“First stay at Days Inn”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Harper Woods,MI
“First stay at Days Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were in Alpena so decided to make a quick trip to Mackinac City for two days - Wed-Friday. Front Desk was nice. Was somewhat apprehensive due to poor reviews. Hotel could stand some refreshing to rooms. Some wallpaper was coming off the wall, a cable wire was sticking out of the wall next to sliding door and probably why there was a chair there to hide it--needed the chair to sit on to watch TV- no comfy chair to sit on. Bathroom tub was clean but evidence of age- no bath rail which is now almost a must for all hotels- strips on BR tub for non-slipping- not health-wise clean???-it was coming up- has a small frig- on floor-otherwise clean sheets and carpeting was OK-I should have asked for a first floor as hubby has a bad knee/hip and had a problem with climbing 20 stairs to second floor. It would be VERY helpful with a note in room as to where the ice machines are-had to walk down to first floor for that-Breakfast room OK- nice selection. Just a note- it is NOT in the hotel- it is a separate area/building in the middle- so be prepared to walk downstairs again-EEEK. Oh yes, the website is WRONG about coffee in the lobby 24 hours-NOPE. Only in-room coffee. That is one reason I booked here, - Would we stay here again? IF we had a first floor- riverview. However in looking into other rooms-there are MANY- while cleaning was going on, my answer would probably be a thumbs down as those seen did not appeal to me. I guess I am somewhat a neat freak, but not critical. I see it as I see it and I can take some downers, but above ALL, things MUST be clean. Bed check, floors, BR- dirty phones, etc. as I will not stay at a hotel that is not clean. The price was right and surprised-BUT I would not pay the going rate for our room for the weekend--almost double--sorry. Money also is a factor for the buck. So, I guess-----check out the room FIRST b/4 you sign for the keys. Better safe than sorry.

1 Thank happygrandmag

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked this hotel because we have stayed at Days Inn in the past, and have always been impressed with the value compared to price. This Days Inn does NOT live up to the standards of any other we've stayed in. The carpet in our room was soaking wet, and the four different people management sent up to fix it could do nothing for us. Despite the "Vacancy" sign illuminated, the front desk claimed there were no other rooms they could move us to.
The only positive thing I can say is the breakfast was decent.
We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen M

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Albion, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This place is a DUMP! We stayed here on July 20, 2014. The room was run down. We found hair in the bed sheets and balls of hair on the floor. The bedspread had stains on it. The inside of the AC blower area looked like a dirty ashtray. The tub would only drain if you held the drain lever down while taking a shower. We got a roll away bed that smelled like dog urine. The room had an old musty smell. The clock was busted and didn't work. The toilet paper holder was broken and laying on the back of the toilet. The carpet was dirty and made your bare feet black. I can't believe Days Inn would want their name on this hotel. This is a $25.00/night room at best! the furniture is original 70s decor The only upside was the pool, but there was no pool towels available in there.

Room Tip: Stay Somewhere Else
4 Thank Robby D
Kettering, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The room was worn.

The beds good, the air conditioner unbelievably loud (like an idleing semi).

The loud bath noise from other rooms speaks cheap construction.

The pile of trash, old mattreses and other stuff in an empty old lobby needs to be cleaned up.

The breakfast room was out of coffee within 2 minutes of being served, the line was long for coffee - repeatedly and constantly.

The front desk people friendly, but not from the US or well informed about the area. The housekeepers went through the trash looking for cans and bottles to return for deposit, and after work you could see them crossing the street to their hotel lugging trash bags of returnables over their shoulders looking like they were homeless.

And then there were the midgies. Millions of them. Glad I didn't pay the extra for a lakeview room as no-one used them due to the bugs. Doorway covered in dead bugs, windows filthy. Car coated in them every time I parked.

My room was on the north side, and after 6 p.m., I had great lakeview and sunset views across the parking lot for Arnold's if it was raining and the bugs weren't flying.

Finally, they didn't post my Wyndham Rewards until I griped to Wyndham. Just not up to standards, not even for a Days Inn.

I love the area, but I will stay closer to the bridge, or in St. Ignace, or further south along 23, even if I have to pay more. It would be worth it. The other Days Inn is much better, except for the parking.

This place needs major renovation and a change in employees.

Room Tip: Check out hotels near the lighthouse park for less traffic and better rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank SenseIntoDollars
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Was very disappointed with the quality of the room. Not up to the standards of most Days Inn motels. Wallpaper old and curling at seams. Needed to unplug a lamp to plug in the TV. A large gap in the door frame needs weather stripping. Glad it was warm out so we didn't get cold. Inside of door is very dirty and the TV credenza was scratched and worn. Next time in Mackinaw City we won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karen K
Liberty Township, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Many nice hotels in the area just dont stay at this one. The beds were fairly new and comfortable, other than that it was terrible. Desk clerk was very rude and snippy, i'm sure from being used to dealing with dissatisfaction. Had two rooms which were similar. Bedding was old, sheets were torn, blankets had small holes in them, room was tiny, bathrooms were tiny, ac had to be plugged in cause it would not shut off otherwise. Had to crawl between a crack in the bed and the wall to accomplish this. The doors fit poorly. Breakfast was terrible. I tried to cancel immediately upon arrival but could not. I understand this is their policy so my fault but the attitude of those i dealt with added insult to the injury. Besides this hotel we had a great trip..

2 Thank KNOBILING
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Easy to get to, but very disapointing compared to the rest of the hotels on the strip that were of equal value.

There lobby smelt like an ash tray...

Okay location. Close to ferry and tourist shops.

There was food in the mini fridge when we there. It smelt so bad. I almost puked.

I couldnt understand the lady behind the counter. She was from some foreign country. Pretty broken enlish...

The other hotels were about the same price. And so much better.

We swiched hotels to the Hamilton, it is way better. But not before we took all the complementary soaps from the Days Inn.

There is certainly much better hotels around for about the same price...

• Stayed July 2014