“2500 miles to a Disappointment”
Review of The Beach House

The Beach House
Walnut Grove, Arizona, USA
“2500 miles to a Disappointment”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Should have expected bad things in Feb when I called for reservations. The owner seemed grumpy then and got worse. We arrived on a Monday and weren't happy that we weren't getting a beach front cottage that we had discussed. She went as far as to tell us to get out if we didn't like it and that she didn't need our business We had no other accommodations so we checked in to a cottage with a view of other cottages and major road noise. We had just completed a 2500 mile trip from AZ and were treated like this. Tuesday morning we found a room at the Driftwood in St. Ignace, MI and made reservations for the Wednesday and Thursday nights. We didn't get back from our days activities until almost 10:00 PM Tuesday and being considerate I waited till the next morning to inform the owner of our leaving. The owner then informed me that she would be charging me for that night which meant that she wanted me to pay for a night that we weren't staying due to dissatisfaction with the place. The bank took care of that issue. The cottages are dilapidated and should probably be condemned for outdated electric wiring. We were told not to try to heat anything in the microwave while using any other appliance. They advertise a Kitchenette but provide nothing to cook with. When I complained about the pillows I was told they were brand new even though they were maybe an inch thick. of the 2 chairs provided for sitting one was torn and both were rickety. I can confirm that the beds are very uncomfortable as other reviews have stated. If TripAdvisor would allow it I would give this place a zero.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Kurt L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My family and I stayed at this location last month and were extremely disappointed. Very rude staff. Hard beds, very flat pillows. You will not get a good nights sleep.
Wall paper is peeling, paint is chipping and the bathrooms are disgusting!
The location is amazing. Great view of the bridge from the beach. The sand is muddy, which they obviously have to control over, but it is disappointing when you have a 3 year old that wants to play in the sand.
All in all, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank MrSmithsWife
Churchville
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We spent one night in a beachfront cottage and were satisfied with our stay.We got a great rate through AAA, so it was very affordable. Yes, as other reviews have stated the cottages are outdated and could use an upgrade ...BUT the view is great, the beach is nice and the cottages were clean. We liked the charm of the place and found it a nice change from the chain hotels. It was like a step back in time. The owners were super nice and very helpful with any questions we had. We enjoyed sitting on the beach and viewing the super moon. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RoadtripperColl
Maple Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2013

we like the room at first but we booked a room for a king size bed the took my money up front before we had a look at the room,walked in it was two what called queen size beds which we did not need for the two of us.the beds were both up the wall not good for us so we move the one bed out from away from the wall so we did not have to climb over each other to get out bed.the road noise was horrible couldn't sleep the first night at all,beds were hard,pillows were a joke so bring your own,no shampoo,or kleenix,no fan or window in the bathroom,grounds were well kept thanks to fred,beach well kept but smelly cleaning staff was great and friendly the frig was way to small,had to request a microwave rooms were clean heating and cooling was good,pool was nice and the whirl pool was nice also but there was not a place to change and no rest rooms which i thought was weird you had to walk back to cabin wet and i just wonder how many people walk all the back to the cabin to go to the bathroom?the thing why we will never stay there again
is when we and my adult kids we having a cookout the owner lady maxine walks over to our table stared at our table and asked are you having a cookout and then asked my kids where are you staying which i don't think was any of her bussiness how rude can you get? and the walked her two dogs right in front of us when we are eating pretty strange i think so i advise to look around plenty of places around to stay

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Marshall, Michigan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We just returned from a wonderful (although chilly) weekend at The Beach House. It was perfect for our family of four. We rented a beachfront cottage with two queen beds a kitchenette, and it was so clean!! The beach is gorgeous and we used the pool and hot tub, too. (I would recommend bringing your own beach towels as no extra towels were provided.) It reminds me of vacationing with my parents when I was young, and now I was able to do the same with my own family. The cottage was warm, cozy, clean and very kitchy/vintage-y...and we loved it!! The view can't be beat. Even though it was overcast when we left, my husband said he would have liked to have stayed if just to sit on the couch and look out the window at the lake. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Absolutely great location. The rail to trail is across the street. We took our bikes to downtown, mackinaw bridge area and to the historic mill creek. From the beach front of the 'beach house', you can see the bridge, mackinaw island (the grand hotel, also) and the ferry boats go by. There is a nightly Bon fire. This is a 'charming cabin.' You need to know this is NOT a hotel. Bring your own toiletries including shampoo. Bring your own towels- the provided towels are small and rough. The shower was awkward push in to make it work - it hurt my hand and had my husband make it work. There is no blow dryer either. The pool and hot tub are nice- but NO pool towels. They do allow dogs- this was great- an additional $20 for the weekend. If you need a great location and on a budget and have a dog- this is your place. If you need modern conveniences and looks, skip it.

• Stayed May 2013
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2012

What a hidden jewel! Small cottages, right up against the Lake. Great views of the bridge and island. Priced just right, too. Owners were great - took the time to show us their property, which was beautiful with flowers and uber-clean. We booked a small cottage with a view out the front door of the lake. Couldn't have asked for more. They even had a bonfire on the beach for us.

Room Tip: Grab a cottage that suits the # of people in your party - they come in all sizes.