“It is not as advertised”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Kewadin, Mi
“It is not as advertised”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent a night at this hotel. We arrived late at night so actually had to go next door to the Comfort Inn to check in. The host there did not give us directions to our room but in answer to a question said we were in one of the cabins (they have both cabins and a motel unit)!. We drove around trying to find our cabin. It was dark and the numbers are not visible from the car so we had to stop every so often and I would get out and walk up to a cabin to check the) number. No luck doing that so we finally went back to the Comfort Inn and we were then shown a map and we were in the motel part. "Sorry about that." We were to have free wifi but we were not given the password and there was no answer in the office so no checking e-mail. The room descriptions say refrigerator in the room and there was one but it didn't work since there was no place to plug it in. The next morning we discovered there was no hair dryer. Next we went off to the full breakfast only to find a very, very long line because the breakfast is combined with all the people staying at the Comfort Inn. We opted not to stay. When we checked out I mentioned that we did not have wifi, a working fridge or a hair dryer. Her response was only that the cabins have hair dryers; people in the rooms must get one from the office. Not what the ad says. She also said that the reason for the long breakfast line was there were a lot of people staying there. (Well yeah) She went on to say that if we were the only guests there would not have been a line. She did not address the wifi or fridge issues. Her attitude was less than hospitable. The room was cute and clean but I can not recommend this motel, you don't get what they advertise and they don't seem to care.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CRHKewadin_Mi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Au Train, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The location of this property is great. Right across from a ferry to Mackinac Island. Our family stayed in one of the cabins, and everything was fine. There was plenty of room for six of us - the kitchenette was a nice addition. Even though, we have no real complaints, our cabin was clean and the beds were comfy, everything was tired looking...for the price, we expected more.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Penny F
Flint
Reviewed 18 June 2014

the room was wonderful & was pleasantly surprised it had a refrigerator. Also liked the fact that the ferry was right across the street as well. Very convenient. Wish there was a hair dryer, iron & ironing board like it stated it had but I prepared for it anyway since we were there to attend a wedding on the island. The breakfast was wonderful. The rooms looked remodeled & were very clean & nice. Missing a couple of light bulbs though. I did have to clean our hot tub before using it since it was dirty still.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah F
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We made reservations over 2months ago and now they cant find it.. the smoke detectors doesnt have batteries or the cover. The bathroom is horrible tiles are missing and there isnt enough room to turn around in it.. please dont go here.. they didnt try to help us at all when they couldn't find our reservations.. the staff have no clue about good customer service.. STAY AWAY...

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Miranda L
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We had reservations for two "cabins" located next to each other...we got there and the rooms were now "booked". Our view was the back of the cleaning staff loading-unloading, piles of dirty laundry! Room was filthy and hot! They had left the heat on (this was August) and we could not tolerate it! Air conditioning did not even begin to cool the room down. We went to front office to ask for a broom to clean all the spiders up and a fan to help my elderly mother-in-law cool down, the fan arrived approx. 1.5 hour later, it was beyond filthy! It had written on it "beach use" ! I would NOT recommend to anyone! We went to front desk to check out the very next day, explained to the manager all of the misery it was to stay there, we wanted a refund. He refused to even acknowledge our presence , after our entire list of events. We charged back the room on our CC! As we were leaving , two other guests, stopped us and gave their names and phone numbers, as they had similar experiences!!!

Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Joycey W
Leelanau County, Michigan
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Imagine discovering that instead of your mattress covered by a fitted sheet, it is instead only partially covered with a small flat sheet, that leaves the bottom third of the mattress pad exposed to your bare feet, ankles, and lower legs. Of course, you normally would not notice such with the top sheet, blanket, and bed spread pulled up and tucked nicely. Assuming this has happened before, how many other pairs of feet (clean and dirty alike) have touched that same mattress pad that your feet now rest upon. Absolutely unexceptable housekeeping practice or behavior. Add to that the large 12” x 12” green mold stain on the ceiling above the tub, and the visible water damage around the base of the tub. Doesn’t help that the office does not open until 7AM. So much for getting a receipt if you need to make an early morning exit. The nightly rate and outside appearance were very appealing, and at first glance so does the interior. But then you notice things and now have to wonder about the things you do not see so easily. There are many other lodging choices within 100’s of feet of this establishment. Go to one of those unless you do not mind the possibly of unpleasant housekeeping tricks.

Room Tip: Go to a competitor. And note that the Comfort Suites next door and Econo Lodge have common owners.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank birchpointmich
Tustin, Michigan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I decided to plan a surprise get-away to the Mackinaw area for my wife and used booking.com to complete our reservations. The web site showed that the Econo Lodge had 3 different king rooms with a spa still available (along with m`ultiple other choices) at a 30% discount bringing the cost down to only $87 per night. I booked the room, guaranteed it with my credit card and even got a confirmation (with a guarantee) email back about 15 minutes later. When we arrived, it was clear the place was pretty full but I wasn't worried I had my printed confirmation in my pocket...Oh, stupid me!

The attendant at the counter said "I'm sorry, we don't have any king rooms left". I explained that I had a reservation and pulled out my confirmation. She didn't even glance at it. "I'm sorry sir" she said, "The reservation you made online is no good if we don't have the rooms available. All we have left is a standard queen room, but I can give you that room for THE SAME PRICE!" (The queen room online was listed for $66)

Unfortunately, this is where I have to pause, because I was getting very, very angry! After a couple of very deep breaths; after a wait of about 30 minutes insisting that I WAS going to get a king room; after a not too polite conversation about customer service, bad internet reviews and violating a contractual agreement; after a phone call to apparently the head manager - they "found" that one of their unoccupied cabins was a king room with a spa...Go Figure? (Just know, that the picture of the cabins they show is NOT the rooms you are booking. The hotel rooms are behind those cabins.)

With the check-in nightmare behind us we made our way to our cabin. Parking is very limited, not only in front of the rooms, but also at the main check-in. The spaces are narrow and large vehicles will crowd the line. The cabin was "cozy" with the king bed taking up the majority of the room. It had a good ambiance giving us the feeling of a rustic yet modern room. also had a restroom with a large modern walk in shower (the shower had no ledges so you had to keep your shampoo and soap on the floor) and a spacious sink area. There was also a "back room" with the spacious spa which we really enjoyed. The best part about the spa room however was that it also had its own TV! We also really enjoyed the coffee maker in the room because they left enough coffee packets to make one pot at night and one in the morning. The major drawback of the room was the cleanliness. The toilet had not been cleaned properly and there was obvious mold and mildew growing on the ceiling above both the shower and the hot tub.

Don't believe for one moment that you'll have internet service either. Although that was also "guaranteed" we only had one bar of service from our room and that was sporadic. Most of the time we didn't have enough of a signal to even check email. It would start to load, then tell us that no signal could be found.

Sleeping interesting to say the least. We struggled all night long with the "fitted" sheet not fitting. It would pop off and we'd wake up to put it back on. 30 minutes later it would pop off again. The pillows would also slide down between the mattress and the wall, all the way to the floor, because there was such a huge gap between the headboard and the mattress. I think we'd have been more comfortable with out own sleeping bags!

Breakfast was another "adventure"! To get to the breakfast place we had to walk to ANOTHER HOTEL! We had to verify our room number at the front counter of this new place, then walk up the stairs to the third floor, then across a catwalk to another building where both hotels served breakfast at the same time. We should have just skipped it. The line was massive and we waited at least 30 minutes to get any food. Fake eggs, fake sausage patties and biscuits and gravy were the main course. They also had two waffle makers (this is what was holding up the line) but to eat anything, you needed to wait for each waffle maker to cook (about 3 minutes) and the line to move one more person. There was no fresh fruit, no pastries, and nothing else that looked edible. Again we would have been better off to get a greasy McMuffin at McDonalds!

The one redeeming virtue of this place is its location. It is within walking distance of all the local restaurants and shops and the ferry services to the island are directly across the street.

Honestly, if I had know this would have been as much hassle as it turned out to be, I would have spent the night in my own bed and done the 3 hour drive the next morning!

Room Tip: Don't be deceived by the photo, the hotel is located BEHIND the log cabins!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple