“Not really clean, but really nice people.”
Review of Thunderbird Inn

Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
LAKEVILLE
“Not really clean, but really nice people.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here one night for the Minis on the Mac event last August. The beds were nice and firm and I did sleep well which I suppose is the main thing. However, there was a brown scum line on the sink where the faucet attaches, also the bathroom floor wasn't super clean, the thing that got me the most was the 8 inches of accumulating water while showering, I actually had to stop and let it drain because I can't stand shower water around my ankles. Also, I regrettably let out a couple of "JFC's" when the water went from normal hot to scalding hot and then to freezing cold. The people running the place are very nice, I assume it's not easy. I would suggest a good power washing of the outside of the building, especially the stair wells, etc. Why leave a review now? Because I'm making a return trip to the area and regrettably I'm reading some new reviews of the same complaints that were made last fall. It's a cute, quiet place, just needs a little elbow grease.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JAN S
Steven C, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your review. Whether you stayed a week ago or months ago we still appreciate the feedback. All of your concerns have been addressed. We have undergone a management transition from last year and my main goals are to provide clean rooms and great service. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Niles, Michigan
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here last fall and enjoyed the location. We got a steal towards the end of the season and couldn't have been happier. The only complaint was how quickly the shower temp changed from ice cold to scalding hot.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kelly2876
Steven C, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us last fall. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Flatwoods, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel was simple and clean and served its purpose. We did not go to the pool or eat the breakfast so I have no opinion of either of those things but the room was nice and clean and there wasn't any noise issues. The hotel staff was friendly and it was located close to downtown within biking or walking distance to shops and/or the ferry so you could leave your car at the hotel and get on the Mackinac Island ferry!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank Jason and Carri... M
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We try very hard to ensure everyone has a great vacation while here in Mackinaw. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy our pool or breakfast. Maybe next time. :) Thank you fro the nice review.
Flatwoods, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were worried because when we booked our stay we were taking our parents with us. The hotel was a nice older one but it was fine for one night. We were within walking distance of downtown where the shops and marina are and the land is flat so the walking was great. If I had to give it one critique it would be that the free breakfast wasn't up to standard, but overall I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I don't remember seeing an elevator so better check that if you need one.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason and Carri... M
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed everything at the hotel. I wanted to let you know I have received other comments on breakfast and we are looking into what we will do differently this next season. Any recommendations would be great. Thank you again Teresa
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Perfect for the one night we stayed. Priced right. Room was clean and bed was great. Breakfast was ok. Just the regular stuff you see at most hotels. No meats. Pool was closed for season. Would stay here again. Good in/out place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vette079
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in your travels to Mackinaw in the future. I do apologize for the pool being closed we try and leave it open till the last possible day we can but some seasons it just gets to cold towards the end and its impossible to heat. Again I'm glad you enjoyed everything. Thank you Teresa
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This motel was a very fair price. I have stayed here twice. The rooms were large, clean, and in good shape. The beds were comfortable. There is very little road noise. There is a separate room by the pool where a breakfast buffet is available, 6:00 to 9:00 AM. There is a small nature center across the road, the McRae Nature Park. The heater for the room can be somewhat noisy. We did come back a couple of days later and spent another night, and I would stay here again. You can tell that the staff works at making this motel a nice place.

Regrettably, there were two problems.

First, it seems to take a long time to get hot water. Perhaps a circulating pump was not working. Then, the hot water temperature can fluctuate. This can change rapidly while you are taking a shower, and can come unexpectedly. Be careful. I think that this would be easy to fix if the shower valves were to be updated to tempering valves.

Second, the rooms that have connecting doors are not soundproofed very well. It was easy to hear the people and the television next door. Fortunately, it was quiet after 9:30 pm.

Room Tip: In rooms with connecting doors you can hear your next-door neighbor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert R
As always we are happy you returned and enjoyed your stay and the price. I do apologize about the adjoining doors and the hot water we did have a circulating pump that quit working we were unaware of. This has since been fixed and I hope to see you again in the future. Thank you Teresa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I chose this hotel in the last minute but It was a great choice. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. The start offering the breakfast at 6:30 am so if you plan to travel early you can still enjoy your free breakfast. I was happy that they have Belgian waffle for breakfast.
The pool is the best part, it is really warm and it is open 24 hours. It is clean and nice. They also have fruits and coffee available all the time.
The TV has a problem with the cable but I called the front office and they told me how to fix it right away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sofia M
Thank you so much for your nice review. I am glad you enjoyed the 24 pool hours and everything else. If I can assist you any further in the future please don't hesitate. Thank you Teresa