“You Get What You Pay For - Lesson Learned”

Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed 11 September 2013

While being on the less expensive side in Mackinaw City, this hotel was a complete let down from what is shown on their website. We rented a king-size Jacuzzi room for two nights. The first night we walked into a very musty, stale room with small holes in the carpet and pop (or something) all over the inside door. We tried to turn on the AC and it wouldn't work. Front desk clerk tried to contact a maintenance person but was unable to and said she'd send "someone" to our room when she got a hold of them. She didn't know how long it would take. After about 20 minutes, with my head beginning to stuff up from the bad smells in the room, my husband went to the front desk and asked her to switch our room. Which she did. We moved all of our luggage into our new room then tried to catch up with friends at the pool/spa. The pool had no underwater lighting and was NOT heated! The spa/whirlpool was heated but did not whirl (broken). When we went back to our room I had settled in bed with a book when I glanced at the Jacuzzi tub and noticed the 5 inch "scum/soap" line around it. Too late to worry about it I waited until morning. After a completely lacking continental breakfast (waffles and juice with fruit flies around it) I went to the front desk and asked for cleaning rags and a bottle of spray. The front desk clerk (a new one) asked what the issue was and I explained that the tub had a large scum line around it. She stated "well that's gross!" I agreed. One of the cleaning people was getting his cart ready and he said "oh, wait just a second and took the bottle of spray the clerk had handed me". Nice, I thought, he's going to come and clean it for me. But that wasn't the case. He had taken the bottle to their storage area and returned with a full one, handed it to me with a smile and said "here you are - just leave it in the room when you're done and the maid will get it"!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Me, my husband and 11 others were in our group and staying there for the weekend. We will be taking our business elsewhere next time we are in Mackinaw City!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Becky B
Zachary C, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

I apologize that your stay wasn't satisfactory. We did try and make it right by you and was under the impression that everything was fine. I did take the cleaning bottle and go fill it up as you told me several times that you didn't want me the general manager in your room that you wanted to take care of it yourself. I did apologize and as I stated thought that the situation was taken care of. If you'd like to further discuss it with me we can try to make the situation right by you.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

My family rented 3 rooms here over a weekend. The rooms were very damp and musty smelling. Fairly clean, garbage under the bed but mostly outdated.Also, we had no hot water, would have to let it run forever to get it. We were in 2nd floor rooms which was very tough with babies since there is no elevators. We were sad because the pool was disgusting!!! Our kids could not swim. The floor was filthy, lots of rust on everything and mold. Very outdated! The hot tub didn't even work was a tub of hot dirty water and a broken hanging light fixture over it. The pool even had tons of dirt on the bottom! The breakfast is slim pickings as well. I left I'll from the moldy room! Spend the extra bucks and stay in town and enjoy the beautiful city. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank hilly77
Zachary C, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

I want to apologize for your stay not being satisfactory. I definitely remember your group as you checked in rooms 219, 220, and 221. I don't like to see any ones vacation ruined. As to the problems you had I would have been happy to address them to the best of my ability had you brought it to my attention or the front desk attention as I can't fix something unless I'm made aware of it. As to the problem of being on the second floor because of you having small children I do apologize but there was no note of a request stating that you would like a first floor room. I do try and always accommodate request to the best of my ability but being that it was a full house I wasn't able to accommodate you. If there is anything I can do for you or you want to discuss the situation more with me please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. No issue like the other reviews. The Wi-Fi signal was very weak (room 209) so we had to use our “HOT SPOT”. It was basically just a place to sleep and to move on. Never looked at the pool or used the free breakfast, I prefer a real breakfast, eggs, bacon, etc. There was a Corvette show going on and that’s way the parking lot was awesome.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi get a room close to the hot spot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Zachary C, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you'll choose us again. I apologize that the WiFi wasn't working properly and I do assure you it is something that we are working on.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here a few weeks ago while I was in Michigan for my mother's funeral and needed some "me" time after a lot of hectic days with relatives. Initially I reserved a regular room but when I arrived I decided I'd rather have a jacuzzi room. The manager, Zachary, was very gracious and as a Best Value Club member he offered me the upgrade without any major bump in cost (this is a Best Value policy for club members who ask for an upgrade, I did not realize it at the time). The room was absolutely WONDERFUL! Clean, fresh, and quite relaxing. I found none of the things other reviewers claim they found. In fact, quite the opposite! Everything worked well - I found no stains, no smells, no ANYTHING out of the ordinary. The in-room jacuzzi was out of this world, and quite relaxing. I think I spent more time in the jacuzzi than anywhere else :) I could tell Zachary was genuinely concerned about my comfort and he went out of his way to make sure I had a pleasant stay. His ability to train new desk personnel was impressive, and I found his staff to be just as pleasant, smiley, and cheerful as he was. The area was quiet, the grounds were pleasant and well-kept, and I saw no sign that would indicate neglect. In the morning when I checked out, the housekeeper saw that I was ready to leave and politely did other rooms to give me time to clear out, whereas at other places I've stayed (a ton of them) housekeepers bang on the door and literally push visitors out prior to checkout time. At the checkout desk there again was Zachary at work with his pleasant team, and checkout went smoothly. All in all, this is a very pleasant place to stay and I highly recommend it. Zachary is to be commended for his excellent management style and his professional friendly personality - he's a real natural when it comes to running a quality America's Best Value Inn! Zachary, thanks again for such a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Reserve a jacuzzi room, they're FANTASTIC!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you will choose us again. If there is anything at all I can do for you to make your next stay with us even better then the last don't hesitate to let me know. Please feel free to contact me anytime with any questions you might have or if you want me to book your next reservation personally.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

