“Warm Welcome and View” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
florida
“Warm Welcome and View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

On cold day in May received the warmest of welcomes from the desk staff. The hotel was fully booked due to a Girl Scout gathering but must say the scouts were very well behaved during the complimentary breakfast and also in the hotel. You didn't even realize they were there. Due to the fact that the hotel was fully booked we were upgraded for a nominal fee (10.00) for a suite as all the Queen rooms would not be available til later. Let me tell you what a great investment that was. Separate bedrooms. Television and Jacuzzi in bathroom, plus TV's in both bedrooms. And, a marvelous beach view and access right outside our sliding glass doors. It was our daughter-in-Laws 50th birthday celebration and quite a celebration for us too. P.S. we both had suites and were equally pleased. The breakfast was plentiful, considering the amount of people, and a good selection of food. Will go there again when in Mackinaw City.

Room Tip: Choose a suite it's worth it.
3 Thank anetcast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Mason, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Check-in seemed to take longer than it should have, especially after being on the snowmobile trails for 8 hours. But rooms were clean, hall ways were relatively quiet at night, and the pool and hot tub were a big plus after a day of riding. Breakfast was better than most with many different selections. I would likely stay here again, and would definitely get a room facing the water for the views.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bryan D
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Every year we go to Mackinac Island for our anniversary and our starting point before going to the island is staying one or two nights at the Hamilton Inn Select because of its location to the ferry boat dock which is next to the hotel and just a short walk to the downtown area.....the rooms are very quiet and look totally redone again......they have a very nice breakfast buffet that sometimes can hold you til dinner......we've stayed here 16 times in the last 17 years so it's our favorite hotel in Mackinaw City and the staff always makes it a great stay by being so friendly during check in and whenever they see you walking around.......have not thought about staying anywhere else...........

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Richard S
Westland, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I got off to a late start on our honeymoon, so knowing that we would be delayed in checking in at the Hamilton Inn, I called on Monday evening to let them know we needed to cancel Thursday night, but we'd check in on Friday. After spelling my name a half dozen times, the staff person finally found my reservation, then informed me that my wife and I would be charged for the room because we were within 72 hours of the reservation. When I asked if I'd be able to walk into the room first thing Friday morning, the staff person, who clearly needs further English instruction, passed me over to a male staff person who spoke English.

We continued to debate the room charge, and we were threatened by the man on the phone that he would charge us for the full stay right then and there if we didn't quiet down. In the end, the hotel ran the authorization for Thursday, but it was dropped by my bank. The rudeness of the staff lingers on, however, as we are repeat customers.

Besides being poorly treated on the phone, the hotel wifi is a joke, and the breakfast is terrible. The hotel has geography going for it. It's next door to Star Line Ferry, and it sits on the beach. Also, it appears that most rooms have been renovated, which was a nice surprise.

I've read a lot of reviews on this hotel, and I'll say that customer service does seem to be inconsistent.

Room Tip: Lakeside is the best, but the beach is virtually non-existent.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank nardecaj

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I am from florida and a yearly participant in the bike ride in may. I have been staying at the hamilton inn select for the past 6 years. Hamilton inn is a very nice hotel and the staff even call me by name and welcome me as i walked in. I was pleased to see the handicap lift in the pool area. This hotel is great.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Michelle m
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Good quality hotel right on the water. Very good breakfast bar. Looks like some renovation is going on. Front desk clerk very helpful especially with his recommendation of the Lighthouse restaurant which I will review separately. I would return.

1 Thank tangojohnDallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The rating is strictly for our experience in so far as: Our room was immaculate and spacious, and the front desk was friendly and coherent this year. They even went so far as to upgrade us to a lakeview at the courtyard rate when I mentioned I wasnt interested in paying extra for a view of Michigan's largest skating rink. So 4 stars for service and cleanliness, our two day stay was enjoyable & uneventful.

What I do find odd is how you can call other hotels in the area, speak with people who answer the phone representing said hotel, then arrive only to find those hotels completely shutdown and deserted, with notices on the door telling you to come here. When my wife and I checked in, another guest was positively livid at the desk because she had made and paid for resrrvations at a different hotel, only to find it was actually still closed with a notice telling her to come here.

Seems odd to me, is all I can really say about it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple