“Worst hotel service ever!”

Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed 11 March 2014

After calling just an hour before our arrival for a room, our 3 year old daughter began vomiting at a local restaurant. We went inside and attempted to cancel the room for obvious reasons. They refused and told us if we stayed and our daughter got sick in the room they would charge us an addition $150 cleaning fee. We went home and they still charged us or the unused room. When we called and talked to the manager and general manager they accused us of lying and trying to scam them. We were appalled! With all the other hotels in Mackinaw city to choose from, never stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I just want to say...I did not read reviews before we set out for our waterpark adventure.

We arrived and had zero issues checking in. They were very nice at the front desk. Though even after they gave me directions we had a hard time figuring out WHERE to enter to find our room. It was a very strange location to have an entrance. The elevators are toward the back of the first building. Weird. We made it to our room and we were pleasantly surprised by the king/queen beds and the sofa sleeper, the two tv's were awesome as I have a 6 yr old girl and a 14 yr old boy who watch entirely different programs. The first thing I noticed was a crumbled up peanut m&m on the floor in the first room. Otherwise it was pretty clean. I reported the candy and they apologized. I said not an issue, everything else was clean. I really liked the mini-kitchenette space. It worked perfect for our use. The fridge was very clean, as was the sink and microwave. The closet was strange as the hangers dont fit well and you need to have them pushed all the way to the left for the doors to close..that was awkward with winter coats etc hanging in there. We ordered Pizza from the only pizza place open in town in early March. It was okay, but the toppings seemed sparse. Next time we will probably go into Cheboygan to eat. The roads were very slick when we got there this time around. The beds were very comfortable, the heater/ac unit was quiet and kept the room at a comfortable temp. We had a nice view of the bridge in the distance. Our Balcony was big, but due to it being winter it was not used by us. The tv's were very nice, big flat screens with new and improved cable channels they just installed.

Now onto the waterpark....oh boy..this is why we came....Sadly the water in the playstructure was so COLD that my 6 yr old (who swims in Lake Michigan from May until Oct) complained that it was FREEZING!! We were told that the heaters (from Germany) are cranked as high as they allow and it still does not do the job in the frigid temps of Northern Michigan. Bummer. We were so disappointed by this. The pool was cool as well, but that was just emptied and cleaned and refilled days prior and I understand that can take some time to come to temp. It was probably around 73 degrees or there abouts. It was not warm like my home resort pool (84 degrees) The hottub...now that was PERFECT!! Huge, warm, clean. It was lovely and we spent a lot of time in that. I noticed that they had one guy in the room folding towels and making sure the water pumps didnt not malfunction. He did not check wrist bands from what he told me. Just maintained the mechanical parts. Kids were diving into the shallow pool, no parents watching them. It was pure bedlam a few times with running, screaming, etc. we had plans to use the facility the next day, but due to the water being so cold we backed out. Thank goodness we did not pay summer rates! This is a GREAT place for kids under 8yrs (if water is warm) It is not for teens or adults-they would have to stick to the pool and hot tub. Lastly, the pool area was very clean. We were told they just cleaned it recently. The Sauna was an added bonus.

On to Breakfast...The breakfast room SMELLS horridly like mold and mildew. They have dehumidifiers everywhere, humdity is an HUGE issue. The food was fine. Sausage was very plain, no spice to it what so ever. There were three waffle makers, all worked, and you had a choice of blueberry or plain waffles. Nice. The orange juice tasted very watered down. They had scrambled eggs, sausage, gravy, toast, bagels, cereal, milk, coffee, doughnuts, canned tropical fruit, oatmeal and I think that was about it. No fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt or muffins. We did leave full though. The halls and such were clean while we were there. The desk was helpful. We did have a maint. issue and after the desk tracked down the maint. man for a plunger he was prompt in getting that taken care of and in the meantime he also fixed a broken door knob. He was very polite and informative.

So to sum up our experience..
1.) Check in/out was fine
2.) Hskp (sorry...Housekeeping) - needs work--better detail-
3) Waterpark -WAY TO COLD TO USE- Pool was cool, but we swam.
4.) Hot tub--PERFECT!
5.) Room was perfectly sized for our family of four
6.) They need to figure out how to take care of mildew issue and smell. That is a
huge turn-off for many, and is dangerous for those with asthma.
7) Fresh Fruit and yogurt would be nice addition to breakfast buffet. Banana's are cheap and filling.

Would we go back? Yes, but off season and not for the waterpark :( unless they figure out how to heat it to 80 degrees or so. Low 70's (which I doubt it was) is WAY TO CHILLY for the little kids.

Room Tip: I would pick a 3rd floor room so you are closer to the breakfast area and the entrance to the waterp...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stay at this hotel 3 times a year. This time I made reservations on line and when I got there the manager at the time sold my room to someone eles and then tried to change me $132.00 for my room that I got online for $89.00. Our roomwas not cleaned and the manager at the time was the biggest ******* I have ever me!! Later that night I spoke to thee manager Ben and he was wonderful he tried to make the best out the rest of our stay. Ben u r a great manager!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed two nights in February, our room wasnt too bad our couch had large tears in each of 3 cushions and stain marks on them. Room service was awful, i had to take out my garbage at 330 because no one come to our room. when they did come around 415 while we went out she gave us new towels and nothing else. we had to go get more coffee packs and cups she didnt vacuum our room. They also advertise a 25 foot free continental breakfast with waffles. There waffle machine was broke along with the juice machine and the jug of milk they had on the bar was expired by one day. The second day went for breakfast and there was nothing there so we had to leave the hotel and buy our breakfast. We did enjoy the pool and water park kids had a blast while we enjoyed the hot tub.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed there in late September during the trip to Mackinaw City.Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed by the front desk clerk Michelle.She was personable,friendly and accommodating. Room was clean,spacious and up to date.Comfortable bed,beautiful furniture.This hotel has a pool and a hot tub.Hot tub is very large.Temperature was hot.Very relaxing.Breakfast was included with the stay.Eggs,sausages,cereal,etc...the breakfast host was nice and efficient.We are planning to stay there again when visiting Mackinaw City.

Room Tip: We stayed on thw first floor.Did not experience any noise issues.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The room was nice and the price was reasonable. The water park was cold but the pool and hot tub were nice. The continental breakfast was fair. My son liked the arcade room. We wanted to get away for the weekend with our son and go someplace nice mid winter. It was a decent stay we will go again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Our first trip to Mackinaw City was cold, rainy and buggy. I asked for a room with a view of the water, first floor. We were put on the third floor, which was OK, due to the large amt of students that arrived there on the second day we were there. We were glad to be higher up. It was very quiet actually with them around us. The hotel does need a little tender care. The bed was good, room was plenty large . Frig was rather cold on some of our things in there. Breakfast was average, variety was the same every day, could have been hotter. staff at the desk was not the friendliest and rather slow at gettin us checked in. I had to hunt to find the ice machine! Coolest thing was there was a bat hanging in the stairway, that we had to use since we had NO elevator on the North end, three, flights and luggage got our workout!!! Unfortunately, the weather did not make it that pleasant and the BUGS were awful, which we were told is an annual event!! Yuck!

Room Tip: Get close to the elevator. We were close to a boat ride to the Island, but farther back towards tow...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family