“Would stay a week! Best views....most peaceful”

and 1 more site!
Clearwater Lakeshore Motel
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here in mid July. Amy at the front desk was very friendly and so very helpful. We arrived late and sad we hadn't gotten there earlier but were blown away by the sights from the back of our hotel. Room was quaint. An area for my young daughter to sleep and have her privacy. And we had a king size bed and plenty of privacy. We had a fridge and microwave. Plenty of electrical outlets. However, Was disappointed in the small trash cans. Pool was clean. Property was clean. Lots to do outside. Just sit, lay in the sun, swing, corn hole games, walk on sand, watch sea gulls....pure heaven! Night views are amazing and fires in pits on the beach every night to meet your neighbors. Breakfast was perfect! Lots of options. Linda was so very friendly! Pool and hot tub were clean. Lots of clean towels in the pool area. They provide soap and shampoo. Lots of privacy. You can't help but let your guard down and feel safe and homey. It's a short trip to town - walk, run or ride. They even have discounted tickets for the ferry over to Mackinac Island. The only downfall was on our last night, the well went out. We had been swimming and running around all day and couldn't take showers. We made due. They opened the well so we could get water with buckets and we bought water bottles. The owners took care of us and I was pleasantly surprised on how everyone else staying said it was just like camping and we didn't hear A lot of complaining. Next time, we would love to come back and stay longer. Definitely a class act hotel. Why stay with a chain hotel in this beautiful area when you can be treated so very well off the beaten path.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Coffeegal17
Gary_McGaughey, Owner at Clearwater Lakeshore Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thanks for the nice review Coffeegal! When the well went out due to the failure of the pump control panel and the conclusion that a replacement could not be obtained until the morning, I called another larger independent hotel in Mackinaw City and cut a deal for 20 rooms for my guests. Part of the implied agreement when you rent a motel room is that you will have all the running water you care to use; clearly I was failing to hold up my end of the bargain so I refunded everyone’s money for the evening. I then told everyone that I had worked out a deal at another hotel; only 3 people checked out. Everyone else who stayed, including you, were so gracious and understanding that my daughter Amy was almost in tears. I should add that we were sold out that night; 37 of 40 rooms stayed even though there was no water. Of course it helped that most of them have lived on well water all of their lives, but still it turned into an amazing experience for us as it seemed to me that on that evening the Clearwater was full of people who treated everyone else the way they would like to be treated. Definitely a class act by all of our guests. Amy and I will never forget it.
Addendum: I now have a spare pump controller on site and can swap it out in 20 minutes myself.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Spent a week here in June. Great view, CLEAN rooms, best motel staff we have ever encountered. The "lunch lady", Linda, started our day off each morning in a great mood. Very friendly and helpful. Fire pits are a nice touch, beautiful pool. Only problem was the beds were too comfy- didn't want to get up! Gary very knowledgeable about what to do and see. Highly recommend this motel.

Room Tip: Try to book lake side. View of bridge is fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna S

Donna, thank you for such a glowing review! We have a terrific staff and wonderful guests, a winning combination. We would love to see you again!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my 4th time staying at this hotel (first time (and definitely not the last!) under the new ownership (awesome people!), and it has never been better! As the title of my review states, "there's no place I'd rather stay" when I go to Mackinaw! The people are extremely friendly, and the view!... oh my goodness, it doesn't get much better (without having to pay a ton of extra $$$!!!)! Didn't get to enjoy a campfire at night this time , but next time I will (and the wood is provided!)! The pool & hot tub are amazing, and was SO relaxing! I recommend this hotel to everybody I know that says they're going to Mackinaw!...

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Eli L

Eli, we love the fact that you’re a frequent guest and I would personally like to thank you for being one of our biggest supporters on Facebook! Thanks for the great review, maybe we’ll see you a couple of times next year!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here over July 4-7. First the positives - Great price! Great location! Very friendly staff! The view is amazing (spectacular sunsets). The seagulls are fun to watch. Breakfast was average. I highly recommend BC Pizza for dinner. It was one of the best pizza's I have ever had and they deliver right to your room!. Now for some ideas to improve: I love fireworks, but people were still setting them off at 2:30am, very near my room. I know it was July 4, but 2:30am is a little excessive. Perhaps create a fireworks rule/regulation for the property? The other thing was the BBQ smoke. BBQs are provided, which is a great amenity. I suggest moving the BBQs much farther away from the building and balconys. I had showered and wanted to sit out on the deck (I was on the second floor). There was so much smoke from the BBQ right below me that I felt nauseous. I had to go inside, close my balcony door, but by that time, the entire room smelled like smoke, along with my hair and clothes. Coupled with the fire pits later that night and the cigarette smoking right below me, it was pretty unbearable. I mentioned the BBQ smoke to the staff. They were nice about it and I didn't push for a resolution. I hoped it was a July 4 thing, and that's what it turned out to be. These were not issues on any other night. I would highly recommend this property to solo travelers, couples, and families. I would defintely consider staying here again if I ever get up that way.

Room Tip: Choose a lakefront room, on the top floor. I was in 108 and it was great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Elizabeth C

Elizabeth: We have moved the BBQs closer to the water as I agree that they should be as far from the buildings as practical. I was down on the lakefront most of the night on the 4th, the people setting off fireworks were at the motel next door and therefore out of my jurisdiction. In coming years we are going to ask our 4th of July guests to refrain from discharging fireworks on our lakefront for the safety of all of our guests. Thanks for the review, we hope to see you next year on the 4th!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The staff was very courteous, and helpful. The room was spacious, comfortable, clean, and the view of the Bridge is awesome!! Beach is nice, but not good for swimming. Hotel is located very conveniently, and has a shuttle service to/from the ferries to Mackinaw Island. Yes, keep screen doors shut after dark, mosquitos, etc. all want to come in!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dee, thanks for staying with us and leaving a nice review! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights as a quick getaway up to Mackinaw. We loved it! The room was comfortable and the fridge was very convenient. We felt comfortable and at home. The view is beautiful and relaxing. We spent time reading by the lake. The hot tub was amazing after a long day biking on the island. The location is great! It's not at all far away from everything but it felt like we were getting away from it all. Relaxing, comfortable, clean, and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Gary_McGaughey, Owner at Clearwater Lakeshore Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thanks Dianna! I like the title of your review so much I’m thinking about putting it on my Zip sign out front! If you enjoyed your stay then we’ve done our job. We’re going to make a big effort during the off-season to make our lakefront grounds even more comfortable for our guests. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This motel next to the lake is almost perfect. The room is pretty big, they have a good breakfast, and they have friendly service. Oh, and a good view outside. The only 2 negatives is the water in the shower is weak, and the beds are on the hard side.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for the nice review BB! Due to several comments like yours about the water pressure, I have replaced all of the showerheads with low-flow models designed to work well with lower water pressure. Huge improvement. We hope to see you during your next visit to Mackinaw City!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinaw City
Hamilton Inn Select Beachfront
Hamilton Inn Select Beachfront
#20 of 40 in Mackinaw City
Best Western Harbour Pointe Lakefront

Been to Clearwater Lakeshore Motel? Share your experiences!