“Awesome parking lot stay”

Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. No issue like the other reviews. The Wi-Fi signal was very weak (room 209) so we had to use our “HOT SPOT”. It was basically just a place to sleep and to move on. Never looked at the pool or used the free breakfast, I prefer a real breakfast, eggs, bacon, etc. There was a Corvette show going on and that’s way the parking lot was awesome.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi get a room close to the hot spot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Zachary C, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you'll choose us again. I apologize that the WiFi wasn't working properly and I do assure you it is something that we are working on.

There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here a few weeks ago while I was in Michigan for my mother's funeral and needed some "me" time after a lot of hectic days with relatives. Initially I reserved a regular room but when I arrived I decided I'd rather have a jacuzzi room. The manager, Zachary, was very gracious and as a Best Value Club member he offered me the upgrade without any major bump in cost (this is a Best Value policy for club members who ask for an upgrade, I did not realize it at the time). The room was absolutely WONDERFUL! Clean, fresh, and quite relaxing. I found none of the things other reviewers claim they found. In fact, quite the opposite! Everything worked well - I found no stains, no smells, no ANYTHING out of the ordinary. The in-room jacuzzi was out of this world, and quite relaxing. I think I spent more time in the jacuzzi than anywhere else :) I could tell Zachary was genuinely concerned about my comfort and he went out of his way to make sure I had a pleasant stay. His ability to train new desk personnel was impressive, and I found his staff to be just as pleasant, smiley, and cheerful as he was. The area was quiet, the grounds were pleasant and well-kept, and I saw no sign that would indicate neglect. In the morning when I checked out, the housekeeper saw that I was ready to leave and politely did other rooms to give me time to clear out, whereas at other places I've stayed (a ton of them) housekeepers bang on the door and literally push visitors out prior to checkout time. At the checkout desk there again was Zachary at work with his pleasant team, and checkout went smoothly. All in all, this is a very pleasant place to stay and I highly recommend it. Zachary is to be commended for his excellent management style and his professional friendly personality - he's a real natural when it comes to running a quality America's Best Value Inn! Zachary, thanks again for such a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Reserve a jacuzzi room, they're FANTASTIC!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you will choose us again. If there is anything at all I can do for you to make your next stay with us even better then the last don't hesitate to let me know. Please feel free to contact me anytime with any questions you might have or if you want me to book your next reservation personally.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

There is way too much to say. I will sum it up by saying read the reviews on here. They are accurate. Deidra at the front desk was rather rude to us. The general manager has some big problems on his hands. I wish I would have checked out reviews prior to booking room.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Travelinklan

Thanks for the review. I apologize for your stay and would like to discuss the matter with you personally if you could please contact me at 231-436-5544. I do hope that you'll contact me and hopefully consider giving my hotel another try.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This is an older hotel that is maintained pretty well. Our room was clean and didn't have any odors. The pool isn't the best, but is still usable. The breakfast is pretty good - heavy with "white flour" foods, but they did put out a bowl with oranges and apples. I agree with others that the towels were dingy and stained. All the staff were helpful and friendly.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We are actually in the process of phasing out all our older linen as we just got brand new linen in. As to the breakfast if you have any ideas you'd like to share with me I would definitely be willing to listen as I'm always open for suggestions to make it better. Feel free to contact me at 231-436-5544.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just so everyone knows this will be pretty long but i want anyone considering spending their money here to know exactly what we went through....

To start off we arrived at exactly 5pm when check in begins. We were on our honey moon and were ready to unpack, clean up, relax for a bit from driving all day before we checked out the city. Come to find out the room wasn't ready. We weren't too upset because we wanted to check out around town so we left for an hour to shop. We come back at 6pm to find our room hasn't even been cleaned yet when the receptionist said they should be done in a few min at 5pm. after 30 more minutes of waiting in the car they finally had our room ready. We get our key and go to the room where we are greeted with the smell of ammonia and old library books. Once we unpacked i went to go shower and the shower was molding, rusted and had only 1 tempurature...EXTREMELY hot. we tried for 45 min to get it to maybe lukewarm but it seemed to just get even hotter. we gave up and tried to talk to the front desk about our problem in hopes we would get it fixed and the front desk man was anything but helpful. after explaining to him that we had tried running it then shutting it off and running it again 5 min later we had asked to speak to the maanger. The front desk man said he would let the manager know and send him to our room.
2 hours went by and no sign of a manager so my husband went back to see what was taking so long and the guy said the manager just left for the night but would call him to have him come back. another 2 hours go by and were getting frustrated. the front desk man just ends up moving us to a different room which was worse. toilet didn't work, carpet, chairs and sheets were badly stained and the towels looked anything but clean. again the front desk man said he would talk to the manager but 30 min later we see him just wondering around the lot. we asked where the manager was and he said he called but the manager didn't answer. This would have been fine if the guy came to our room to just notify us so we were sitting around our room waiting. finally we were fed up and asked if the guy could just look at the room himself and instead of just checking it out he moves us again for the 3rd! time!
No we were moved to a THREE full sized bed room and there was only two of us....
The beds were so uncomfortable our backs were killing us, the stench was unbearable, shower was absolutely disgusting and the water pressure was so hard in the shower in hurt but so low in the sink that it barely ran out of the faucet. Sadly enough the water even tasted like metal. The tv's were so fuzzy you couldn't even watch it and 3/4 of the channels weren't even working.
There was also no clock in our room, no Do Not Disturb signs and most of the outlets weren't even working. Lights in the lamps were flickering on and off the whole time and walls, the fridge froze ALL of our food, floors were so dirty it looked like they havent been cleaned for a year and ceiling so paper thin that we could here and feel people jumping and running around above us. When bringing this to the front desks attention they laughed and that was that. Worst customer service i have ever seen.
We were supposed to stay 3 nights but after the 2nd night we were so fed up with it that we cancelled our last night and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express where they treated us like we were special and taken care of.
We finally saw Zac the manager at check out and brought all of this to his attention and come to find out, none of the employees we asked to call Zac even called him or told him about our problems. Its not Zac's fault at all that all this happened to us because no one even bothered to let him know. We appreciated how much he wanted to help us and how nice he was but we had already booked somewhere else and were so fed up with the other employees and the rooms itself that we just wanted out of there.
To sum it all up, my husband and i will never go back to this place. EVER. We would honestly rather spend the extra money to feel like we are actually welcomed somewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jocelyn C

I definitely apologize for your stay. I do apologize for my staff and did address the situations with all of them. I know we got to talk in person when you checked out and hope that you will consider giving us another chance. Hopefully this time we can wow you and I can show you what a typical stay should be like. If there's anything I can do please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night before our trip over to the island. The minute we opened the room door the stench knocked you over. Pool was gross and hot tub even worse. Towels were stained and it was questionable as to whether the sheets on the bed were clean.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank MomandMacy
Zachary C, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thanks for the review. I do apoligize that your stay was unsatisfactory. Not sure what you mean by the pool being nasty and the hot tub even worse as the pool was just painted this year and is inspected and maintained regularly. I apoligize that your room was bad however I am unable to help you when you don't bother to bring it to our attention as we could have relocated you into a different room or addressed the situation in the appropriate manner. If you'd like to discuss this matter with me in further detail you may contact me at 231-436-5544.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Horrible rooms... the rooms were stinking so bad that we had to walk out of the room in the middle of the night. We were out all day but dreaded to come back to the rooms. Room service was bad, the carpet and furniture was completely stained and the Jacuzzi was a joke. After flushing it once we got in and the moment the Jacuzzi started it smelled like drainage water making us jump right out of it.
The towels were very unclean as well.
I would never ever go again..

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank moreketaki
Zachary C, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

I apologize for your bad experience with us. I would've been happy to correct the situation had I know about the problem. I do apologize for the issues as I do try my best to provide everyone with a clean room at a affordable price and will definitely address the problems with the room. I hope that you'll try us again though and let us WOW you on your next visit.