“Great Camping Facility”

Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This is a wonderful campground. Campsites that accommodate tenters to big bus rv's. Tent sites are wooded and private. RV sites are varied sizes to allow any size rv. The place is ultra-clean (cigarette butts are picked up daily). Dogs are welcome. A lot of beach on Lake Huron to explore with an awesome view of the Mackinaw bridge, the Island and an occasional Great Lake freighter passing by. You can tell the owners are very proud of their facility by how well it is kept. My only complaint was that the bathrooms were few and located a good walk from the lake. Most streets are paved so dust in very minimal. They also offer very nice log cabins for rental. I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank chewbdu

Reviewed 9 September 2013

A couple weeks ago my family and I stayed at this campground for 3 nights. This campground is our annual vacation destination. The views are amazing and our dog loves being right by the water. A big con for me was their strange wi-fi rules. You get coupons, one for each day you stay. Each coupon (if I remember correctly) is good for 12 hours and you can only use one device at a time with the code. Also the internet does not support netflix. This is an issue for me since my parents go to bed very early and my go to way of relaxing on vacation is watching netflix. I think their wi-fi needs to be upgraded to keep up with the times. Also having one dumpster area for the whole camp ground is annoying. It's convenient for them but I wish it was a bit more convenient for us too. for Overall though it's a great place and I will go back again next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Megan B
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thanks for the nice review. I can clarify a few things for you. We have one central place for garbage, not for our convenience, but to keep wildlife from overrunning the park. We are surrounded by miles of wilderness and we have learned that any garbage anywhere in the park will bring skunks, raccoons and swarms of seagulls (who can be amazingly aggressive and destructive). We have tried many things over the past 50 years and have learned that locating one trash drop off at the busy entrance is the only way to keep our campground free of varmits.

To be honest, most of this summer we had problems with our WiFi system, which were were finally able to correct a couple weeks ago. Our wifi system cost nearly $50,000, and we just did a mid season refurbish and rebuilt of the entire system (even though much of it is only 1 year old). WiFi is offered FREE to our campers. The wifi coupons are good for 24 hours. We have to have a way of tracking each camper using Wifi, in case someone downloads copyrighted material. This has already happened several times. If we can't prove that we weren't responsible, we can be sued for copyright infringement. The coupon system allows us to do this. We have two (2) 50 MB/Sec wifi connections and one (1) 100 MB /sec internet connections spread throughout the park (very few parks have this much available bandwidth), but these large scale wifi systems were not designed to support everyone streaming video. I doubt you will have a satisfying experience streaming video at many campground or hotel as the bandwidth demands are too great. We have state of the art WiFi equipment in place, and will continue to upgrade as advances are made. Hope that helps! We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 7 September 2013

A nice campground, lot was long enough but not very wide, hardly room to put our awing out.. Close to town and easy to get to. Price was right, but since it was after Labor Day don't know what the prices usually are. Glad to have WIFI, but it was a pain to have to put in different coupon number for it every day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We had reservations at wilderness and changed mill creek. It was more convenient and has a great bike path to town. The site they booked for us was terrible so we complained and got one twice the price. I don't understand why they didn't offer a better site when the place was empty! The water and bridge views are awesome! We were surprised at no laundry so we had to ride 3 miles to get there . The store is well stocked. Bathrooms very clean and nice although only two main locations and the place is huge. Overall good stay but would try state park next time.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank marcia s
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Yes we have 21 different types of sites. It sounds like you were originally booked in one of our inexpensive sites. The staff lets everyone know that the inexpensive sites are small and closer to other campers - and that we have larger sites available. Those small sites are for campers with small rigs who are on a tight budget. I am sorry that you did not originally get the site you preferred, but you were able to easily switch sites and it sounds like you had a good experience here. I am not sure why you felt it necessary to mark us down? Was it because we had too many choices for you, or because you felt that you were inconvenienced by having to change sites? Wilderness is a great park and everyone should experience it at least once, but it is very far from town and local attractions, and you wouldn't want to ride a bike on their narrow road with trucks and RV's 12 miles into town. It sounds like you had a full hookup 30 amp site on the lake with a view of the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island- those also are not available anywhere else in Northern Michigan except for at Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I would have liked to have given this a nice rating--overall it was clean and organized. However we had a very, very unpleasant experience. I accidentally parked in the wrong place and I am in the wrong on that--I thought it was part of our spot but the spots are marked poorly so it was a mistake. They called me to move my vehicle and made me come back to move my car (I was on Mackinaw Island, for which I paid very dearly) and I had to be back by 5 (they called at 3 and it took all of the 2 hours to make it back to the ferry, wait and ferry back). We came back right away to move the car and missed out on our day in Mackinaw because "they couldn't rent that spot with my vehicle there". Well, low and behold, there was no one camped there or anywhere near us (at least 5 or more empty spots) that night or the next. Could they not have understood where I was (which I explained) and cut me a little slack? It was the worst place I've ever stayed for that reason. Make sure you understand where the lame markings are so you can park in the right spot or you may just waste hundreds of dollars on a trip to the Island that you can't finish because someone "might" come in and rent all the empty spots up! Biggest waste of money and time of my life. I have never been so disappointed in a business in all my life. I know it was my fault that I parked incorrectly but to have no understanding or compassion for my situation and then have it result with NO ONE camping anywhere near us with lots of empty spots everywhere, after I came all the way back--it was the worst experience of my life.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay if you ever make mistakes in life! No erasers used here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank AK2TXGirl
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We want all our guests to have a great time when they stay here and anything less makes us unhappy as well. I assume you must have been here Labor Day weekend? If so, I can explain why you had to move. On Labor Day weekend we have a minimum stay of several days. Some people can't make it for all the days, but they want to experience the bridgewalk and camp with us so they book sites that may not be occupied for all the days. Regardless of that, we are required to keep a site that has been paid for in advance - open. We don't know when the guests will arrive, but it our responsibility to keep their site open. We don't promise specific sites for reservations, however, many of our Labor Day campers have been coming for 10, 20, 30 years and camp in groups and in the same sites each year, so we always try to accommodate those return guests. It can be impossible on a weekend where the camp is full to move people to different sites (especially if we are committed to keeping a group together). You can see other reviews on here where we were unsuccessful at keeping an entire group booking together (it happens occasionally). Any other time but Labor Day or July 4th weekend, we usually have lots of flexibility for making changes. For Labor Day weekend, the campground's cabins and sites are booked months (many one year) in advance and it is very important that everyone go to the site they have been registered for. I know that it must have been maddening to see empty sites around you, but believe me, if the staff could have moved sites to accommodate you, they would have. I know those Mackinac Ferry tickets are expensive, so if you ever decide to give us another chance, please let the staff know in advance that Frank has promised to get you Mackinac Island passes for your family. I hope you otherwise enjoyed your precious vacation time - we all have so little!!!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had a fabulous time at this campground, both young and old.Our site was steps away from the beautiful lake with the bridge all lit up at night. We had a campfire down by the waters edge and watched the fireworks across the lake. The pool was nice and warm and not over crowded considering it was a holiday weekend! The staff was great and very friendly. We will definitely recommend this campground to all of our friends. We will be back next year for sure!!!

Room Tip: If you do not need a sewer hook-up there are some beautiful wooded sites. Make a reservation early f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very impressed with this campground. Clean, organized and well maintained although VERY busy. I have stayed here throughout the past 15 years probably 6-8 times. Always on the lake side and until this last trip in front of the beach. This year we opted for full hookup and a view of the bridge (very cool).
Only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is because the sites on this end of the park were kind of squished in but the trees between the sites did help.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends