to it, thatthe kids loved. The store had everything that you could need and more. The prices were pretty decent actually. There is also a very nice little sandy beach area.
Keep in mind that we did all of this on the "off season". We were there the very first week of June. The park is HUGE and it was empty. I imagine it would get quite crowded and over run as others have stated. But, for what we wanted, it was all perfect. We didnt have any problems with staff or service. You cant beat the price and the location. Plus, your only 3 miles from Mackinaw City and 12 from Cheboygan. Both are great places to get away from cabin life for the day. Have fun!

Room Tip: Bridge view on the lake
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank sahmof2grlz
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Don't expect much and you won't be disapointed. VERY tight full hook up sites right next to the above ground septic that smells like sewer. In the full hook-up area your awning will be 16 inches away from the trailer next to you. Stay in the water and electric sites for a larger camp site. The dump station is just plain nasty as your sewer water spills on the ground and then funnels down the drain. Rinse all the nasty down with a hose and your done. I dump my tanks at a campground by my home so I don't hqve to use theirs. They make it very clear over and over that you cannot bring your own firewood into the campground. You are required to buy their wet, green, split last week wood that won't burn. The wood is always wet and green, always, alway, always. Save youself the agrivation and skip the fire.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank psdpilot
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I made reservations in March for a bridge view site in September. All summer I dreamed about how peaceful it would be sitting by my campfire with my husband, kids tucked in bed, and a glass of wine while gazing at the Mackinaw Bridge. Sounds romantic? I thought so until we pulled into our site and we had to of had the smallest site possible and the view was completely blocked by trees. I was so not happy. The next disappointment was the fire pan. It looked more like a large dog bowl. This made fires rather dangerous as it was impossible to keep the logs in the pan. When you are done with your fire you need to dispose of the ashes yourself. The third disappointment was the fact you had to drive your own trash up to the front of the park, no pick up. The 4th, you had to pay for wi-fi. I am very glad we had full hook ups, if we didn't we'd have to drive to the one or two bath houses and toilets. This campground is just too big and too crammed full of sites. The playground was too far away to let my kids go on their own. The water view was beautiful but I'm sure I could find better. We paid $37/night in off season. A bit steep for the lack of amenities.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank cstaskie
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We traveled from MN with my parents and siblings to stay at this campground. Our stay was for 1 week. My parents stayed in their trailer while we stayed in a tent. The campground is huge. There are a ton of sites. The sites near the lake are very cramped as they are obviously trying to pack as many in as they can. The sites we stayed on were further from the lake, much larger than those near the lake, and relatively quiet as the campground wasn't full.
Bathrooms - There are flush toilets but our site was too far from them so we used the pit toilets. I hate pit toilets and often prefer to use the woods. These, toilets, however, we the nicest pit toilets I've ever visited (yes, I said 'nice' and 'pit toilet' in the same sentence). They were extremely clean and did not smell at all.
Showers - The showers in the large shower room are separated by a thin curtain. If you try to pull yours closed, you risked opening the curtain of your neighbor. Fortunately, there was never more than 2 other people showering at the same time as me so the curtain wasn't much of an issue. I always used the end showers as the drains were located in the middle shower stalls. Even though I wear shoes in the shower, the thought of another person's dirty shower water flowing into my stall disgusted me.
Sites - As mentioned above, sites near the lake were small and packed in. Our site was farther away from the lake and quite spacious. The worst part about our site was the lack of grass - there wasn't any! Our site was covered with dirt and rocks. This was a pain as every time you walked outside your feet/shoes got filthy. My toddler was always playing the dirt as there wasn't anywhere else for her to go.
Campfire - What campfire? Who would want a camp fire when camping? Actually, you could have a fire if you got a pan from the store (free). If you thought you'd have a decent sized fire, think again. The pan was the size of a large kettle. The fire built in it never was taller than 8" - pretty pathetic for a campfire.
Service - When entering the campground, the attendants were very nice and helpful. There were attendants always driving around and cleaning or reminding people to slow down. The service in the store, however, was a different story. We went to the shop several times to buy wood, get a forgotten item, purchase coffee and every time we attempted to purchase something, we had to wait for the clerks to end their conversation before acknowledging our presence. Clerks were conversing with each other behind the counter all of the time. They also had other campground employees in the store adding more distraction for the people who should have been helping customers wrap up their purchases.
Beach - There was a very small beach at the campground. The bottom of the lake was quite rocky and at times difficult to walk through. Also, the water nearest the shore was full of tiny dead insects. If you put your arm in the water and pulled it out, you'd see at least 50 dead bugs stuck to it. Once you walked 5 feet away from the shore, however, the water was clear and calm. We walked at least 100 yards away from the shore without the water reaching our knees.

Overall - it was an okay campground. When we camp, we expect grassy areas and a large fire in the evening. These two essential camping amenities were not present as this huge campground. We would recommend this campground as it did have some perks but I probably would not visit it again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family