There is way too much to say. I will sum it up by saying read the reviews on here. They are accurate. Deidra at the front desk was rather rude to us. The general manager has some big problems on his hands. I wish I would have checked out reviews prior to booking room.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Travelinklan

Thanks for the review. I apologize for your stay and would like to discuss the matter with you personally if you could please contact me at 231-436-5544. I do hope that you'll contact me and hopefully consider giving my hotel another try.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This is an older hotel that is maintained pretty well. Our room was clean and didn't have any odors. The pool isn't the best, but is still usable. The breakfast is pretty good - heavy with "white flour" foods, but they did put out a bowl with oranges and apples. I agree with others that the towels were dingy and stained. All the staff were helpful and friendly.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We are actually in the process of phasing out all our older linen as we just got brand new linen in. As to the breakfast if you have any ideas you'd like to share with me I would definitely be willing to listen as I'm always open for suggestions to make it better. Feel free to contact me at 231-436-5544.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just so everyone knows this will be pretty long but i want anyone considering spending their money here to know exactly what we went through....

To start off we arrived at exactly 5pm when check in begins. We were on our honey moon and were ready to unpack, clean up, relax for a bit from driving all day before we checked out the city. Come to find out the room wasn't ready. We weren't too upset because we wanted to check out around town so we left for an hour to shop. We come back at 6pm to find our room hasn't even been cleaned yet when the receptionist said they should be done in a few min at 5pm. after 30 more minutes of waiting in the car they finally had our room ready. We get our key and go to the room where we are greeted with the smell of ammonia and old library books. Once we unpacked i went to go shower and the shower was molding, rusted and had only 1 tempurature...EXTREMELY hot. we tried for 45 min to get it to maybe lukewarm but it seemed to just get even hotter. we gave up and tried to talk to the front desk about our problem in hopes we would get it fixed and the front desk man was anything but helpful. after explaining to him that we had tried running it then shutting it off and running it again 5 min later we had asked to speak to the maanger. The front desk man said he would let the manager know and send him to our room.
2 hours went by and no sign of a manager so my husband went back to see what was taking so long and the guy said the manager just left for the night but would call him to have him come back. another 2 hours go by and were getting frustrated. the front desk man just ends up moving us to a different room which was worse. toilet didn't work, carpet, chairs and sheets were badly stained and the towels looked anything but clean. again the front desk man said he would talk to the manager but 30 min later we see him just wondering around the lot. we asked where the manager was and he said he called but the manager didn't answer. This would have been fine if the guy came to our room to just notify us so we were sitting around our room waiting. finally we were fed up and asked if the guy could just look at the room himself and instead of just checking it out he moves us again for the 3rd! time!
No we were moved to a THREE full sized bed room and there was only two of us....
The beds were so uncomfortable our backs were killing us, the stench was unbearable, shower was absolutely disgusting and the water pressure was so hard in the shower in hurt but so low in the sink that it barely ran out of the faucet. Sadly enough the water even tasted like metal. The tv's were so fuzzy you couldn't even watch it and 3/4 of the channels weren't even working.
There was also no clock in our room, no Do Not Disturb signs and most of the outlets weren't even working. Lights in the lamps were flickering on and off the whole time and walls, the fridge froze ALL of our food, floors were so dirty it looked like they havent been cleaned for a year and ceiling so paper thin that we could here and feel people jumping and running around above us. When bringing this to the front desks attention they laughed and that was that. Worst customer service i have ever seen.
We were supposed to stay 3 nights but after the 2nd night we were so fed up with it that we cancelled our last night and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express where they treated us like we were special and taken care of.
We finally saw Zac the manager at check out and brought all of this to his attention and come to find out, none of the employees we asked to call Zac even called him or told him about our problems. Its not Zac's fault at all that all this happened to us because no one even bothered to let him know. We appreciated how much he wanted to help us and how nice he was but we had already booked somewhere else and were so fed up with the other employees and the rooms itself that we just wanted out of there.
To sum it all up, my husband and i will never go back to this place. EVER. We would honestly rather spend the extra money to feel like we are actually welcomed somewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jocelyn C

I definitely apologize for your stay. I do apologize for my staff and did address the situations with all of them. I know we got to talk in person when you checked out and hope that you will consider giving us another chance. Hopefully this time we can wow you and I can show you what a typical stay should be like. If there's anything I can do please feel free to contact me.