“Customer abc led us to terrible site”

and 1 more site!
Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
Flat Rock, North Carolina
“Customer abc led us to terrible site”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We had reservations at wilderness and changed mill creek. It was more convenient and has a great bike path to town. The site they booked for us was terrible so we complained and got one twice the price. I don't understand why they didn't offer a better site when the place was empty! The water and bridge views are awesome! We were surprised at no laundry so we had to ride 3 miles to get there . The store is well stocked. Bathrooms very clean and nice although only two main locations and the place is huge. Overall good stay but would try state park next time.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank marcia s
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Yes we have 21 different types of sites. It sounds like you were originally booked in one of our inexpensive sites. The staff lets everyone know that the inexpensive sites are small and closer to other campers - and that we have larger sites available. Those small sites are for campers with small rigs who are on a tight budget. I am sorry that you did not originally get the site you preferred, but you were able to easily switch sites and it sounds like you had a good experience here. I am not sure why you felt it necessary to mark us down? Was it because we had too many choices for you, or because you felt that you were inconvenienced by having to change sites? Wilderness is a great park and everyone should experience it at least once, but it is very far from town and local attractions, and you wouldn't want to ride a bike on their narrow road with trucks and RV's 12 miles into town. It sounds like you had a full hookup 30 amp site on the lake with a view of the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island- those also are not available anywhere else in Northern Michigan except for at Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I would have liked to have given this a nice rating--overall it was clean and organized. However we had a very, very unpleasant experience. I accidentally parked in the wrong place and I am in the wrong on that--I thought it was part of our spot but the spots are marked poorly so it was a mistake. They called me to move my vehicle and made me come back to move my car (I was on Mackinaw Island, for which I paid very dearly) and I had to be back by 5 (they called at 3 and it took all of the 2 hours to make it back to the ferry, wait and ferry back). We came back right away to move the car and missed out on our day in Mackinaw because "they couldn't rent that spot with my vehicle there". Well, low and behold, there was no one camped there or anywhere near us (at least 5 or more empty spots) that night or the next. Could they not have understood where I was (which I explained) and cut me a little slack? It was the worst place I've ever stayed for that reason. Make sure you understand where the lame markings are so you can park in the right spot or you may just waste hundreds of dollars on a trip to the Island that you can't finish because someone "might" come in and rent all the empty spots up! Biggest waste of money and time of my life. I have never been so disappointed in a business in all my life. I know it was my fault that I parked incorrectly but to have no understanding or compassion for my situation and then have it result with NO ONE camping anywhere near us with lots of empty spots everywhere, after I came all the way back--it was the worst experience of my life.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay if you ever make mistakes in life! No erasers used here!
8 Thank AK2TXGirl
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We want all our guests to have a great time when they stay here and anything less makes us unhappy as well. I assume you must have been here Labor Day weekend? If so, I can explain why you had to move. On Labor Day weekend we have a minimum stay of several days. Some people can't make it for all the days, but they want to experience the bridgewalk and camp with us so they book sites that may not be occupied for all the days. Regardless of that, we are required to keep a site that has been paid for in advance - open. We don't know when the guests will arrive, but it our responsibility to keep their site open. We don't promise specific sites for reservations, however, many of our Labor Day campers have been coming for 10, 20, 30 years and camp in groups and in the same sites each year, so we always try to accommodate those return guests. It can be impossible on a weekend where the camp is full to move people to different sites (especially if we are committed to keeping a group together). You can see other reviews on here where we were unsuccessful at keeping an entire group booking together (it happens occasionally). Any other time but Labor Day or July 4th weekend, we usually have lots of flexibility for making changes. For Labor Day weekend, the campground's cabins and sites are booked months (many one year) in advance and it is very important that everyone go to the site they have been registered for. I know that it must have been maddening to see empty sites around you, but believe me, if the staff could have moved sites to accommodate you, they would have. I know those Mackinac Ferry tickets are expensive, so if you ever decide to give us another chance, please let the staff know in advance that Frank has promised to get you Mackinac Island passes for your family. I hope you otherwise enjoyed your precious vacation time - we all have so little!!!
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had a fabulous time at this campground, both young and old.Our site was steps away from the beautiful lake with the bridge all lit up at night. We had a campfire down by the waters edge and watched the fireworks across the lake. The pool was nice and warm and not over crowded considering it was a holiday weekend! The staff was great and very friendly. We will definitely recommend this campground to all of our friends. We will be back next year for sure!!!

Room Tip: If you do not need a sewer hook-up there are some beautiful wooded sites. Make a reservation early f...
Michigan
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very impressed with this campground. Clean, organized and well maintained although VERY busy. I have stayed here throughout the past 15 years probably 6-8 times. Always on the lake side and until this last trip in front of the beach. This year we opted for full hookup and a view of the bridge (very cool).
Only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is because the sites on this end of the park were kind of squished in but the trees between the sites did help.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wonderful, well laid out campground. We have stayed in the cabins twice, they are really nice. I do not have camping gear, so this is my way of camping with my son. Everyone is super friendly, and helpful.

Room Tip: If you camp, beautiful sites right on the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just wanna start out by saying thank you Frank for owning and running such a great campground! Ive been to a few around the state and nothing compares to yours. Me and my girlfriend made a last minute decision to come up this past june instead of staying close to home and camping. Usually when you wait till the last second you dont exactly get the best site or something goes wrong or isnt right but your staff was so nice so helpful they set us up with a site right on the water with a bridge view ive never been this far north or seen the bridge so thats exactly what i was looking for. Your staff from the day i arrived till the day i left was soo friendly and nice and helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. That really stood out to me that the very next day we booked our labor day weekend with you guys and again had a great time! It didnt matter how busy it was ur staff was exceptional and made sure we had what we needed and answered any questions we had. Besides ur great staff your campground is very clean and kept up well and you have one of if not the best views in the state of michigan, you have a fully stocked camp store that has really good coffee and i forgot to metion the arcade and free mini golf and pool you get when staying here.The last thing ill say is i hate reading these bad reviews yeah the shore might be rocky but if you walk out far enough you can swim in crystal clear water, if you cant Start a fire or whatever the case may be ask for help. Its camping and in my opinion there is no where better to camp then mackinaw mill creek campground! We will be making it a traditon to come back.2-3 times every summer I cant wait till next june! See you guys then

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank bdl1016
Hudsonville
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here for a week and had a great time. However, our lot was conveniently located near the campstore/bathrooms and showers. Not all lots are near these amenities b/c the campground is so large. The pool is OK, could be larger considering the size of the campground. The beach is nice, but the shoreline is very rocky, so you might want watershoes. The water is very clean and clear though. You have to buy your own firewood here, but be warned, the wood is green and doesn't burn well, so if you're anticipating having some big campfires you'll be disappointed. Plus our firepit was the size of a frying pan. Another downside is they must allow you to pull on your sire at anytime, so we had a trailer/diesel truck setting up next to us at 11pm, and then a motor home at 12 am, which wasn't so nice for our sleeping kids. They have FREE hayrides, firetruck rides and mini golf. The staff was all helpful and pleasant. Our kids had a great time, if we go again I'd make sure to request a lot near the bathrooms! My parents had a cabin w/ a bathrooom. It was clean and suited them just fine. Would be nice if it had some shelves near the sink to store food etc. instead of having to use he floor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thanks for staying with us! We have added 300 permanent fire rings and are adding more all the time. For some of our smaller (budget) sites we let campers use fire containers (we give them out Free or you can bring your own), so they can put their fire where it works best. Sorry you had a problem lighting your wood, our staff would have been happy to give you a hand. You must have been here Labor Day weekend? Sorry you were woken up. We do our best to keep night time noise down and have staff on call 24/7 to handle noise complaints. We rarely campers in late except for arrival nights of holiday weekends. We know people are driving a long ways those nights. We have the office open late and tell everyone to be as quiet as possible because everyone is sleeping. That was good advice to tell folks to bring water shoes as our 1 mile of natural beaches is quite rocky. There are sandy public Mackinaw beaches a couple miles away BTW! The lake Michigan side of the straits of Mackinac tends to have more sandy beaches than Lake Huron. Thanks again and hope to see you next summer!