“Great Great Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
Ludington, Michigan
“Great Great Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We reserved a larger site (40 x 60) and were happy with our experience. We were sleeping in a 28 foot trailer and the site was plenty big with plenty of space for our family to spread out. Our site had a picnic table and fire ring. We were able to see Lake Huron from our site and a quick walk led us to the beach, where they have fire rings set up so you can have an evening fire and look at the Mackinaw Bridge lit up at night. They have a very good variety of sites, from smaller tent sites and rv sites to the 40 x 60... so people have a variety of options open to them. If people thought their campsite was too small, they could have reserved a bigger site like we did. The staff was very helpful and honest when we called, letting us know that some people thought the smaller sites were too small and close together for their taste, which is why we went with a bigger site. They also have lots of things to do there, from the beach, to a heated pool, playgrounds, basketball, and firetruck and hay rides. Also, staff were constantly cleaning bathrooms, picking up any trash, ashes etc. so showers and grounds were VERY well kept. We couldn't' have asked for better!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rebeccavaara

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bay City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have stayed here twice in the last year. The most recent time we had family come with us. Our group had a cabin, large RV site and a tent site. We were all very pleased with our accommodations. The wifi was not consistent at all. We do like the trees between the sites for extra privacy. The open grassy area by the water is a great place to relax and see the bridge or look at the stars. We will be back next summer.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is a challenge maintaining wifi over a 200 acre park and yes, our wifi has been giving us problems all summer (and some of last summer). We have had to ask campers on some days to use the units by our Store or Office because of outages in the park. As of today, we finally got the engineer from the firm that operates our system here on site and he is redoing the entire system with more resilient radios and adding an additional 100 MB/Sec leg to the two others we already have. He seems to think it will do the trick and we hope if you come and see us again that it will be a dependable and satisfying experience. As of today we also found out that apparently there was a flaw in some of our nearly new wifi radios that let them leak water. So that means we have a lot of room for improvement here. At this point I am hoping it is all in order by this Friday as planned.
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Mackinaw Mill Creek campgrounds! I had a picture in my mind of what the cabin and the camping experience would be like here and this place far exceeded those expectations! We reserved a large cabin with a bathroom and wouldn't change a single thing about it. The cabin was extremely clean and well appointed. We had to bring our own sheets, cooking supplies, etc., but that was fine by me and we were prepared. The front of the cabin had a large kitchen/bed area, with a separate bath and separate second bedroom. The bath was large, the shower a bit small for my 6'5" husband, but no complaints here. Plenty of hot water! The second bedroom consisted of queen sized bunk beds which our girls loved! The room also had plenty of nooks and cubbies for all of their clothes, boots, books, etc. The beds had your basic camp mattress, so bring an extra mattress pad if you need it. The kitchen had plenty of cupboards and everything we brought could be stashed away in the cabinet space. The refrigerator worked great! There was plenty of counter space and the large indoor picnic table which seats 8 was a welcome break from the outdoor weather for playing games and eating. The cabin also had a small heater which was perfect for warming up the chilly morning air. The surrounding campsites and grounds were well mowed and landscaped. You could see the pride the owners have in this campground in how well they have maintained the beauty of the lakeside and surrounding areas. I also could tell how many new trees have been planted so that in the future, the campsites will have even more privacy. We appreciated the owners spraying the gravel roads to keep the dust down as well. We had a nice fire ring for cooking outdoors and the large front deck of the cabin was a great place to store our extra gear and our sandy shoes. We only had to walk a short time to hit the lakeshore. It was beautiful, with stunning views of the Mackinac Bridge. Our girls enjoyed the evening hayride and fire truck rides as well as the pool. My husband hit up the store for an evening pizza and it was a bargain. He also picked up some simple groceries until we could hit the stores in the city. Our friends who brought their camper with them were kindly located next to our cabin so we were within a stone's throw away from each other. Their campsite was large with much open space on either side. There was a nice playground for the children and the beach area was beautiful. While driving through the campsite you could see all different modes of camping -tent, RV, trailer, etc. Those expecting perfection will not find it as you are camping. Be advised, you will get what you pay for with regards to the size of your site and the amenities provided. We were willing to pay a bit more to have additional space. That might not be an option for some, but if possible, try to extend your budget to include a bigger lot size. We didn't care if our cabin was located lakeside because it is an easy walk to get there. Our family had a wonderful experience and would come back to this exact spot and campsite again if the opportunity arises, which I certainly hope it does!!

Room Tip: We were in cabin 729. One row down from the lakeside cabins. It was less than 5 minutes from the s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank jiangximommy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Our family really enjoyed our stay there. Great views for seeing the island or the bridge. The playgrounds were great and restrooms/showers cleaned well daily. The camp store was a great convenience and reasonable priced.

• Stayed June 2013
      Rooms
1 Thank Speparm
Swartz Creek, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

First time here, and we paid extra for the bridge & water view. Spot was very narrow and the camper awning touch the shrubs on the property line. By the time you put your camper and truck in the spot, there wasn't really any room to sit on your camp spot which is something I was looking forward to . Tall trees were on the lawn directly across from the trailer, so even if I could have sat under my awing or in front of trailer, my view was block. However, the lawn across the road had plenty of room for anyone in the campground to sit as it was an open area. I felt like I got ripped off for paying for a bridge and water view spot when I could of just got a regular site and walked over to the bridge & water view.

Huge camp ground, lots of people but well kept up. The couple times I did business at the camp store; I didn't feel very welcome. Overall it appeared to be a nice campground but too big and busy for us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tina g
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thanks Tina, but I have to disagree with you on the value. There are NO campsites anywhere (let alone full hookups) with a view of the Straits of Mackinac, Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island. That is because the real estate is very expensive and taxed that way too. Because of these costs, this type of view will someday only be available to luxury homes and gated communities - not to campers. Yes bridge-view full hookup sites are narrower (30 foot instead of 40 foot wide like our Extra Large RV sites, so that we don't have to charge more to make up for fewer sites. If you really need the room we have less expensive, very large RV sites that are approximately 40 foot x 60 foot and larger. We made a decision to plant trees between the sites to help with privacy, which does cut down on the space a bit. You are right, we try to keep as few sites blocking the lakefront as possible so that there is a large grassy common area on the lake so that everyone can enjoy it. Sorry to hear that the you didn't feel that our people in the store weren't friendly. We have been having some problems with some of our equipment there and the staff has been a little stressed this summer- maybe you sensed that. Please don't take it personally - they really are a great bunch of people. Thanks for giving us a try.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Had a great, long and wide lot. Tall trees between lots for privacy. Huge camp ground. Lots of people. Camping with a lake view was much tighter. More narrow places closer to lake with densely lined tall shrubs for privacy, but narrow. Would recommend. Not sure where bad reviews came from. Staff was nice. Shuttle to mackinaw ferry.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 91kmjm
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

My group of 3 stayed at Mackinaw Mill Creek two days ago and I was honestly quite impressed! We brought one large (2-room) tent and stayed at their "No Hook-Up" site, which was in a tents only ring not too far from the camp store, restrooms, showers, and pool. We paid $27, which is a steal for the area and the quality. We are pretty barebones people, not needing many amenities... but here's my summary:

- our tents-only campsite was actually quite large! We were on a corner by the water pump, there was a picnic table, plenty of room for our large tent, and room for the SUV. We did not have a fire, but there would have been plenty of space for one!
- the restrooms were always clean and I never had to wait,
- the showers were decent (water temp. fluctuates a bit during prime hours),
- there is a beautiful sandy beach (most of the shore is rocky if you go to a public area not associated with a hotel/campsite). It was a beautiful place to star-gaze and watch the meteor shower at night.
- it was suprisingly quiet at night, even though it was busy with families.
- there's a pool, arcade room, small-scale putt putt golf, and a camp store, which make it a great place for families, beyond the natural attractions.

The only possible cons I have are that there isn't a firepit at the site, you have to go to the camp store to get one... but you have to go there for wood anyways, so I wouldn't really care much (moreso an oddity). I also felt like I should call to make my reservation, to make sure I was getting the appropriate site, as the website reservations were a little strange for me... but the woman I spoke with was very friendly and helpful and I had a great booking experience as well.

So for not needing any fancy privileges, I would definitely recommend this campground. I have stayed at Wilderness State Park previously, but it is much farther from downtown Mackinaw and more expensive (for our camp style at least).

Room Tip: I loved being in the "tents-only" ring and not squished between two big RVs. If you want v...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
#12 of 39 in Mackinaw City
Thunderbird Inn
Thunderbird Inn
#14 of 39 in Mackinaw City

Been to Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground? Share your experiences!