“Very nice”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
New Jersey
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

This is a very nice facility for the price. We had a one bedroom suite which had 2 rooms. 4 adults and 2 small children fit nicely. Breakfast was nice also.

• Liked — spacious, great location, clean
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Familytravel20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Wyandotte, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

We went to the Mackinaw Area on vacation, and this hotel was our first stop. We have stayed in various hotels in Mackinaw City in the past, and I would have to say that this is one of the nicer hotels with beach front rooms.

If location is important to you, this is your hotel. You could basically drive here, park your car and walk to just about everything. Close to everything, with three restaurants directly across the street, and within a short walking distance to mini golf, Mackinaw Crossings and a Mackinac Island Ferry.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was nice, with a nice pool, a small game room, and ice & vending machines on each floor. Depending on the location of your room, a view of Mackinac Island and or the Bridge off in the distance can be seen. The hotel does have an elevator, so maneuvering stairs is not required here.

We booked a non-smoking room with two queen beds and a beach front view. We were not disappointed! The room was very clean and the beds were VERY comfortable with extra pillows and plenty of towels in the room. The room came with a new refrigerator and a new flat screen TV, a coffee maker and an iron & ironing board.

The beach was great. There were lots of lounge chairs and a nice deck for those who wanted to sit outside by the lake, without having to walk in the sand.

The breakfast buffet was similar to those you find in other hotels in the city and included scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits & gravy, waffles, donut holes, a tropical fruit cocktail, and the usual breads, bagels, cereals…. The room was huge, with a nice view and plenty of seating for everybody.

This hotel is very nice and we will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The room was very clean with comfortable beds and a nice view, and a good breakfast.
  • Disliked — The room rates, although comparable to other beach front hotels in the city, are a bit high.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Blaze123
Bloomington, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2008

Judging a hotel stay is all about expectations. This hotel was built in 2006 overlooking the Straits. For $115 I wanted more. Will I stay there again? No. It was "just okay."

• Liked — Proximity to the ferry service to Mackinac Island
  • Disliked — The cheaply built and furnished "cold" room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

First the good news: a spacious room with two queen size beds for $85/night, single. Comfortable, clean bedding - large vanity area with refrigerator. Plenty of hot water for tub and shower - plenty of toweling. A short walk to the ferries for Mackinac Island.
Then the bad news: paper thin walls and flooring - haughty front office staff - they even tried bait-and-switch upon my initial arrival -see similar comments of other reviewers. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed May 2008
Garden City Mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

This has taken me a bit of time to write. Just never got around to it. When I originally made the resevation I asked for a room on he second or third floor. The day my family and I arrived I checked us in and when I looked at the number on the room key it was a 100 number. I didn't say anything at that point because we had gotten there late and I was tired. When we got to the room it definately did ot have a balcony. You are actually sleeping below ground level. It was almost grave-like. From where one sat on the patio you got to see a seagull's behind as he walked by. The room itself was good. Not great. I really prefe to have a bathroom vanity in the bathroom not out in the open. I like my privacy even when I am with my own kids and husband. The breakfast room you had to walk out in the elements to get to. So, if it was raining you were soaked by the time you got there. Also, there is a outside stairway which to me would be dangerous to use in the winter to get up to the breakfast room. Breakfast itself was fairly tasty. waffle maker always busy. Location was close to everything. The day we checked out I wrote comments on a comment card they had in the room and they never replied. I guess that was probably because some were negative comments about the room. Not great public service in that respect.

• Liked — location to everything
  • Disliked — room location
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank PETALS55
Northbrook, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2007

This facility is excellent and we had a nice stay for three nights. Breakfasts were excellent with make-your-own waffles and sausage patties in addition to standard fare. Everything was very clean. Staff was average in terms of friendliness and courtesy. We were with another couple and did not go for water-side rooms because we didn't feel the extra cost was worthwhile for us. We had adjoining rooms with a common entrance on the third floor court-side. Both rooms were spacious with two queen beds. One room had a separate sitting room with it's own TV; this room was separated from the bedroom by a sliding door. This arrangement would be ideal for families where someone likes to retire early while others like to watch TV late. The pool and workout room looked very nice although we didn't make use of either. At check-in they tried to upgrade us to King-bed rooms with jacuzzi tubs for $5 per night extra. When we decllined they offered it for nothing extra. We still declined and were lucky to get the "A" "B" adjoining rooms on the third floor.

• Liked — Very clean and well maintained
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed60062
Dublin, OH USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

The room and property were fine. The breakfast buffet was typical, except for the eggs which were funky.

One problem that I had was when I inquired about adding a second night stay. They stated that they could no longer honor my initial price and would have to charge me $30 a night extra. I began to walk away and then she said, how about $20 more a night. I felt like I was in a car dealer show room! I had to leave just on principle.

We left and found another hotel down the street for cheaper

It would seem that most of the new hotels on the beach are about the same price and may be owned by the same people. If you are on a budget, be careful to ask for the cheapest room rather than what they offer you, which is usually a suite on the beach.

• Stayed August 2007
Comfort Inn Lakeside
Comfort Inn Lakeside
#16 of 39 in Mackinaw City
BEST WESTERN Harbour Pointe Lakefront

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!