“Buyer Beware!!!”

Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Plymouth, Michigan
“Buyer Beware!!!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is a sleazy place. I made a reservation by phone, provided credit card information, and once the confirmation number was provided, I was told my reservation was past the cancellation date and could not be canceled for any reason. Upon learning this, I asked to put the room on hold until I could confirm my visit within the next 12 hours. To my complete surprise, I was informed that it was too late! How could it be too late, I had not even hung up the phone?

I cannot get a manager to return my call. I have informed my credit card company to dispute the charge. I would never stay at this hotel based on this craziness. All I can say is BEWARE!

Room Tip: BEWARE. There are lots of choices in Mackinac city, choose something else.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LittleHenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Hamilton inn select looked like a nice place so agreed to the price increase. The heater was so loud that could not use it, and it was cold last night. The bed was hard. Breakfast does not open until 7a. It looked like the bathroom had black mold that was painted over.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Montrose, Michigan
Reviewed 11 October 2013

"Our stay was great! The hotel was easy to find, clean and the staff was very friendly. The free breakfast had a good variety of choices and tasted good too. The convenience of the Star Line ferry was awesome! The "private" section of beach was also very nice. Enjoyed the view from the balcony room - so worth the extra money."

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy to the sunsets and/or rises over the lake the extra money for the balcony is to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katherine D
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend in Mackinaw City with our children and stayed at the Hamilton Inn Select. I travel a lot and am very picky about choosing a hotel especially when I bring my young children. I was very impressed with this hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. It is very clean and our room you could tell was brand new. I was very impressed when I opened the door. The staff was amazing. We arrived early and the rooms were not ready but the lady at the front desk called a housekeeper and within minutes we were able to go to our room. The breakfast had something for everyone. I was not expecting to see a full hot breakfast when breakfast is free. There was eggs, sausage, waffles, bagels, toast, muffins...ect. The overall experience could not have been better. The hotel also has two waterparks you can use for free that we were not even aware of until we got there and they gave us the passes. We just got home and our children are already begging us to bring them back.

Room Tip: Ask for lakefront, it's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Just stayed at this hotel, all I can say is WOW. Beautiful rooms, super fancy!! Room was very clean, I was very impressed with how clean and nice everything was.The food was great(and free), service was above and beyound!! I will be back!!

Oakwood, Ohio
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I booked a room at this hotel, then later read the reviews on this site. They scared me to death -- to the point of almost rethinking my reservations. But in the end we decided to stayed there anyway, and I am SO glad we did. The place was great! The room was clean, everyone was friendly, and the lake view from our balcony room was just awesome! I honestly can't understand the reason for some of these bad reviews. I understand that sometimes unfortunate things happen, but on the whole these reviews are very misleading, especially when they almost talked me out of staying here. I suppose if you're one that enjoys searching for something to complain about, is overly critical, or needs constant pampering, than you probably won't be happy here (or anywhere else, for that matter). But if you're just looking for a nice place, can tolerate a cobweb on the balcony or having to descend a single step to get to the beach, than you have nothing to worry about. You'll be glad you stayed here, just as I was.

Room Tip: I highly recommend a room with a balcony view of the lake. The sound of the waves crashing is so pe...
1 Thank Vicki H
Saint Johns, Michigan
Reviewed 3 October 2013

When pulling back the bed sheet after checking in Friday Night late, Found a large urine circle in the bed which my mother stuck her foot in and I put my hands in, when pulling back the covers you could smell that it was urine and the sheets were not clean before getting the room to us. They did come and change the bedding and put new sheets on. But when ask to speak to Manager NO manager ever called . Had to wait to talk to a Corporate Number on Monday they said they would call me back on Wednesday. I ask to have our Friday night COMP since our Room was not ready and cleaned when we got there. The owner Joseph [--] told corporate office lady Minny that they didn't feel a credit or comp of Friday was necessary since they changed sheets. I also used pool and hot tub and workout room and went to urgent care to find out I have ringworm. DO NOT STAY HERE THERE IS NO MANAGER THERE AND YOU WILL NOT GET GOOD SERVICE.

Room Tip: Did not get a good room not sure if there is one or not
4 Thank lindawW4039DC